A Bridge too far? Scotland - Ireland Bridge proposals

Man of Honour
Great idea. We need more projects like this that'll last for many generations after us. Provides jobs, future proofs the country. Sadly most projects in this country take forever and the costs spiral.

Commissario
Right over Beaufort's dyke, what could possibly go wrong with this?
That is the exact comment my father made, and one I agree with.

For some reason I'm not exactly enamoured of the idea of a bridge that has it's foundations in an area that has something like a million and a half tons of unexploded (so far) munitions that had to be dumped because many of them were too unstable to be disposed of otherwise.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Especially with the usual open-ended contract where the cost can increase daily ;)

Sure, especially in construction. Its normal for unknown and sometimes practically unknowable factors (eg. weather, materials cost increases) to cause cost variations.

At least when some of the input costs are (eg funding prices) relatively cheaper, the cost of any blowout is more manageable. We can agree on that.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
It is useful to ask the question slightly differently sometimes, at least as a prestep:

eg. If the cost was no obstacle, would you still build it?

I can see that's already being asked by others above.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Belfast/Larne to Cairnryan is used by less than two million people a year. Is there any reason to think that there is a lot of suppressed demand?

Back
Top Bottom