Apple refusing to repair IPad due to minor screen damage? Any experience/advice?

Soldato
Reading JL’s terms and conditions, 1 year warranty and then two years guarantee. States accidental damage invalidates the guarantee so short of making a complaint against consumer rights your kinda stuffed.
I’m shocked the JL employee didn’t push back in the first instance

Soldato
OP
I appreciate, however JL are the only possible avenue for success in this scenario, as it’s outside of the manufacturer warranty anyway
...and they said they will only base their decision on that of an accredited apple repairer. Hence me suggesting spending 2hrs going to an Apple store tomorrow.

If the Apple store for example would confirm the screen chip us unlikely to be causing the internal hardware failure (like the 3rd party company) then I'd have a point to raise with JL?

Soldato
OP
Reading JL’s terms and conditions, 1 year warranty and then two years guarantee. States accidental damage invalidates the guarantee so short of making a complaint against consumer rights your kinda stuffed.
I’m shocked the JL employee didn’t push back in the first instance
Understood, but where its pretty obvious it's not "damage" and only superficial? Ie: A small chip to the corner of some glass causing hardware failure a year later?

Soldato
...and they said they will only base their decision on that of an accredited apple repairer. Hence me suggesting spending 2hrs going to an Apple store tomorrow.

If the Apple store for example would confirm the screen chip us unlikely to be causing the internal hardware failure (like the 3rd party company) then I'd have a point to raise with JL?
Well it won’t hurt I guess, but as a technician myself I’m always very careful about wording such requests as, simply, while the damage isn’t the cause of the problem the act which caused the damage could be a contributing factor.

My advice is smile nicely, make it clear your not blaming Apple (or the technician) and your looking for a really quick report to get in and out ASAP and your more likely to get what your after

Soldato
OP
Well it won’t hurt I guess, but as a technician myself I’m always very careful about wording such requests as, simply, while the damage isn’t the cause of the problem the act which caused the damage could be a contributing factor.

My advice is smile nicely, make it clear your not blaming Apple (or the technician) and your looking for a really quick report to get in and out ASAP and your more likely to get what your after
That's my only hope I suspect...

And you believe that at this period of the warranty, 18months in, the cost of repair/replacement falls onto JL and not Apple? So JL would have to in effect pay Apple?

Soldato
Perhaps it’s in relation to refurbishing the product - the broken display is a cost they have to absorb, even thought it ha sheen broken.

Or, it’s just an easy way of companies to get out of warranty repairs :o

Any damage invalidates warranty on any product, it’s just the way things are. Companies aren’t getting out of warranty repairs ... companies do what they’re compelled to by law and nothing more.

As I said, I wish the OP all the success but truthfully whilst the broken glass hasn’t caused a failure itself, the act which caused the break is both a) possible to contribute to the issue and b) evidence of potential further accidental impacting.

Soldato
That's my only hope I suspect...

And you believe that at this period of the warranty, 18months in, the cost of repair/replacement falls onto JL and not Apple? So JL would have to in effect pay Apple?
You have no warranty with Apple. UK law claims contract (and thus liability) falls to place of purchase after the 12 months manufacturers are compelled to provide.
If JL choose to fix this issue for you then it will be under your consumer rights because, as we’ve already explored your guarantee is null.
JL can , if they chose to act, pro-Rata refund, repair with original parts, repair with “similar parts”, replace with a similar model of current value (ie: android tablet even) or send to Apple and pay for a manufacturer repair.

Soldato
Understood, but where its pretty obvious it's not "damage" and only superficial? Ie: A small chip to the corner of some glass causing hardware failure a year later?

No, it’s very obvious that the display sustained that chip from a drop or collision and is thus considered damage that has voided the warranty.

The impact from the drop that chipped the display has loosened the locking tab on one of the inter-module connectors and it’s finally popped out over the intervening year or the drop damaged a component that’s given up the ghost.

I expect that an actual Apple technician will tell you the same.

Soldato
OP
No, it’s very obvious that the display sustained that chip from a drop or collision and is thus considered damage that has voided the warranty.

The impact from the drop that chipped the display has loosened the locking tab on one of the inter-module connectors and it’s finally popped out over the intervening year or the drop damaged a component that’s given up the ghost.

I expect that an actual Apple technician will tell you the same.
...or the chip really is as superficial as it looks, and a year later a completely unrelated hardware problem has occurced.

While I'm in little doubt they will go down your route, I think we all know in reality the latter is almost certainly the case.

The question is, do I risk 2hrs seeing if Apple Reading will give me something I can go back to JL with to progress the matter with them. ie: Like my 3rd party company, the chip is superficial, and almost certainly not the cause of the current hardware fault. Or somehow offer a better swap price than £290!

Soldato
Last time I went in to get a phone battery replaced they gave the device a full physical inspection including the moisture sensors before they would even accept it for the service.

I doubt they will bother looking at it further without you first buying a replacement screen. On an iPad, that means replacement device at cost.

Any attempt to repair it in that state will just end up in further physical damage to the screen which the repairer will be liable for. They are will within their right to refuse it.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ipad/repair/screen-damage

Soldato
OP
Last time I went in to get a phone battery replaced they gave the device a full physical inspection including the moisture sensors before they would even accept it for the service.

I doubt they will bother looking at it further without you first buying a replacement screen. On an iPad, that means replacement device at cost.

Any attempt to repair it in that state will just end up in further physical damage to the screen which the repairer will be liable for. They are will within their right to refuse it.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ipad/repair/screen-damage
Understood, but the position seems to be Apple have nothing to lose.

Either I pay for a replacement iPad, or John Lewis do. Given the ding to corner of the glass (a year ago) in all fairness hasnt caused the hardware failure now, if they are willing to suggest that is likely the case, i can then use that for JL to then uphold their warranty cover.

Soldato
Your going around in circles.

Like I and others have said said, I doubt they will look at it further due to the physical damage.

As others have said, it’s already been to an authorised Apple repairer, they literally follow the same internal procedures as Apple because Apple wrote them for them.

They won’t be willing to ‘suggest’ anything, all the report is going to say is it has physical damage which will need to be repaired. They will not be able to say if the physical damage caused the fault or not and no one can repair it without fixing the physical damage first. We’re then back to refurb replacement.

Physical and then water damage are the first two things everyone checks before accepting a warranty claim. If either are positive they are will within their right to refuse.

Your only option is to make a claim under consumer law, you have to prove the fault existed at the time of purchase. The normal argument for this is that the device is in pristine condition and didn’t happen in your care. Therefore it must have been there at the time of purchase. Those arguments tend to fall down when the screen is smashed in the corner. You could rely on the report from the 3rd party repairer but it will depend on what they actually say. Again JL could easily argue that the physical damage could have caused it as others have pointed out.

Soldato
OP
Ok... Seems like I should admit defeat and for an easier life just pay up.

Obviously just frustrating a tiny chip to the screen done a year ago, which is nothing to do with the hardware problem now, allows JL/Apple to get another £290 out of me for their faulty hardware!

Soldato
Ok... Seems like I should admit defeat and for an easier life just pay up.

Obviously just frustrating a tiny chip to the screen done a year ago, which is nothing to do with the hardware problem now, allows JL/Apple to get another £290 out of me for their faulty hardware!

The thing is, drops (even in cases) which don’t cause any damage externally can cause internal damage. Can you 100% reliably state it’s only had this one impact even? Children’s device after all ...

Soldato
OP
...and the icing on the resultant £290 bill because that chip has voided the warranty? It wasn't my daughter that dropped it a year ago, but one of her school friends... Double grrr...

Back
Top Bottom