The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
Love this game, I played the main campaign on my gf's Alienware 17R2 980m, and now will play the expansions on my new beastly pc.

Managed to get one vega 56 to run around 50ish 4k all maxed out apart from aliasing and hairworks. I can do everything maxed around 35ish or 70ish with a second vega 56 but i have some weird transition in the frames that annoyes me so I will probably sell the second vega at this point..

I also played this with an xbox360 controller, tried it with K&M and just instantly back to the controller.

Should i bother with any mods or just vanilla experience on the expansions? Do the visuals look better and or does it help with performance?

apg

apg

Associate
Love this game, I played the main campaign on my gf's Alienware 17R2 980m, and now will play the expansions on my new beastly pc.

Managed to get one vega 56 to run around 50ish 4k all maxed out apart from aliasing and hairworks. I can do everything maxed around 35ish or 70ish with a second vega 56 but i have some weird transition in the frames that annoyes me so I will probably sell the second vega at this point..

I also played this with an xbox360 controller, tried it with K&M and just instantly back to the controller.

Should i bother with any mods or just vanilla experience on the expansions? Do the visuals look better and or does it help with performance?

I would definitely go for the HD texture mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021

Makes things look crisp.

Soldato
Am loving this game and can’t believe it’s sat on my hdd for 3 years unplayed. I couldn’t get into it before but after watching the excellent Netflix series I am really enjoying the game!

Soldato
I am neither a fan of the vanilla oil system nor auto oils. Vanilla is a bit jarring, opening up a menu mid combat and clicking on inventory items whereas auto oil made things a bit too easy and equally jarring for your sword to be magically coated in oil when you slash an enemy.

Soldato
Am loving this game and can’t believe it’s sat on my hdd for 3 years unplayed. I couldn’t get into it before but after watching the excellent Netflix series I am really enjoying the game!

I had an identical experience. When it was released I played a couple of hours but couldn’t get on with it, I just played bits and bobs and ultimately forgot about it. At the time it was a real tough game to run and that’s possibly why I gave up on it.

Recently I just decided I’m going to play it and 80hrs later and I’m in love with it. Still haven’t completed it yet however and the vast majority of that has just been exploring and doing the side quests and locations and such. I think I’m about 3/4 through so far.

You can tell it’s getting on a bit and it is a bit buggy in areas but still looks and plays beautifully at 4k. Some of the sound tracks are amazing as well. The one from Skellige is incredible.

Soldato
I had an identical experience. When it was released I played a couple of hours but couldn’t get on with it, I just played bits and bobs and ultimately forgot about it. At the time it was a real tough game to run and that’s possibly why I gave up on it.

Recently I just decided I’m going to play it and 80hrs later and I’m in love with it. Still haven’t completed it yet however and the vast majority of that has just been exploring and doing the side quests and locations and such. I think I’m about 3/4 through so far.

You can tell it’s getting on a bit and it is a bit buggy in areas but still looks and plays beautifully at 4k. Some of the sound tracks are amazing as well. The one from Skellige is incredible.

Yes my 2080 can easily maintain 4K/60 on this game and it can look good but it can look bad too! I’m hoping I get enough hours out of it so when I return to RDR2 the 3080 is out which can max the game!!!!

Soldato
Yes my 2080 can easily maintain 4K/60 on this game and it can look good but it can look bad too! I’m hoping I get enough hours out of it so when I return to RDR2 the 3080 is out which can max the game!!!!

That's always the advantage of getting round to playing something years after it's been released. My PC can now play it maxed out with ease! :D

Soldato

RDR2 played well on my Ti with the settings from hardware unboxed it didnt drop below 4k/60 and still looked fantastic. Even compared to ultra details there wasnt much in it. Amazing game too.

Associate
I started again playing this, now on HOS just finished it and used 2 mods so far.

The ps4 controller mod, because my xbox 360 controller is occupied by my gf, and i prefer the ps4 controller anyway. Was a bit tricky to setup with ds4windows but once done the controller inputs are the ps4 ones and i am on bluetooth!

Also the over 9000 weight limit. Godsent, I played the whole vanilla and most of HOS back in 2016 without it, and now I cannot think how I managed without this mod.

Need to try the HD pack, does it cause lower frame rates?

Soldato
I started again playing this, now on HOS just finished it and used 2 mods so far.

The ps4 controller mod, because my xbox 360 controller is occupied by my gf, and i prefer the ps4 controller anyway. Was a bit tricky to setup with ds4windows but once done the controller inputs are the ps4 ones and i am on bluetooth!

Also the over 9000 weight limit. Godsent, I played the whole vanilla and most of HOS back in 2016 without it, and now I cannot think how I managed without this mod.

If it does, I've not noticed it.

Associate

Quoting from near the top of the description page of the mod on Nexus Mods under the heading "Does it affect performance....."

It mainly depends on your video card, but generally modification doesn't hit performance too much. Modification requires minimum a 3GB VRAM for smooth gameplay. For best results 4GB is recommended. Possible decrease in fps are 0-5 which depend on pc spec, game settings and ingame location. On GTX 970/AMD R9 290X and higher there should be no fps drop. Also in some cases, modification can give smoother gameplay.

Associate
Quoting from near the top of the description page of the mod on Nexus Mods under the heading "Does it affect performance....."

It mainly depends on your video card, but generally modification doesn't hit performance too much. Modification requires minimum a 3GB VRAM for smooth gameplay. For best results 4GB is recommended. Possible decrease in fps are 0-5 which depend on pc spec, game settings and ingame location. On GTX 970/AMD R9 290X and higher there should be no fps drop. Also in some cases, modification can give smoother gameplay.
Cool I think it must be vram related then, the vega56 has plenty. Anyway if i don't like it i can always revert.

Soldato

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32724801

I keep it vanilla-like but simply higher quality & w/ a few QoL adjustments. Very little performance hit as well (only beautiful grass has a perf. impact). I also run a V64 @ 4K.

47720599012_be5ffce6b8_o.png

Back
Top Bottom