Considering this build for gaming PC any advice please

Associate
Hello all, I realise this must be asked soooo many times and I am (sort of) sorry for asking again but....

I have an old Lian-Li full tower case doing nothing in the loft at the moment and I was thinking of building a new gaming machine to use instead of my asus laptop. this is the build I was thinking of and I am looking for any comments regarding the components I have chosen, good or bad.

Many thanks
Bob

de
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,113.51 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Soldato
Hi and welcome. What monitor will you be using?

Motherboard is extreme overkill for gaming. So is CPU but hey, at least it offers something extra.

Spending £420 on just 2TB's worth of storage, and for gaming, is mad.

What's the thermal pad for?

There's plenty of budget for a better CPU cooler than the stock one.

Soldato
Motherboard price could be literally halved.
There's nothing which gives more performance/usage life in those super expensive boards.
They're sold with marketing image.
Something like Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite would give also decent feature set besides pretty much overkill VRM for gaming use.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html

And 750W PSU would be more than enough for single graphics cards PC.
Actually 650W would do that.
Very few gaming PCs reach 400W power draw and 350W would need pretty darn high end parts.

No sense to have multiple smaller drives just to fill limited M.2 slots.
There isn't even much of Windows and game loading time differences between NVMe and SATA SSDs.
Besides Samsung charges heavy brand extra and you can get 2TB NVMe drive for good amount less.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...80-pcie-2tb-ssd-vpn100-2tbm28h-hd-015-pa.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-state-drive-cssd-f1920gbmp510-hd-066-cs.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...olid-state-drive-zp2000gm30021-hd-3bc-se.html

For case fans Arctic P12s are ones to go for £6 per piece.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-pwm-pst-black-fan-120mm-fg-04h-ar.html
And good fans run smoothly without vibrating like some vibrating roller.

What's the specific case model?
It likely has sticker in rear with model designation on it.

Associate
OP
Gentlemen, thank you very much for taking the time to respond and answer my request for advice. There are some very good suggestions there, all of which I will consider and investigate further.

CASE:
With regard to the Lian-Li model I have no idea, all I can tell you at this time is that it is an all Black, full tower case with 5 or more access slots down the front (behind a door) for DVD writers etc. I put it up in the loft about 3 or 4yrs ago so it is quite old. I will have to go into the loft to see if I can find the model number.
If, on the other hand, I were to go with a new midi-tower case, what would you guys suggest with regard to housing the above equipment and allowing superb air flow?

MONITOR:
I'm using a Samsung 50" 4K TV - I realise it's not the best for gaming, but it is used for TV as well.

THERMAL PAD:
I thought that would be better than the messy paste stuff for putting between the CPU and cooler if required.

Soldato
Gentlemen, thank you very much for taking the time to respond and answer my request for advice. There are some very good suggestions there, all of which I will consider and investigate further.

CASE:
With regard to the Lian-Li model I have no idea, all I can tell you at this time is that it is an all Black, full tower case with 5 or more access slots down the front (behind a door) for DVD writers etc. I put it up in the loft about 3 or 4yrs ago so it is quite old. I will have to go into the loft to see if I can find the model number.
If, on the other hand, I were to go with a new midi-tower case, what would you guys suggest with regard to housing the above equipment and allowing superb air flow?

MONITOR:
I'm using a Samsung 50" 4K TV - I realise it's not the best for gaming, but it is used for TV as well.

THERMAL PAD:
I thought that would be better than the messy paste stuff for putting between the CPU and cooler if required.

post above with 2080ti and Gaming X mobo. 4k you'll need 2080ti for constant 60 fps

want to save a bit of cash then 2080 Super

Total: £708.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

but would personally stick with 2080ti List above as it matches the budget of your list with a LOT more performance at 4k

if you like the Gigabyte/aorus Brand for excellent RMA and rep support on here then
Total: £1,059.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Indication of 2070 Super vs 2080ti at 1440p and 4k! Notice how 2080S isn't worth it at 4k but 1440p performance is great, but not what your after

runny enough if 80% of your games support SLi then dual 2070s for cheaper but hard to recommend if game doesn't support it or is DX12

Total: £910.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Last edited:
Soldato
That sort of thermal pad doesn't work well at all with desktop CPUs. In testing, no pad or paste at all performed better than with a silicone pad like that. You can get away with it on memory chips, mosfet, lower-heat laptop CPUs. If you really want to avoid paste you need a graphite (carbon-based) pad like:

Total: £13.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

Paste will still outperform it.

Will you need Wifi/Bluetooth?

Soldato
And now I have the answer as to what my full tower case is. It is a Lian-Li PC-V2100 plus

Mine is Black but it is this one - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian...inium-full-tower-silver-no-psu-ca-032-ll.html
That would need some work to fit gaming PC.
Like adding two intake fans into 5.25" bays using six those of those bays.
It's very hard to find images from that old Lian Lis and at stock it likely has really lacking intake airflow...
Into wrong place for cooling PC, because of that dual chamber design.
When choosing my current case 12 years ago I was initially considering also PC-V2110, but discarded that fast, because of that dual chamber design.
Which made it have less actually available 5.25" bays than PC-A71.

Also inverted/upside down ATX layout means that non-reference cooler graphics cards will just keep bathing in their own heat, because of rear exhaust fan being at lower level.
That's why there should be good "positive pressure" with intake fans clearly pushing air into cause and forcing air to flow out from rear.
Also at least PC-V2110's door had very limited airflow gaps restricting intake airflow:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2546/2
(another thing lot better in PC-A71)

This kind things would fit 12cm fan per three 5.25" bays.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-ex-36b1-quad-3.5-dual-2.5-hdd-rack-black-ca-410-ll.html

There are also models for 3D printing fan holder:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2446552

Associate
OP
Hmm, I guess I'll be better to search for a decent case then and ditch the PC-V2100. Many thanks for the help.

OK, so the pad goes and Arctic Silver it is, I still have some from a few years back in a syringe container, hopefully it will still be up to scratch but if not, then a new one it is.

I would like a 2080Ti but phew.....what a price tag, that would take my build to well over £2000 which I was hoping to avoid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, I guess I'll be better to search for a decent case then and ditch the PC-V2100. Many thanks for the help.

OK, so the pad goes and Arctic Silver it is, I still have some from a few years back in a syringe container, hopefully it will still be up to scratch but if not, then a new one it is.

I would like a 2080Ti but phew.....what a price tag, that would take my build to well over £2000 which I was hoping to avoid.

I just matched you budget which you listed with more power ;)

If not 2080S is the middle ground .

Dropping down to 16GB will save cash as for gaming 32GB still overkill for most games !

And @EsaT is a beast with knowledge . If going TV.. thought about ITX set up/ console sizing ?

Total: £1,895.17 (includes shipping: £12.30)

@tamzzy runs this case along with my self

LyUFfkd.jpg

OCUK are pricier with their Aorus ITX then most , along with the windforce- possible £60 saving there and using Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme instead . Squeeze the ram and thats £70 . Get OCUK to price match the bundle £1800...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, yes, It's true that you did match my budget :)

Hmmmm, looking at the cases, doesn't anyone use CD/DVD writers any more? there seems to be a great number of cases without optical drive bays.

Last edited:
Soldato
No sense to buy very expensive graphics card now, unless you light up stove with £50 notes.
For the last few yars Nvidia has focused into pumping user's butts... err prices and above £500 performance per price goes fast bad and then to rape and robbery bad.
For its insane price 2080 Ti is only 30-40% faster than sub £400 Radeon RX 5700 XT.
Also there's absolutely zero future proofing.
What Nvidia's marketing "forgets" to tell is that using marketing feature of RTX cards (+next-gen consoles), raytracing, crashes down performance by 30-50%.

Wouldn't wonder if by fall we'll be talking about better raytracing cards for half the price.
For example AMD's next GPU architecture simply can't afford such miserable raytracing performance, or consoles wouldn't be running much anything at advertised resolutions.

Hmmmm, looking at the cases, doesn't anyone use CD/DVD writers any more? there seems to be a great number of cases without optical drive bays.
Without 5.25" bay or two case can't be updated with newer connectors etc.
Hence marketing has been hyping no 5.25" bays fad as second coming of Jesus to make cases disposable.

Soldato
@EsaT its business. Expect AMD to offer Big Navi same pricing. God knows the sidelined and screwed over AIB with such high pricing for RX 5500/5600. Initial reaction to pricing was priceless ...

@Bob Skidmore if you'vr got the space for a Monitor- you could easily do £1400 system with 1440p 1440hz screen for pure gaming. Big difference to playing on TV vs Monitor .

AND .. this is CRITICAL ... what Size is your 4K TV to the Distance you'll be sitting away from it ? More my case i'm looking at 55" 4K screen , If i sit more then 1.7m away from it... it would be hard to the difference to 1080p Image...

Highlights back to what Esat is saying, you'd be Double bent over paying more, then actually not getting 4k.... Then you have opposite effect at 1080p needing to sit further away or you nice pixel dots

chart_Rtings.com_.jpg

Ideal-Distances-Chart1.jpg

Associate
OP
Probably much against my opticians advice I sit about 3ft from my screen.
Currently I play Black Desert (MMO) call of duty and Elite Dangerous i would just like to get above 60fps as currently I get around 20-30fps in Black Desert with the settings on high (but not the highest).

Associate
OP
@EsaT the huge price and marketing is why I Initially decided to compromise and go 2070 rather than 2080 but if, as figures suggest, I might need to go 2080 to get high fps at 4K resolution so be it. I'm 62yrs old, so pretty much whatever I buy now will be future prrof as I doubt there will be Wi-Fi or Ethernet in my pine box :D

Soldato
Probably much against my opticians advice I sit about 3ft from my screen.
Currently I play Black Desert (MMO) call of duty and Elite Dangerous i would just like to get above 60fps as currently I get around 20-30fps in Black Desert with the settings on high (but not the highest).

guessing that means you've got 50" to 55" 4k tv then ? if so your into 4k confort zone and i think 40 degrees of Viewing .

worked out for myself at home as i'm 1.7m away would need 55" min and be just over 30 degrees FOV . Closer to 40 or just above the more akin it is to Cinema viewing

Black Desert 2080ti 4K

omg ultra is 30fps... lol , so yeah you'll hit 60fps

want ULTRA 4k your gonna need dual 2080ti lol

***not sure if they are using shadowplay to record which would tank Frames a bit

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Plec, well, yes....I'm not too sure why he didn't just use a series of bean cans glued together...or an orange box :D

Looking at the video, the one on the right looked far better quality but obviously lower fps.

Back
Top Bottom