Best 49-55 inch TV around £500 - £700?

Associate
Best 49-55 inch TV around £500 - £700?

I can get 8% discount via work at Curry's then get Richer Sounds to match it also.

If there's a 49 inch TV near £700 then I would prefer that over a 55 inch for £500 for example.

What do you think of these?:

Samsung QE49Q60R - QLED - £730 no discount

Panasonic TX-50GX820B - LED - £643 with discount

LG 49SM8500PLA - Nanocell - £600 with discount

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Soldato
This is an awkward price as the quality of the TVs jumps a lot of you spend a little bit more.

You list the q60r Samsung, This TV is a step backwards over last years q6. However the q70r has full array dimming but is currently £999. Black Friday May see prices dip.

Sony XG95 is worth considering, similar price to the samsung above.

Associate
OP
Wait for black Friday. I want the Sony 49". Can get it for 875 at richer sounds. Hopefully black Friday lowers it

£875 is way out of my budget, £500-£700 is more sensible for me.

This is an awkward price as the quality of the TVs jumps a lot of you spend a little bit more.

You list the q60r Samsung, This TV is a step backwards over last years q6. However the q70r has full array dimming but is currently £999. Black Friday May see prices dip.

Sony XG95 is worth considering, similar price to the samsung above.

But out of the ones I've listed, which one tops the list? all of the TV's have got good reviews.

Again £999 is almost double what I wanted to pay. Ideally I want something for £700 or less!

Soldato
To be fair if it drops to £875 plus your discount, it’s not a huge leap above your £700 budget for a much better TV.

As for the TVs you listed, Those new LGs have been well received. Generally though I just recommend saving more money to buy the better TV.

Soldato
Get a Panasonic or Sony if going LCD (they both have great PQ out of the box and motion).

I’m sure for that money you can get a second hand OLED tho which would be my choice.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your advice guys. I have decided to go with the LG 49SM8600PLA as it's on sale and I got it for £609, it's got good reviews and a lot of features so hopefully the picture quality is decent too. If not I can always return it!

Soldato
Thanks for your advice guys. I have decided to go with the LG 49SM8600PLA as it's on sale and I got it for £609, it's got good reviews and a lot of features so hopefully the picture quality is decent too. If not I can always return it!

Some people criticise the LG nano cell TVs, but in a well lit environment or with ambient lighting, they can actually look pretty decent.

Edit: turn off the energy saver setting if the picture appears dull and too dark.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I cancelled the LG at the last minute in the end as I've read it doesn't handle black colors well and the HDR peak brightness is quite low.

I now have the Samsung UE49RU8000UXXU, got it for £560 from Argos. Very impressed with the TV for the money so far. I admit the HDR isn't super bright but that's not a huge deal. I am more impressed with the 4k up scaling as watching The Mandalorian in 1080p looked incredible!

@aoarron - OLED are just too expensive for me right now mate!

Permabanned
Managed to pick up a Sony KD-49XG9005 at the weekend as an open box item with full 6 year warranty for £800.

Very impressed so far and quite an upgrade over the LG 43UJ630V it replaced. Always worth a look in a local Richer Sounds you never know what you might find.

Soldato
Managed to pick up a Sony KD-49XG9005 at the weekend as an open box item with full 6 year warranty for £800.

Very impressed so far and quite an upgrade over the LG 43UJ630V it replaced. Always worth a look in a local Richer Sounds you never know what you might find.
This looks like the TV I’ll be getting too...

I’d like to go for an OLED, but I don’t think I can go any bigger than 50 inch, and I can’t find any OLEDs below 55.

Permabanned
This looks like the TV I’ll be getting too...

I’d like to go for an OLED, but I don’t think I can go any bigger than 50 inch, and I can’t find any OLEDs below 55.
Same boat, because of the way I’ve arranged my living room 55” just wouldn’t look right, 49” is just right.

Another factor was trying to convince my misses to part with a grand plus for OLED, although taking her in the store was a masterstroke, as she could then appreciate the difference between the lower to high end TVs.

Can’t deny the OLED’s were good but to be honest the difference between the 9505 and the master range was clear, I couldn’t justify the price increase. The tv that amazed me the most was the Philips 55OLED804, I really like the effects of Ambilight and the picture was very good, unfortunately £1500 was way out of our budget.

Associate
OP
What is the better TV between Sony XF900 and the Samsung Q70?

XF900 has 8.3 on Rtings and the Q70 has 8.4 so very similar.

I do see the Sony XF900 get referenced a lot here as the TV to go to if you're not buying OLED, is this true?

Basically after a week of returning/taking advantage of cashback/deals/codes I've managed to get the opportunity to buy a 55 inch version of the XF900 or Q70 for £620, these are MUCH better than the TV's I purchased earlier (LG SM8600 and the Samsung RU8000).

Last edited:
Soldato
I cancelled the LG at the last minute in the end as I've read it doesn't handle black colors well and the HDR peak brightness is quite low.

I now have the Samsung UE49RU8000UXXU, got it for £560 from Argos. Very impressed with the TV for the money so far. I admit the HDR isn't super bright but that's not a huge deal. I am more impressed with the 4k up scaling as watching The Mandalorian in 1080p looked incredible!

@aoarron - OLED are just too expensive for me right now mate!

How are you watching the mandalorian didn't know you could in the UK?

Soldato
What is the better TV between Sony XF900 and the Samsung Q70?

XF900 has 8.3 on Rtings and the Q70 has 8.4 so very similar.

I do see the Sony XF900 get referenced a lot here as the TV to go to if you're not buying OLED, is this true?

Basically after a week of returning/taking advantage of cashback/deals/codes I've managed to get the opportunity to buy a 55 inch version of the XF900 or Q70 for £620, these are MUCH better than the TV's I purchased earlier (LG SM8600 and the Samsung RU8000).

XF is strictly better. Better motion, better upscaling, better colour accuracy, better calibration out of the box, better handling of near-black detail, has dolby vision support, basically better a lot of things. Where the Q70R is better is wrt input lag and some gaming features (eg it has freesync for both PC & Xbox), and it has less blooming than the sony but with the trade off being a lot more black crush being introduced.

There's really no reason to ever buy the Samsung unless it's much cheaper or has some other bonus.

Associate
OP
XF is strictly better. Better motion, better upscaling, better colour accuracy, better calibration out of the box, better handling of near-black detail, has dolby vision support, basically better a lot of things. Where the Q70R is better is wrt input lag and some gaming features (eg it has freesync for both PC & Xbox), and it has less blooming than the sony but with the trade off being a lot more black crush being introduced.

There's really no reason to ever buy the Samsung unless it's much cheaper or has some other bonus.

That..makes my decision much easier haha.

All of the things you said are true after reading more reviews and searching on forums so that's great.

The TV won't be used for gaming so input lag isn't a big deal.

Thanks for the input everyone. TV arrives tomorrow, can't wait :D

Soldato
Well, I got the SM8600 yesterday (55 inch, £660 from RS) and am very happy with it. Crystal clear picture, and while not as vibrant in HDR as the OLEDs I looked at with it, it's an impressive set for the price. Plus I'm coming from an 8 year old 37 inch LED, so it feels like a gigantic upgrade.

Picked up a Sonos beam with it to add to my two Play 1s, which is great too

Back
Top Bottom