BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Bit different to everyone else’s BMW in here but thought I’d post an in progress shot of my track car.

Aiming for below 1200kg which is over 300kg lighter than when it came out of the factory.

Been a work in progress since March last year but on to the final stages now with a full respray on the interior and exterior over the next couple of weeks.

Nice, whats the specs of it?

Soldato
Nice, whats the specs of it?
  • Engine refresh
    • Vanos rebuild
    • Head gasket
    • Bottom end bolts and bearings
    • Water pump
    • Oil pump
    • Custom radiator and oil cooler to allow for GTR style airbox.
  • GTR style airbox
  • AP Pro 5000 R brakes running BTCC discs and pads
  • Intrax 1k2 suspension
  • Twin exit lightweight exhaust
  • Fully polybushed
  • Custom Cage's 8 point weld-in cage
  • 5 speed gearbox
  • ClutchMasters FX400 6 puck ceramic clutch
  • Fibreglass panels; front bumper, bonnet, wings, doors, rear bumper and bootlid
  • Carbon panels; roof, splitter, canards, rear wing
  • Flocked dashboard
  • Plastics4Performance perspex windows
  • Heated front screen
  • Wheels & tyres
    • Michelin slicks
      • NTM Pista III 18x10 ET25
    • Dunlop Direzza DZ036G semi-slicks
      • Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 ET35
    • Michelin P2G wets
      • Team Dynamics 1.2 18x9 ET35
  • Various
    • Samsonas shifter
    • Cartek isolator
    • 1200g lithium battery
    • Carbontec carbon footrests and roof vent
    • Vbox HD2 & OLED display
Panels have gone off for prep respray. It'll then need to go back for the aero to be fitted, wiring tidy up, geo and mapping.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If anyone is bored, fancy finding the best petrol e70 Lci x5 they can, lowest mileage, lowest owners, highest spec. See if you can find something I'm missing. Appreciated :)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Ain't for me, we re-jigging the car situation - wifes 3 series is too cramped for us and the kids and pram etc. Gonna get her an X5 but don't want to spend more than 20k so going to have to be e70 range.

If it was up to me I'd get her an L200, but seems I've turned her into a snob now and she doesn't want anything that isn't a bmw... I've created a monster!

Wait till you see what I'm gonna "downgrade" to though :D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I’ve looked at these a lot (x5s) and even seen quite a few of them sell, £20k easily gets an F15 and is waaaay too much to even consider an E series bmw for. The e70 is properly old and I’d argue into near bargain run it into the ground only territory now :confused:

Associate
Hi Guys a few months ago I've got myself e82 n55 135i, and I am thinking about remapping. Where is the best place to get it done in the West Midlands area?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I’ve looked at these a lot (x5s) and even seen quite a few of them sell, £20k easily gets an F15 and is waaaay too much to even consider an E series bmw for. The e70 is properly old and I’d argue into near bargain run it into the ground only territory now :confused:
20k won't get you a low mileage petrol F15 - would be extremely happy if you can prove me wrong.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
20k won't get you a low mileage petrol F15 - would be extremely happy if you can prove me wrong.
Why so obsessed with mileage that it means you end up in an ancient car fit for running into the ground for £20k :confused: your budget gets a nice car, not an e-series bmw!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Because it's the wifes car, she won't have a high mileage and to be fair I can't be bothered with a shed load of problems to fix anymore. Just a nice, low mileage, one owner petrol that I can forget about.

I've seen some decent cars for that bracket, even dropping size to the xc60 and Q5 - but she wants a bimma and I ain't too fussed, I just want one that ain't going to be hassle.

A well specd E70 isn't exactly "not a nice car" - be similar tech as I had in my M5 which is way more than the wifey has ever had in her peugeot 207 haha

Newer one has better cameras and better screen/idrive. Soft close doors, panoramic roof, comfort access, sound system etc will all be extremely similar between the e70 and f15.

I'm not one of these who chase newer cars, especially an SUV which has no real benefit other than space.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Your choice mate, I don’t chase new cars either but for £20k you can do much better than an e70. I looked at them a bit (I love x5s generally, including the e70 in context) and wrote them off even for about £8-10k as looking too long in the tooth, I wouldn’t pay anything much for one these days. They are really quite old cars, e60 based. No thanks for non throwaway money personally. Even the f15 (which is from another era to an e70) isn’t a new looking car any more, the new model is much better again.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
20k is the max cash I'm gonna spend, which makes the petrol f15 out of budget, so only option is the e70 - doesnt mean that's the price I'd pay, but it'll only be about 5/6k off I reckon.

It's either that or get an even more dated Q7 (which she likes) or more of a money pit Cayenne...

I've given up trying to get her into a volvo, so just want to make sure we get a decent specd, petrol bmw which won't cause much drama if that's what she's after.

Man of Honour
won't cause much drama

And you think an 8-10 year old X5 is the answer to that?

They probably sold about 3 of them anyway in petrol form. The 3 litre is slow and thirsty and the V8 is complex and thirsty. There is a reason they are all diesel.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
A low mileage one, yeh I don't see why not? I ain't going near another diesel. It's for the wife so performance isn't anything to be overly concerned with.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Haha

The way i see it; E70 is a run into the ground car now, as much as i like them, @ 8-10k i suppose they make a nice car, but my understanding is that the petrols from this era are easily as problematic as the diesels. Things like seals causing oil burn, this was a big E60 era issue and i believe plagues the E70 as it is the same platform. For my wife at ~£10k i bought an F25 X3 M-Sport 3.0 diesel instead which i thought was a much nicer more modern car. At twice the budget they are completely out of the question imo.

Q7 agreed, way too dated, similar story to the E70.

By far the best cars for this budget are an F15 X30/40d M-Sport, or a Cayenne 92A 3.0, or actually you might even find a 4.8 petrol. These are really nice cars, probably nicer IMO than the F15, certainly better built and feel more premium than a BMW. Smaller though than the F15.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Trouble with diesel is her mileage. She's done about 5k total in the last 2.5 years, the average drive is a couple miles - a death sentence for diesels.

I would have thought a petrol Cayenne of that age would be a money pit, not the case?

Any other suggestions?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
What is really wrong with using a diesel like that? Its how my wifes one is used. The only issue really is the DPF taking a hammering, which will take quite a few years to eventually fail and then cost a few hundred to replace. Not the end of the world and you probably save the cost of the DPF in fuel anyway?

Cayennes i dont know much about mechanically, i personally have not looked at the petrol ones as i'd favour the diesel. I believe the diesel to be a very good reliable unit, there are plenty of them for sale with a lot of miles on them and owners seem generally happy with them online. There certainly dont seem to be any BMW 2.0d style clangers with them anyway :)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Isn't there an issue of sludgy oil etc. from not getting to temp? I thought it's generally accepted that petrol engines are better in this scenario?

Regarding the cayenne, it only has a 540l biot which is surprising. Might be a no go for that reason alone.

Looking elsewhere the lexis rx is 496l, seems the Q7, x5, range rover and xc90 are in leagues of their own.

I don't know what to do! Someone choose a car for me (well, for my wife)

Back
Top Bottom