New GPU: RX5700XT, 2060S or 2070S

RLC

RLC

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX960 to something a bit more modern.

I have a Samsung monitor that has Freesync which maybe favours the RX5700XT but maybe Ray Tracing is worth taking an RTXsuper instead.

Games I mostly plat at the moment: War Thunder, Skyrim and Metro.
I have an Intel i7-4790K processor and 16GB RAM.

Really I was looking at the 5700XT and the 2060S but I probably could stretch to a 2070S if it's worth it.
What's people's advice? Should I take the hit and go 2070S or go cheap(er) and get the RX5700XT and get a punch bag too? (I'm a teacher and think that'd be healthier stress relief than hitting the beer!)

My PC case can only take a max length of 30cm.

Thanks for the help! My first time buying a GPU.

Soldato
RX 5700 XT is like a huge upgrade, and you can find them from £330 for AIB, or OCUK have the Asus stock one for £299 after the cashback incentives.

Don't wait 6 months, given the card you've got now it'll be worth it, and then you can get a nice shiny new CPU/Mobo/RAM. :)

Associate
I had a 5700xt .... after 10 million blue screen of death scenarios with various gpu driver messages i changed to a rtx 2070 and ohhh emmmm geeeee not 1 single blue screen of death .
Ive had it about 3 weeks.
Amd drivers are not worth the hassle in my opinion

Soldato
I had a 5700xt .... after 10 million blue screen of death scenarios with various gpu driver messages i changed to a rtx 2070 and ohhh emmmm geeeee not 1 single blue screen of death .
Ive had it about 3 weeks.
Amd drivers are not worth the hassle in my opinion

Sucks when you have a bad experience, that may or may not be directly attributed to the claims of the driver and could have been a faulty card, a poor OS install or many other things.

I would say that Geforce cards are way more Noob friendly though, and when you have limited hardware and software knowledge, a small problem that could be easily resolved becomes a big issue.

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys.

So 2060S outta the window.

the RX5700XT is looking like a strong contender since the 2070Super is at the limit of my budget.

Next thing is should I eBay the old card or:
use it and the previous CPU I have (i3-4170) to build a cheap gaming PC to sell on Facebook/eBay?

p.s. I'm loving the gangster pictures!

Associate
AIB RX5700XT defo look out for deals on sapphire Pulse/nitro+ both great cards
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX960 to something a bit more modern.

I have a Samsung monitor that has Freesync which maybe favours the RX5700XT but maybe Ray Tracing is worth taking an RTXsuper instead.

Games I mostly plat at the moment: War Thunder, Skyrim and Metro.
I have an Intel i7-4790K processor and 16GB RAM.

Really I was looking at the 5700XT and the 2060S but I probably could stretch to a 2070S if it's worth it.
What's people's advice? Should I take the hit and go 2070S or go cheap(er) and get the RX5700XT and get a punch bag too? (I'm a teacher and think that'd be healthier stress relief than hitting the beer!)

My PC case can only take a max length of 30cm.

Thanks for the help! My first time buying a GPU.

Soldato
if you have a budget for a 2070super then go for that. its superior to the others mentioned but also comes with a price tag to back it up.

Back
Top Bottom