BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
@theone8181
g80m3frontgrille2.png

Anyone seen the leaked new M3 front end? Quite the ugly duckling from the looks of it although you can't really see the whole shebang just yet... Originally from bimmerpost

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Think im going to be using Redish Motorsport in Bristol for the Rod Bearing change on my E92 M3. Anyone used them on here?

They did my bearings on the E46 and they are brilliant. One of the few out there who fully document their works and will keep you updated with videos/photos etc where applicable.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
That's just someone's guess and clickbait.
Yeah that's correct, however the article states the 4 will be the first bmw with vertical grills since the E9... so more likely it will be the grill from the M3 quoted a few posts back
g80m3frontgrille2.png

Anyone seen the leaked new M3 front end? Quite the ugly duckling from the looks of it although you can't really see the whole shebang just yet... Originally from bimmerpost

Soldato
Yeah that's correct, however the article states the 4 will be the first bmw with vertical grills since the E9... so more likely it will be the grill from the M3 quoted a few posts back

So why not post that then some random CGI mockup.

It's just clickbait from AutoExpress.

Soldato
A factory photo doesn’t mean that’s the final, signed off production design. It could be a sample/proto. I work in manufacturing engineering and designs/processes can change a lot!

Associate
My mate is moving back to the UK from Russia in a fortnights time and he's interested in picking up an e92 M3. His budget will be up to £14k but obviously would like to spend a little less if possible.

What are the main things to look out for/know about on these? Any must have options to go for? How is the DCT box in this budget? A good option or is the manual better, or is it just down to driver preference?

Soldato
I'm surprised it wouldn't just look like the normal 3 series with a biscuit in if you get my drift. I did wonder/hope the grill was that size to experiment with airflow I.e. blank it off if needed to see how big it can be.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You know what I will miss if I ever move on from the E46? Manual throttle blips. They sound so so good with the Eventuri and the bit of extra meat from the thinner CSL manifold. Even driving around town is fun and that's without driving like a plank. Enable sport mode for faster throttle response then from 4th to 3rd blip just before gear 3 engages, then down to 2nd the same way and repeat for 1st before coming to a stop at lights etc. The induction noise is just unique and different each time depending on how much travel and how quick I am on the the throttle. It's something I can never ever tire of and will dearly miss in the distant future because as the saying goes, all good things always come to an end :(

Absolutely love the engine response through the entire rev range. Keeping it as refined and quiet as the rest of traffic or let it sing on tap without having to switch between 13 different modes or exhaust valves etc. And with the roof down it's just amplified even more.

The car has cost me loads in running, and maintenance, but I feel it has been absolutely worth it for the continued driving experience it gives to all the senses for everyone in the cabin and the ears of those outside :D

The fact that after over 5 years of ownership I have not felt I need anything more from a car speaks volumes as I tend to get bored and try something else with most things I buy once the fun factor has gone. Not so here.

I would never buy another one though because getting it back and keeping it to a certain standard is just too much faff.

Unless a CSL finds its way into my hands one day...

Soldato
A factory photo doesn’t mean that’s the final, signed off production design. It could be a sample/proto. I work in manufacturing engineering and designs/processes can change a lot!

It's none of those.

AutoExpress have paid

https://www.avarvarii.com/about

to come up with a guess, probably with some editorial guidance.

edit:

I see you probably meant the secret shot within the factory.

Either way I want to counter any notion that those renders came from BMW in any way whatsoever.

Soldato
So running a 66 plate f10 with nbt Pro Nav.

What happens when 3g gets turned off in a few years. Perhaps 2022.

Planning of keeping this car for a while. Might be a shame to loose rtti. Would rtti still run over 2g? I presume it's pretty small data so should do.

I guess all the online stuff is pretty cack, so it's of no real value.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
So running a 66 plate f10 with nbt Pro Nav.

What happens when 3g gets turned off in a few years. Perhaps 2022.

Planning of keeping this car for a while. Might be a shame to loose rtti. Would rtti still run over 2g? I presume it's pretty small data so should do.

I guess all the online stuff is pretty cack, so it's of no real value.

People in the states are going a bit crazy over this as both 3G and 2g are being switched off there, rendering online services in the f10/11/01 (etc) platform cars redundant. Here in the UK there are no plans to switch off GPRS as it is used by so many legacy services, RTTI works over GPRS as well as 3G so I guess it’ll be fine?

Soldato
Bit different to everyone else’s BMW in here but thought I’d post an in progress shot of my track car.

4971-C2-E7-DDB3-409-E-B82-C-D85498-CA79-C0.jpg

Aiming for below 1200kg which is over 300kg lighter than when it came out of the factory.

Been a work in progress since March last year but on to the final stages now with a full respray on the interior and exterior over the next couple of weeks.

Soldato
People in the states are going a bit crazy over this as both 3G and 2g are being switched off there, rendering online services in the f10/11/01 (etc) platform cars redundant. Here in the UK there are no plans to switch off GPRS as it is used by so many legacy services, RTTI works over GPRS as well as 3G so I guess it’ll be fine?
I'd seen the stuff in the states. Then I saw an article about Vodafone switching 3g off.

I think bmw use Vodafone.

The online stuff is utter nonsense, but if key addon services like rtti and sos start failing that would be disappointing. And actually may effect the resale value of the car. Or at least reduce the audience of interested buyers.

I guess a replacement droid headunit would be an option, or bmw do a nice thing and swop out the telematic box. It should be plug and play!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
As I say I don’t think that there are plans to switch GPRS off here for many years, so very basic functionality such as assist and rtti should continue to function?
3G has been announced as going so it’ll make anything requiring any bandwidth redundant for sure.

Back
Top Bottom