Use rechargable NiMH AA 1.2v instead of lithium AA 1.5v?

Soldato
Looking for some input from the electrical/battery afis out there.

I have a security camera that was provided with two 1.5v lithium AA, which are non-rechargable.

Can I use my usual rechargable 1.2v NiMH AA Panasonic eneloop BK-3MCCE/8BE batteries instead in this?

I can't find much about whether 1.5v lithium actually remains at 1.5v under draw rather like how alkaline batteries behave with their output voltage being lower than advertised, and thus in-line with the 1.2v NiMH?

Any input would be great.

Hugh

Soldato
OP
In theory yes, most devices that require 1.5v will work fine on 1.2v batteries as well

Just try it, it will either work or not
I'll crack on and report back!

I suspect it may be due to the power draw - it needsb comparatively minimal power when it's only the motion sensor that is active, but once it senses movement it records and uploads the recording as well as permitting live view and two way sound, so I imagine it could be under those circumstances that the non lithium AAs could go awry.

I guess I'll find out!

Soldato
Blink camera?

It’s worth noting that the capacity of those lithium AAs will be way higher than a NiMH cell. Get a few sets, you’ll need to recharge fairly often.

Soldato
That's true but the 'mah' rating isn't the whole story, the lower nominal voltage makes a huge difference.

2500mah @ 1.2V = 3 Watt hours
2900mah @ 1.5V = 4.35 Watt hours (Energiser Lithium)

So the lithium cell has 45% more capacity.

Soldato
I have a security camera that was provided with two 1.5v lithium AA, which are non-rechargable.
is the camera used outside ? if so the lithium maybe there for the better lower temp performance ... which is why I carry them in my rucsac for headtorches.

depending on the camera it may not be able to use the extra energy/capacity available from the higher voltage the lithium could supply too, so that may not be a benefit over eneloop anyway. eg. https://lygte-info.dk/info/ComparisonOfAABatteryChemistry UK.html

Soldato
OP
Thank you all for your input on this. Much appreciated!

That's true but the 'mah' rating isn't the whole story, the lower nominal voltage makes a huge difference.

2500mah @ 1.2V = 3 Watt hours
2900mah @ 1.5V = 4.35 Watt hours (Energiser Lithium)

So the lithium cell has 45% more capacity.
Correct, Blink. It's being used in an indoor unheated area and the temp of the camera doesn't seem to drop below 14°c, but it's definitely a consideration.

The battery capacity I had not considered. My rechargeables are the standard Eneloops rather than the higher capacity and high draw Pros.

Given the advertised battery life of the word lithiums, and the application the camera is being used for, it may be wisest to stick with the recommended batteries. Definitely don't want this conking out when it's needed most!

is the camera used outside ? if so the lithium maybe there for the better lower temp performance ... which is why I carry them in my rucsac for headtorches.

depending on the camera it may not be able to use the extra energy/capacity available from the higher voltage the lithium could supply too, so that may not be a benefit over eneloop anyway. eg. https://lygte-info.dk/info/ComparisonOfAABatteryChemistry UK.html

Associate
Never even noticed the difference in voltage until this thread. Replaced ALL of my AA batteries a few years now and never noticed any issues

Associate
What type of AAs did you replace and with what type?

All of them. Have a camera, all my remotes, wireless mouse, clocks, etc.

Got the eneloops from amazon. 1900mah 1.2v according to the label. Have a few spares in the drawer, and once something goes (which takes a long time) I change them out and charge the empties.

Soldato
OP
All of them. Have a camera, all my remotes, wireless mouse, clocks, etc.

Got the eneloops from amazon. 1900mah 1.2v according to the label. Have a few spares in the drawer, and once something goes (which takes a long time) I change them out and charge the empties.
Those are likely all alkalines that you replaced with NiMH, and that's reliably ok. This is replacing lithium with NiMH which is rather different.

Soldato
OP
remembered this recent thread
just found the, reserve, braun shave'n'go I have, doesn't work with my 1.2v nimh AA's .... only, one shot, 1.5v alkaline,
alibaba & amazon suggest you can get 1.5V AA Lithiums that charge via u usb cable - interesting option ?

https://www.amazon.com/ZNTER-Batteries-1250mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium/dp/B07SPR4BRR
Definitely an interesting option. It's the sort of thing I'd like to see tested by those in the know to see if it's genuinely outputting and storing what it claims.

Back
Top Bottom