• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti bored, sli for the fun

Associate
Bit bored of my 980ti seahawk as I upgraded to a 165hz 1440p monitor. Didn't really see an upgrade path worth the money at the moment so I'm adding a strix 980ti to mess with the dreaded sli world again. Will upgrade maybe next year and okay with this for now.

Associate
OP
Knew this would cause issues, ill not really loose anything doing it with the deal i got. The 3070 and 3080 will probably be moved to. But at this time I was only tempted by the 2070 super and 2080's. Pc's are for tinkering with, so it will fulfill one of the aims for a bit till i find out either it really is that bad or that time has passed enough to move to the new tier of cards. Will at least be interesting.

Associate
Nothing wrong with SLI. I've been running dual 1080s for the last 3-4 years, no problems at all. If you can add a second 970 cheaply to tide you over till Ampere hits, I'd say go for it.

Soldato
Bit bored of my 980ti seahawk as I upgraded to a 165hz 1440p monitor. Didn't really see an upgrade path worth the money at the moment so I'm adding a strix 980ti to mess with the dreaded sli world again. Will upgrade maybe next year and okay with this for now.
far better to sell the 980ti and buy something like a secondhand gtx 1080 for around £180 to £220 (think that roughly the going price )

Soldato
Nothing wrong with SLI. I've been running dual 1080s for the last 3-4 years, no problems at all. If you can add a second 970 cheaply to tide you over till Ampere hits, I'd say go for it.

I used to when it worked well before and around the 980/980Ti era.

Gave up shortly after when you was seeing good performance only on few select titles, and others requiring a lot of work to run well if at all.

Not nice when you have a new game come out and you have a card sat there doing nothing at all. Or giving you worse performance than a single card.

If the op got it extremely cheap then sure may as well for a mess around. Otherwise I’d have gone with a faster single card.

Associate
I used to when it worked well before and around the 980/980Ti era.

Gave up shortly after when you was seeing good performance only on few select titles, and others requiring a lot of work to run well if at all.

Not nice when you have a new game come out and you have a card sat there doing nothing at all. Or giving you worse performance than a single card.

If the op got it extremely cheap then sure may as well for a mess around. Otherwise I’d have gone with a faster single card.
Most of the big-budget titles support it. TBH, I never buy games on release - they're always half-baked, buggy, and at full retail price. By the time they go on sale everything is usually fixed and SLI support is working just fine. I'm usually running games at max settings on a 3440x1440 gsync panel at more than 80fps, and usually beyond the 100Hz refresh my monitor supports.

I should add that I had a single 2080Ti for a month - it performed slightly worse than my 1080 SLI setup.

Caporegime
I’m waiting for 1080ti used prices to become sane then I’m bagging another for sure, had GTX580 SLI and 1070 SLI (which bettered my current single 1080ti) the trick is ensuring the vast majority of your favourite titles support SLI which mine do, otherwise it’s a bit pointless.

Something cool about a multi GPU setup (albeit not in actual case temperature! :D)

As said, if you can bag a second card cheaply enough then why not.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of the big-budget titles support it. TBH, I never buy games on release - they're always half-baked, buggy, and at full retail price. By the time they go on sale everything is usually fixed and SLI support is working just fine. I'm usually running games at max settings on a 3440x1440 gsync panel at more than 80fps, and usually beyond the 100Hz refresh my monitor supports.

I should add that I had a single 2080Ti for a month - it performed slightly worse than my 1080 SLI setup.

You sure it was a 2080Ti? :p

I’ve had both 1080 and 1080Ti SLI and neither performed how I wanted even after hours of messing around, various HB bridges, inspector profiles. BF1 for example was running at 92%/92% on both cards but I was still seeing slightly worse performance than a single card.

Good for you if that’s the performance you are seeing but since going to a single powerful card I haven’t looked back.

I actually bought 1080SLI on release which performed worse than my old 980Ti SLI.

Associate

i did this end of last year and it was a nightmare im happy playing with settings and nvidia profiler etc but god some games worked ok like bfv but apex was a sod to get working then glitched like hell. i sold them both 2 months later and bought a 2070s and dont' regret it in the slighest.

Associate
OP
I'm only playing Battlefield v at the moment so the 2070 wasn't a big upgrade imo from My water cooled 980ti is still doing well but just thought I'd have a play for higher FPS. If it fails meh I'll never do it again. I ran a 295x2 when people said it was a bad idea and it was awesome. I really want to see for myself, play with fans and try and get it as cool as possible. All a bit of fun and when it's done I'll sell both GPUs add some money and buy whatever is an upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom