**** The Official OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
My Note gets an easy life since I work from home and it just sits on wifi. I haven't done much tuning either since I lack the knowledge to debloat effectively.

Edit - how did the screen on time compare between the two in your usage gmac11? And how do you feel about the cameras?

Soldato
My Note gets an easy life since I work from home and it just sits on wifi. I haven't done much tuning either since I lack the knowledge to debloat effectively.

Edit - how did the screen on time compare between the two in your usage gmac11? And how do you feel about the cameras?
I couldn't give you an honest answer to the SoT for the Note, I just didn't have it long enough to gather any meaningful data. Currently my 7T Pro is on 60% - and it was taken off charge at 92% at 9.30 this morning. It's at 2.5hrs SoT so if you want to try and extrapolate I'd say that would leave it around 7hrs for a full 100% charge give or take? And those figures would be fairly typical for my usage.

Again I can't comment much on the camera quality but the Note definitely had that tiny shutter lag which resulted in many blurry photos. I find the 7T Pro camera very very good - for what it is. Yes it's not pixel quality but unless you're pixel peeping it takes some excellent shots.

Soldato
That's really helpful from both of you. I'm particularly interested to hear about the low standby drain on the OP since that's one of my bugbears with android.

Associate
That's really helpful from both of you. I'm particularly interested to hear about the low standby drain on the OP since that's one of my bugbears with android.

The OnePlus 7 Pro I have is very well optimised and hardly any drain on standby out of the box.

It also has some really good features in the OS i.e. Zen mode, reading mode and gestures to turn on flashlight etc when off, no duplication of apps i.e. emails, calendars etc

Have to agree on the S Pen, I hardly ever use mine either and feel I need to sometimes.

I'm intrigued in what the One Plus 8 will bring, IMO if they improved the camera and added wireless charging it would be the perfect device.

Soldato
I've heard 120hz for the op8, but who knows. Also I think their cameras are limited by simple economics. Apple/Samsung likely employ 1000+ people solely on the cameras. OP can't match that - I did read how many they employ but can't remember the exact number. It might be a couple of hundred.

Soldato
I love the 7T Pro and it's one of the few phones I've bought and really like it. I loved my S10e as well and it is a great phone but I just started to yearn for a bigger screen. I had my reservations about the 7T Pro as I'm not a fan of curved screens and I do like wireless charging however neither of things mattered in the end. It's hard to explain but the curves are less pronounced (for want of a better word). The curves on the Samsungs fall off more steeply whereas the 7T Pro are more gradual which makes it easier to grip and produces much less distortion/vignetting at the edges. I would still like wireless charging but the warp charge and battery life are that darn good it's just not necessary.

I had a 6T last year so knew what the software experience would be like and needless to say I wasn't let down.

Soldato
I'm having no joy with OP support about my storage dropping circa 20% after a recent update!

I've cleared my cache and during the same DM exchange on Twitter with support I've had no less than 3 messages all telling me to wipe my cache!

It's got to the point where I think it is some sort of automated response - whoever (or whatever) is answering is outright ignoring my questions and just posting generic steps to wipe the cache.

Wiping the cache by the way hasn't done anything and all I want to know is roughly how much space the system files should be taking up but the replies are just the same!?!?

Soldato
Got mine today, feel right at home after owning a Oneplus 5T and then ive had a year or so on the Pixel 3. It feels and looks fantastic. Camera isn't too bad either not as good but good enough for my needs.

Soldato
Got my 7t Pro. First impressions are pretty good - I like the simplicity and the overall device responsiveness is up there with the iPhone I had before getting a Note 10+.

I'd say that the Note 10 feels and looks a tiny bit more premium and early signs are the 7t battery will be noticeably inferior. Swings and roundabouts and the OP is quite a bit cheaper.

I'm not sure which I'll keep. I'll test the camera and the battery tomorrow and see how it goes. Certainly the OP lives up to the speed hype and is overall an excellent device.

Soldato
I'm surprised to hear that, I'd have said the 7T Pro battery should be much much better, most of the YouTube reviews seem to say so. It could be a case of letting the OnePlus learn your habits etc for the adaptive battery, can take up to a week to settle fully.
You also need to remember you're powering a 90gz display as well.

Soldato
My Note 10+ is at 7 hours screen on time today with 30% battery remaining. For my usage it's a beast. Very early usage of the OP makes me think it'll get to 7 hours SoT at zero %, which I'll be happy with.

It's a great phone so far :)

Soldato
Bleh just found out that my preferred browser doesn't support 90hz and there are some hoops to jump through to force max refresh on all apps. I don't want to switch browser as I want the favourites buttons at the bottom of the screen where I can easily reach them, which excludes almost every browser.

I'm also reading that the phone jumps between 60 and 90 Hz when scrolling content with embedded video. The implementation isn't quite what I'd hoped.

Soldato
Bleh just found out that my preferred browser doesn't support 90hz and there are some hoops to jump through to force max refresh on all apps. I don't want to switch browser as I want the favourites buttons at the bottom of the screen where I can easily reach them, which excludes almost every browser.

I'm also reading that the phone jumps between 60 and 90 Hz when scrolling content with embedded video. The implementation isn't quite what I'd hoped.
You know you can make Google Chrome have the bar at the bottom too right ? Works great.

Associate

Have you tried Via browser as that has all the buttons at the bottom? Address bar is at the top but there's shortcuts on each button allowing you to input URLs from a long press etc. Also supports 90hz and seems much smoother than chrome to me. Ad blocker built in too which doesn't seem to get flagged by certain websites. I was a long time Samsung internet user and still think it's one of the best out there but the lack of 90hz support swayed me to Via.

I just got my 7T last week and loving it so far. Like others have mentioned the adaptive brightness does seem to suck on a night in a dimly lit room though. I like it around 15-20% and adjust it accordingly but it never seems to remember and drops to like 10% the following night which is just a tad too dim. I had an LG G7 before this and the auto brightness just worked. Hopefully it'll get fixed cos apart from that no major complaints

Soldato
Thanks for the browser tips guys. I got the toolbar moved on Chrome but the bookmarks option on the popup menu is a bit of a stretch. I'll check out Via instead.

I really want to love this phone and I'm almost there. I also get the auto brightness issue which is a bit annoying. Every time I exit a game the brightness plummets.

Soldato
It sounded to me like you had made your decision almost on arrival.

I'm curious what makes the note better assuming your sticking with that ?

I'm really torn. What I've learned is that I should have stuck it out until next year until a wider variety of high refresh phones become available.

Come the new year I want to go to the gym :D and the galaxy watch I got with the note will play music. I can use it with the OP but have read it isn't quite so well integrated. Also I prefer the squareness of the Note and its battery is a couple of hours SoT better for my usage.

I dont think the Note is a better phone but I have to stick with one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom