Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
What do people think about the black levels on the Rift S - I've just got one after having a CV1.

Understand that CV1 is OLED and S is LCD, and that OLED is much better for black levels.

Some games such as Affected The Manor look very grey and makes it tricky to make out details - it's like the game needs to have a brightness slider like you get in a lot of desktop apps to fine tune the settings. Aware that the S will never be as good as CV1 in this regard, but it feels like the S could display a better black image with some minor adjustments, or do you think Oculus have this dialed to the best settings already?

The CV1 black level for an OLED was crap so its not a HUGE downgrade.

Still not great but the direction VR has moved in, the only other headsets which you an consider for good black levels and current gen are vive pro and quest.

quest is limited to 72hz with occy link cable
vive pro is too close to the index

Soldato
What do people think about the black levels on the Rift S - I've just got one after having a CV1.

Understand that CV1 is OLED and S is LCD, and that OLED is much better for black levels.

Some games such as Affected The Manor look very grey and makes it tricky to make out details - it's like the game needs to have a brightness slider like you get in a lot of desktop apps to fine tune the settings. Aware that the S will never be as good as CV1 in this regard, but it feels like the S could display a better black image with some minor adjustments, or do you think Oculus have this dialed to the best settings already?

also yes agreed. i know for vaider immortal there is a gamma tweak. i believe valve have got a brightness slide for index users. sadly oculus arent a fan of letting us control the color or brightness on our headsets.

Associate
The CV1 black level for an OLED was crap so its not a HUGE downgrade.

Still not great but the direction VR has moved in, the only other headsets which you an consider for good black levels and current gen are vive pro and quest.

quest is limited to 72hz with occy link cable
vive pro is too close to the index

As the owner of a Vive Pro was considering an Index but at this time on a 1080ti I dont think it is worth as unless you have a 2080ti even then maybe not yet until a 3080ti arrives to really take advantage of the hardware. At the moment horses for courses the Rift S for racing. The lesser framerate is outweighed by the clarity edge to edge which means i can glance rather than turn my head. The rift S is better reading gages and info boxes. You can really notice this when playing ATS for example. Im not that bothered by godrays or deep blacks but I would always use the Pro to play table tennins where the refresh rate is much more noticably smoother.

Soldato
Just fitted the Modicap SoundKit to my Rift S. This is a professional audio mod which uses Sennheiser HD 25 drivers. It’s a little bit pricey, but the sound is really good and avoids the faff of juggling separate headphones. The Sennheisers really thump out the soundtrack on Pistol Whip - my god that’s an intense game.

Soldato
Just fitted the Modicap SoundKit to my Rift S. This is a professional audio mod which uses Sennheiser HD 25 drivers. It’s a little bit pricey, but the sound is really good and avoids the faff of juggling separate headphones. The Sennheisers really thump out the soundtrack on Pistol Whip - my god that’s an intense game.

Where do you get that from?

Associate
Is the Rift S worth the upgrade over the standard rift? ive just started playing some driving Sims and im thinking the extra res might be beneficial.

Soldato
Is the Rift S worth the upgrade over the standard rift? ive just started playing some driving Sims and im thinking the extra res might be beneficial.
The res increase and change of display technology does result in a sharper image with less screen door effect. But then lack of physical IPD adjustment and an audio downgrade are cons against the Rift S. The biggest improvement for new comers is the inside-out tracking which means no need for external sensors. So overall, perhaps a bit of a side-grade for you?

Associate
The res increase and change of display technology does result in a sharper image with less screen door effect. But then lack of physical IPD adjustment and an audio downgrade are cons against the Rift S. The biggest improvement for new comers is the inside-out tracking which means no need for external sensors. So overall, perhaps a bit of a side-grade for you?

Hmmm possibly, I also don't have a lot of room which the built in tracking might help with?

Soldato

This perspective is actually very helpful, as I was thinking of upgrading my CV1 to either a quest or S, but it seems I may be better off waiting to se what a later gen has to offer

Soldato
For sims the extra clarity is a big step up. I'm considering a Rift S because of this, though the audio and tracking will be worse than my CV1.

Soldato
For me, driving sims are exactly where you will see the maximum benefit of the Rift S's extra resolution. On the Rift, when you're on a long straight, things in the distance are very pixellated.

Associate
For me, driving sims are exactly where you will see the maximum benefit of the Rift S's extra resolution. On the Rift, when you're on a long straight, things in the distance are very pixellated.

yeah thats exactly whats making me wonder. How much clearer is the Rift S in comparison? If its not much better ill wait for the next Gen but im not even sure anything is even in the pipeline for that?

Soldato
yeah thats exactly whats making me wonder. How much clearer is the Rift S in comparison? If its not much better ill wait for the next Gen but im not even sure anything is even in the pipeline for that?

Judging by how clear the Oculus Go is compared to the CV1 (The Go uses the same panel and lenses) it'll be a massive improvement from a clarity point of view at the expense of greyer blacks and no IPD adjust.

Sims are the main reason I want to upgrade from CV1, though the Quest with link cable may be good enough for these once it comes out of beta.

Associate
Judging by how clear the Oculus Go is compared to the CV1 (The Go uses the same panel and lenses) it'll be a massive improvement from a clarity point of view at the expense of greyer blacks and no IPD adjust.

Sims are the main reason I want to upgrade from CV1, though the Quest with link cable may be good enough for these once it comes out of beta.

hmmm i may have to demo one first before i jump.

Back
Top Bottom