Living next door to ******?

Caporegime
I guess we might finally start getting some better solutions to the traveler issue:

I love how this gets seen as a bad thing though by some people... I mean no one forces travellers to break down gates etc.. and illegally camp in public parks.

Good. About time they were stopped. Sick of them coming round here, pulling up in our car parks, trashing the place, causing aggro in the pubs and stealing from local businesses trying to make a living. Needs to be stamped out.

Caporegime
Tory's gunna Tory. Need education and mental health policies for them also.

Well politics aside - it is about time that the police had some powers to specifically deal with them. Granted they could technically do more now but either out of policy or for practical reasons they don't bother and just stand by when the kids race around in cars on parkland etc...

I don't expect them to automatically confiscate cars/caravans either if such legislation were allowed - but the key thing is that they'd have the power to do so and so could just move travellers on immediately/as soon as they're seen to arrive without having to faff around with getting court orders etc.. and waiting for days while they stay, illegally tip a load of rubbish and the kids go off to rob the local shops....

With these encampments being illegal and a criminal offence they no longer have the route of just claiming it is a civil matter and they're there to keep the peace (while ignoring other law breaking from the travellers).

In some cases local authorities have managed to get some injunctions to stop a large number of people returning and those have been effective... actually getting some more robust legislation in place could be very effective.

Just as squatters in residential properties can be swiftly dealt with now (utterly ridiculous how long that was able to continue as a "civil matter") travellers ought to be told to GTFO immediately by the local plod too.

Soldato
Well politics aside - it is about time that the police had some powers to specifically deal with them. Granted they could technically do more now but either out of policy or for practical reasons they don't bother and just stand by when the kids race around in cars on parkland etc...

I don't expect them to automatically confiscate cars/caravans either if such legislation were allowed - but the key thing is that they'd have the power to do so and so could just move travellers on immediately/as soon as they're seen to arrive without having to faff around with getting court orders etc.. and waiting for days while they stay, illegally tip a load of rubbish and the kids go off to rob the local shops....

Where the travellers going to go though. I mean in plenty of regards I feel sorry for them as it's the only way of life they know. They've been molded mentally and emotionally into this being set over hundreds of years that they are unworthy people. They are similar to Jews in Europe over the last few hundred years.

They were probably kicked out of society many years ago because of criminal acts, mental problems or other and grouped together and have somehow managed to survive for hundreds of years by living on the fringe, inevitability they need to turn to crime to some degree to support themselves.

Caporegime
Where the travellers going to go though. I mean in plenty of regards I feel sorry for them as it's the only way of life they know. They've been molded mentally and emotionally into this being set over hundreds of years that they are unworthy people. They are similar to Jews in Europe over the last few hundred years.

They were probably kicked out of society many years ago because of criminal acts, mental problems or other and grouped together and have somehow managed to survive for hundreds of years by living on the fringe, inevitability they need to turn to crime to some degree to support themselves.
Absolute tosh. Most of them have more money than you or I will ever have. In the past maybe they needed to steal to survive, but these days they do it simply for easy money.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Absolutely no chance.

As it happens, this very scenario actually came up for us as we have been property hunting for a while (for our main house, which we never plan to sell, final home). A very nice property (Georgian, extensive grounds, good array of stables, outbuildings and garaging, excellent) at an excellent price seemed to languish on the market for ages. I couldnt work out why and thought that i'd jump at it, until i drove there and saw the Traveller site (WODC managed) in the same lane.

I believe the poor vendors ended up accepting over £500k under asking for the place, for us i wouldn't have considered it even at a large reduction like that.

Caporegime
Where the travellers going to go though.

They can go where they like so long as they don't start illegal encampments.

I mean that's like asking what are professional burglars going to do for a living if you make burglary more difficult. Or where squatters are going to live now if you don't let them illegally occupy residential homes so easily. Strangely enough the anti squatting law did the trick nicely.

Plenty of these travellers do actually have either houses or permanent pitches too.

Very rose tinted glasses way of looking at it... they're not all criminals, its just the ones you tend to hear about are the ones that cause problems! I don't see any issue with having some more robust legislation in place to swiftly move along the scumbags that just trash public parks etc...

People don't tend to hate say the fairground/circus people who set up when invited etc.. they hate the people who come along uninvited, trash their village/local community sand cause a mini crime wave + thousands in clean up costs for the council.

If they want to travel then they can source appropriate places to stop.

Soldato
They are similar to Jews in Europe over the last few hundred years.

There's a bit of a difference between being asked to move on without much recourse and mass execution though wouldn't you say?

I have no issue with travellers travelling but the illegal entry onto certain sites, petty local theft, zero regard for the local communities they move into, lack of being to even keep their camp clear of rubbish and leaving a huge mess for local authorities to clear up are reasons why they will always be on the fringe. Those are choices they can make which would include them but their attitude to us is often worse than ours to them.

Caporegime
They can go where they like so long as they don't start illegal encampments.

I mean that's like asking what are professional burglars going to do for a living if you make burglary more difficult. Or where squatters are going to live now if you don't let them illegally occupy residential homes so easily. Strangely enough the anti squatting law did the trick nicely.

Plenty of these travellers do actually have either houses or permanent pitches too.

Very rose tinted glasses way of looking at it... they're not all criminals, its just the ones you tend to hear about are the ones that cause problems! I don't see any issue with having some more robust legislation in place to swiftly move along the scumbags that just trash public parks etc...

If they want to travel then they can source appropriate places to stop.

None of them pay tax or the correct amount so I would say they are all criminals.

Caporegime
None of them pay tax or the correct amount so I would say they are all criminals.
They have no moral compass. The kids literally don’t know right from wrong half the time. If one of them sees an unattended bike for example, they will take it without so much as a thought as to whether it’s ok to take it.

If they can get it, they’ll take it. It’s as if they think they have a basic right to everyone else’s property.

Soldato
I have no problem dealing harshly with the type of scum that move onto land illegally and trash it, usually bringing a large crime wave to the local area.
There are though quite a large number of people living in vans now, some out of necessity, others through a lifestyle choice, and I would like to think any new legislation is not used as a blanket excuse to target anyone who doesn't happen to live in a house.

Soldato

You are demonstrating compassion and an appetite to actually look at root cause. That will not end well on this forum. :p

Soldato

If society can adapt to homosexuality being socially permissible in space of a couple of decades after being taboo for thousands of years, I'm pretty sure travellers can adapt to living in a house and having a job.

Caporegime
I have no problem dealing harshly with the type of scum that move onto land illegally and trash it, usually bringing a large crime wave to the local area.
There are though quite a large number of people living in vans now, some out of necessity, others through a lifestyle choice, and I would like to think any new legislation is not used as a blanket excuse to target anyone who doesn't happen to live in a house.

It doesn't seem to be, it is targeting trespassing - making intentional trespass a criminal offence. A homeless guy sleeping on the street isn't trespassing or at least not intentionally. (generally if he were to try it on streets that were actually private property as per the likes of Westfield etc.. then they'd already get moved on at the moment).

Soldato
when they all go electric how are they going to charge up their vehicles? splice into substations or take over a charging station for 2 days solid I guess.

Back
Top Bottom