The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Anything that's not nailed down...

This, i wouldn’t leave something like a nest (assuming I had the original bits, you would need to leave the heating in working order) or CCTV system or bathroom mirrors if they could be reasonably removed. That sort of stuff could cost £1k+ to replace.

Basically you can take anything that isn’t on the inventory. In fact you should really take everything that isn’t. Most people take a view to thing like curtains and loo roll holders when they fill out the forms. If they don’t want it or can’t be bothered to take it down it gets put on the form. Otherwise it’s taken. It’s up to you to accept the inventory as a part of the contract. You are not obligated to accept people leaving certain things behind.

You should be guided by what’s on the form, you aren’t obligated to leave anything (including the insulation!) but you should expect your buyer to pull out of you don’t leave the kitchen/bathroom/insulation in place for instance.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I'd view a nest thermostat as part of the heating system as installed, ie, a fitting. Where do you draw the line? Would you also swap the boiler out for an old one off eBay if you had a decent one? It amounts to the same thing doesnt it?

Soldato
I'd view a nest thermostat as part of the heating system as installed, ie, a fitting. Where do you draw the line? Would you also swap the boiler out for an old one off eBay if you had a decent one? It amounts to the same thing doesnt it?

I suppose the cost of swapping a boiler could be quite high but realistically i wouldn't see the issue with that, although i personally wouldn't.

Something like Next Cameras i'd imagine to be part of a negotiation. But if you want them at the new house then i'd take them. They're expensive to replace

Soldato
I'd agree with the above regarding leaving the nest heating as that is now part of the boiler/central heating system. If it's a Nest Hello or Nest Protect, then too right i would take them with me. Just make sure your inventory lists are clear.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I'd agree with the above regarding leaving the nest heating as that is now part of the boiler/central heating system. If it's a Nest Hello or Nest Protect, then too right i would take them with me. Just make sure your inventory lists are clear.
My view also. Cameras, things like this, they are superflous technology which you would never expect to be included with a property. I'd categorise them in with computers or televisions. A Nest thermostat though, this is an integral part of the central heating system and to be honest swapping it i would view in the same manner as someone swapping the water cylinder, boiler/integrated appliances for inferior items prior to completion.

Soldato
My view also. Cameras, things like this, they are superflous technology which you would never expect to be included with a property. I'd categorise them in with computers or televisions. A Nest thermostat though, this is an integral part of the central heating system and to be honest swapping it i would view in the same manner as someone swapping the water cylinder, boiler/integrated appliances for inferior items prior to completion.
Just depends if it was mentioned on the inventory that you fill in during the sale process. If the inventory mention CCTV (unlikely) then you must leave it. Just like if the inventory doesn't mention a specific or 'smart' thermostat, then it's safe to swap it out before you move.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
The general advice is; if you tip the house upside down, anything that doesnt fall out you leave. That would include the thermostat. Taking curtains etc is expected, but fittings depend on the fixtures and fittings forms you completed.

Soldato
The general advice is; if you tip the house upside down, anything that doesnt fall out you leave. That would include the thermostat. Taking curtains etc is expected, but fittings depend on the fixtures and fittings forms you completed.

Being pedantic, but if you tipped a house upside down, the curtains wouldn't fall out - they'd just hang on the rail the other way round.

In theory a lot of "freestanding" stuff that's usually bolted to a wall or ceiling for security/safety would fall into this category too.

The contents and fittings form that the seller has to fill out is pretty descriptive, so i would say if you're planning on removing the smart thermostat and replacing it with a dumb one, then it would be better to mention that on the form.

Soldato
Being pedantic, but if you tipped a house upside down, the curtains wouldn't fall out - they'd just hang on the rail the other way round.

In theory a lot of "freestanding" stuff that's usually bolted to a wall or ceiling for security/safety would fall into this category too.

The contents and fittings form that the seller has to fill out is pretty descriptive, so i would say if you're planning on removing the smart thermostat and replacing it with a dumb one, then it would be better to mention that on the form.
Let's say you removed it and replaced it. How would the buyer ever prove that there was ever a smart one there?

Soldato
Ive read of people removing radiators and leaving bare wires hanging from the ceiling which sounds slightly dangerous. The lesson there would be to name everything included when buying, I'd want the central heating system left even if its possible to remove I dont want to be moving into a stone cold house and unable to occupy that house comfortably as it was used just prior. So sinks and stuff should be left, I guess it all has to be named to be sure.

My sister gave me her new address while she was moving, there was a 1 day offer for some kids toys for the garden which I sent to that address and it arrived earlier then written and the parcel was taken by the people selling the house which is pretty sad. Wasnt expensive but still

Soldato

The case law on this is pretty extensive and complex. It's far more complicated than you think.

Of course this is rarely used in practice but you still should be careful about what you are expecting to get with your new house, or to make sure your buyers don't have the wrong idea about what's going to be left.

Some people do weird things. I've got clients at the moment who arrived at the house to find every light fitting removed and bare wires exposed throughout the house. Boiler didn't work (stated to be in working order and recently serviced so god knows what they did) and a garden full of rubbish.

I turned up at my place to find a guy midway through clearing the house which was fine except he'd already taken all the nice plant pots and some other garden stuff to the tip which I would have liked :mad: My own fault for not specifying I wanted them I guess I just assumed they would stay as the seller was moving to a flat! . Also found they'd left a massive wardrobe in each bedroom probably because they are a pain to dismantle and move but worked for me as I didn't have any furniture.

Caporegime
Ive read of people removing radiators and leaving bare wires hanging from the ceiling which sounds slightly dangerous.

I was told this is illegal, and you must leave a functioning ceiling light fitting in every room unless you've actually specified otherwise.

I'm pretty sure every time I moved house in the UK neither I nor the person selling the house I moved into stuck precisely to the letter. I think most of the time people are pretty unbothered about small stuff. I don't care if they left a small table or a suitcase in the attic behing, or took a curtain I was expecting them to leave, and I don't think most people do. If, on the other hand, someone ran off with the smart thermostat I'd be calling the solicitor.

Soldato
I was told this is illegal, and you must leave a functioning ceiling light fitting in every room unless you've actually specified otherwise.

I'm pretty sure every time I moved house in the UK neither I nor the person selling the house I moved into stuck precisely to the letter. I think most of the time people are pretty unbothered about small stuff. I don't care if they left a small table or a suitcase in the attic behing, or took a curtain I was expecting them to leave, and I don't think most people do. If, on the other hand, someone ran off with the smart thermostat I'd be calling the solicitor.
I'm not sure I'd bother contacting the solicitor for that. It'll cost maybe a couple of hundred to replace and certainly not worth the agro of solicitors.

Associate
I know some cases where people have moved in and every single light bulb was taken, carpets ruined, or lots of junk left in the loft/garage.

Carry out a final viewing when you can - just prior to exchange?

If I walked into a property and bare wires were showing following completion; I would only have myself to blame (or I purchased from cretins). Bottom out during the negotiation; exactly what is going to stay in black and white.

Personally, I would not go quite to granular detail such as bulbs (is there not a minimum standard, where one bulb should stay in each room?) Whereas, I am more concerned that the place is treated respectfully during the sale and that any garage/loft space is cleared etc. If there is large furniture (wardrobes) you anticipate would be a nightmare shifting - ask if its being removed?

Essentially if in any doubt, I would detail and make it known, it sounds pedantic, only it can go some way to eliminate those grey areas.

Last edited:
Soldato
For my first purchase we arrived and the seller hadn't left (and the house was half full with his stuff). He had 'woken up late' and had a friend helping him empty the house who went upstairs which I thought was to start bringing stuff down. What he actually did was lock himself in the bathroom, have a shower, a number 2 and not flush before leaving.

We ended up basically kicking him out as his Audi A3 was full and he was just taking stuff and putting it into neighbours bins and a skip down the road.

Back
Top Bottom