• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are NVidia clearing the decks for a new high end card?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think it comes down to time for reward. The extra time needed to do these things will not generate enough extra sales to make it worth it is what it sadly comes down to imo.

Soldato
Lazy ass devs also dont want to contemplate the off chance there are users that may want to use multi-gpu.
Well, if you paid £100+ for a game I'm sure they would spend more resources to squeezing all possible graphics candy out of hardware.
But because huge majority of player base won't be paying as much from game any more than Nvidias pumped up high end prices, developers won't do that.

Associate
The three big warning signs for me this time around are:

1. Nvidia selling ray tracing performance improvements over general rendering/rasterisation
2. Price movement on the tiers relative to tangible performance gains
3. Delaying a Ti high end part unnecessarily

Soldato
to be honest i think the console ports are a joke they make them worse looking than consoles which the pc could do a hell of a lot better they should be ashamed of themselves. and the prices of the games themselves are a joke ...

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Well, if you paid £100+ for a game I'm sure they would spend more resources to squeezing all possible graphics candy out of hardware.
But because huge majority of player base won't be paying as much from game any more than Nvidias pumped up high end prices, developers won't do that.

Its not necessarily about cost though. If you build a game that taps into whatever resources are available - think ashes of singularity, or a tool like Blender. As the GPU makers have shifted the responsibility to the game makers to utilise, the reason we are not seeing good scaling and monster performance improvements you could argue is narrow thinking and industry mindset of churn out as fast as possible to move onto another project.

Just like you see with multi-core CPUs finally catching on (unfortunately adoption does take time) the GPU scene is going to revisit this at some point. To me though the whole point of having it was not just for the big spenders that got SLI titans because they could, it was about plopping in another GPU of the same a year or two down the line when they were much cheaper but could potentially double your candy.

bru

bru

Soldato
Just like you see with multi-core CPUs finally catching on (unfortunately adoption does take time) the GPU scene is going to revisit this at some point.

Rumour has it that NVidia's Hopper architecture which is suppose to come after Ampere will be a MCM (multi chip module) architecture. If this is the case I think it will be completely different to the way that currant SLI works, even though I'm not sure how, but NVidia have plenty of very clever people who are probably working on it already, so I'm sure they will sort it out.:)

Associate
The pricing will all be dependent on competition. Even then I can see top tier pushing £1K. Given my personal circumstances £500 is probably my limit. Might be a while before a £500 card runs 4K easily but until then my 5700XT seems pretty decent.

Same, i have a £500 limit, i may go over slightly but it will have to be something special. im hoping the 5800 will be around the £500 mark with a decent increase over a 2070s

Soldato
Lazy ass devs also dont want to contemplate the off chance there are users that may want to use multi-gpu.

Exactly, devs are lazy. I think stagnation in the GPU market is a good for the gaming industry. It means developers have to spend more time optimising for the GPUs available. Instead of thinking "so our code requires x GPU. So be it, whatever", they'll now have to spend months and months getting it looking just as amazing on the mainstream GPUs available.

Soldato
Same, i have a £500 limit, i may go over slightly but it will have to be something special. im hoping the 5800 will be around the £500 mark with a decent increase over a 2070s

Hopefully, although realistically my 5700XT is very good at 1440p and I can't see me going to 4K anytime soon. I may hold out for the 6000 series, 7nm euv?

Associate
Hopefully, although realistically my 5700XT is very good at 1440p and I can't see me going to 4K anytime soon. I may hold out for the 6000 series, 7nm euv?

im on a vega 56 which doesnt quite have the legs for for a solid 1440p experience, i was tempted by the 5700xt but im not sure it offers enough of a jump to justify the cost.

Soldato
The three big warning signs for me this time around are:

1. Nvidia selling ray tracing performance improvements over general rendering/rasterisation
2. Price movement on the tiers relative to tangible performance gains
3. Delaying a Ti high end part unnecessarily

I agree. especially number 3. I think that Nvidia will likely just release the Ti alongside all the other cards now though as the likelihood of a 3080 blowing the 2080 and 2080ti out of the water is quite low as long as AMD don’t bring anything to the table.

Their pricing strategy was spot on last gen (sadly for us) and maximised probably the amount of 2080ti owners to the extent its now pretty much normal to have a 2080ti on enthusiast forums whilst before it was still a BIT of a rarity.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Rumour has it that NVidia's Hopper architecture which is suppose to come after Ampere will be a MCM (multi chip module) architecture. If this is the case I think it will be completely different to the way that currant SLI works, even though I'm not sure how, but NVidia have plenty of very clever people who are probably working on it already, so I'm sure they will sort it out.:)

Yeah it sounds likely, its a shame we have had regression over the past couple of years due to nobody wanting the hot potatoe to do the donkey work for it to be working as it should be.

Soldato
Considering they're using TU104 chips for even the 2060 now (same chip as 2080 but obv. with stuff disabled), I'd say the answer to the title question is a definite yes.

Back
Top Bottom