**** The Official OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Tbf the iPhones have 120hz digitisers so that def helps with the smoothness even though the screens are still 60hz.

I think I'm going to go back to the iPhone. The experience is just that much more polished. The OnePlus struggles with GPS, Bluetooth is dodgy, screen flashes on high contrast backgrounds when scrolling (i.e. dark mode) when brightness is low... Just a few little niggles that ultimately leave me wanting to pick the iPhone up more than the OnePlus.

Battery life is awesome though - whole day of GPS, maps, music and web browsing and at 9pm I had 49%. Nice change from the iPhone.

Phone also feels very premium, apart from the vibration motor.

I still stand by what I said before - I think it's the best android phone you can get. No curved screen, very decent cameras (honestly pleasantly surprised) and a (generally) very smooth software experience.

Just let down by the fact it doesn't feel as polished as the iPhone. FaceID is absolutely awesome and the gesture system is phenomenal. The basics on the iPhone have been nailed.

Caporegime
Given an unlimited budget I'd get the iPhone 11 Pro for sure, looks *lovely* but when I got a 256GB 7T for £382 delivered then it kind of knocks it for six! I could have gotten the iPhone but just couldn't justify the outlay tbh, and the 7T seemed a great budget choice :)

Soldato
Given an unlimited budget I'd get the iPhone 11 Pro for sure, looks *lovely* but when I got a 256GB 7T for £382 delivered then it kind of knocks it for six! I could have gotten the iPhone but just couldn't justify the outlay tbh, and the 7T seemed a great budget choice :)

One of the reasons I came back to Android was to get away from Apple's price escalator. In a couple or three years their base storage Pro models are going to be £1200+ at the current rate of increase. When you can get a P30 Pro for £256 (admittedly not all the time :p ) or the 7T for the price you paid, it puts things into perspective. When the iphone 12 comes I might be singing a different tune but for the moment I dont want to be part of Apple's corporate greed.

Soldato
used mine solid for a good couple of weeks not one hiccup. Battery life is phenomenal a good 6.5-7hours SOT which is more than enough coming from the pixel 3 which did around half that.

I also tried a GCAM and it actually made my photos worse maybe theres a specific version i should try ?

Soldato
I think I'm going to go back to the iPhone. The experience is just that much more polished. The OnePlus struggles with GPS, Bluetooth is dodgy, screen flashes on high contrast backgrounds when scrolling (i.e. dark mode) when brightness is low... Just a few little niggles that ultimately leave me wanting to pick the iPhone up more than the OnePlus.
That seems a tad generalised no? I've never experienced any of these issues and haven't read about them on the forums or the OP community. I did have the flashing bars issue when charging with the Warp Charger but that has since been fixed with the latest update. I think the software experience is as flawless as you can get. Hardware wise I just wish it had wireless charging but I'll not lose any sleep over it.

Soldato
That seems a tad generalised no? I've never experienced any of these issues and haven't read about them on the forums or the OP community. I did have the flashing bars issue when charging with the Warp Charger but that has since been fixed with the latest update. I think the software experience is as flawless as you can get. Hardware wise I just wish it had wireless charging but I'll not lose any sleep over it.

How is it generalised? I'm talking about my experience with my OnePlus 7T:
  • When using maps in a city centre, it'll frequently lose connection and put me on a different road
  • Bluetooth connection with my Powerbeats Pro is inferior - I get drop outs when running that I didn't experience with my iPhone
  • When using dark mode on here or twitter, for example, at the lowest brightness (i.e. when I'm in bed) the screen flashes as I scroll, likely due to the response times going from black/grey to light colours not being great on OLED.
This is just my experience with my device. I'd ALWAYS used an Android over an iPhone because I felt it was more polished, but having used my iPhone for a year, I personally feel that the XS is a smoother, more consistent device which offers a superior, polished experience for my needs.

Soldato
How is it generalised? I'm talking about my experience with my OnePlus 7T:
  • When using maps in a city centre, it'll frequently lose connection and put me on a different road
  • Bluetooth connection with my Powerbeats Pro is inferior - I get drop outs when running that I didn't experience with my iPhone
  • When using dark mode on here or twitter, for example, at the lowest brightness (i.e. when I'm in bed) the screen flashes as I scroll, likely due to the response times going from black/grey to light colours not being great on OLED.
This is just my experience with my device. I'd ALWAYS used an Android over an iPhone because I felt it was more polished, but having used my iPhone for a year, I personally feel that the XS is a smoother, more consistent device which offers a superior, polished experience for my needs.
I agree the iPhone is probably the most polished device/os overall. I personally couldn't get on with the more closed OS and prefer the tinkering abilities of Android.
Tbh it was more the way I read your comment. It just read like you were stating these issues were inherent in OnePlus devices. It's a pity you've had those issues. Did you consider replacing your 7T?

Soldato
I've noticed the screen flashing white when unlocking from time to time bit odd not sure what the cause is thinking about it but it's not all the time. Aside from that my Bluetooth has been great and maps have been fine apart from when using Waze I also had the same issue on my pixel since android 10 not sure if there is a fix.

Soldato
Did you consider replacing your 7T?

I have done, but honestly, it isn’t worth it, for me. I don’t have the time of going through the hassle of OnePlus asking me to reset this, reset that, do this do that etc; my iPhone works flawlessly, other than the battery and a very, very, very poor keyboard. Thought about having the battery replaced but it’s £79 from memory! I’m on 89% on just over a year :(

Soldato
I have done, but honestly, it isn’t worth it, for me. I don’t have the time of going through the hassle of OnePlus asking me to reset this, reset that, do this do that etc; my iPhone works flawlessly, other than the battery and a very, very, very poor keyboard. Thought about having the battery replaced but it’s £79 from memory! I’m on 89% on just over a year :(
You're not wrong there. I feel like I've been through the ringer with OnePlus with the flashing bars issue, there's fewer hoops in a circus! As I said it was eventually fortunately fixed with the last update. It will certainly make me think twice about ordering direct from OnePlus again that's for sure.

Soldato
You're not wrong there. I feel like I've been through the ringer with OnePlus with the flashing bars issue, there's fewer hoops in a circus! As I said it was eventually fortunately fixed with the last update. It will certainly make me think twice about ordering direct from OnePlus again that's for sure.

Only reason I did is because I got the OP7T, Karbon bumper case and the Bullets Wireless for £550 - I bought a OnePlus 5 back in the day, but returned it because of the jelly display. I actually found their return okay, surprisingly.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Had my 6T for 14 months now and so far it has been faultless, beast of a phone. Could use it for another x years easy but getting itchy fingers for an upgrade :p wish OP would release info about the 8!

Soldato
I managed to smash my S10+ screen...first time I ever smashed a phone, so I recently got an OP7 Pro as a stop gap before the S20 comes out.

I was a bit worried at first after reading all the reviews about the:
- Curved screen, not a fan of curved screens but seems to be a good implementation and not suffered any palm rejection like I did with the Samsung S6/8
- Heaviness of the device, yes its noticeable but doesn't bother me. Would like it to be lighter to be sure but I can live with it.

Instead the ambient display and lockscreen is the main issue for me. The ambient display is useless, notifications flash up and then disappears, so there is no indication you have any notifications. Plus the design and layout is so ugly, I've disabled as much as I can, would switch it off if I could. Then the lockscreen which feels incomplete, if you disable quickactions (which you should for security, as people who steal you phone will switch off data so the phone can't be tracked) on lockscreen it also disables the ability to interact with any notifications that come in without unlocking the phone. Then last but not least, when playing media in the background it takes over the entire lockscreen wallapaper.

Another thing I noticed is all 3rd party launchers are broken. Not sure if this an Android 10 issue but only the OP launcher has working animation and PIP. Wouldn't be so bad but the OP launcher is extremely basic.

Last edited:
Soldato
@smokedog

There's this app to make the ambient display pop up every now and then to remind you there's a notification: https://github.com/XJIOP/Oxygen-AOD-Mod

There's not much you can do with the Ambient Display layout. There is an option to turn it off by going into Settings -> Display -> Ambient display then disable all the options there. There are 3rd party apps such as this which you can try which should make it more similar to what you're used to with Samsung.

Lock screen is basically Pixel style including the music cover art background. Some music apps will have the option to prevent this but there's no global setting due to Google's decision. A lot of OP users prefers the stock Android look so I doubt OP will bother to stray far from this.

3rd party launchers is an Android 10 thing, it's not just limited to OP, both issues you've stated also affects Pixel phones too with A10. Unless Google somehow fixes this, the S20 may also possibly be affected by the same bugs too.

Last edited:
Soldato
@smokedog

There's this app to make the ambient display pop up every now and then to remind you there's a notification: https://github.com/XJIOP/Oxygen-AOD-Mod

There's not much you can do with the Ambient Display layout. There is an option to turn it off by going into Settings -> Display -> Ambient display then disable all the options there. There are 3rd party apps such as this which you can try which should make it more similar to what you're used to with Samsung.

I use this app for notifications. It's really very good.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been using NotifyBuddy but this has high battery drain and a little buggy (A text message alert that always appears even when I've cleared it).

3rd party launchers is an Android 10 thing, it's not just limited to OP, both issues you've stated also affects Pixel phones too with A10. Unless Google somehow fixes this, the S20 may also possibly be affected by the same bugs too.

I don't have this problem with my S10 and that is on Android 10, maybe because it uses One UI animation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom