Apple refusing to repair IPad due to minor screen damage? Any experience/advice?

Permabanned
Dude, I’ve just got on the website right and it smacks me right in the face.

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE INSURANCE

did you or did you not take out at the time of purchase?

You purchased EXTENDED WARRANTY.

Big difference don’t you think? Pretty self explanatory! You won’t get that device replaced at Apple nor John Lewis. The device is DAMAGED by a SCREEN CRACK.

While I sympathise with you, you are either going to have to get a new one or pay for the repair. If you pay for the repair the device will be swapped out for a new one and you get warranty on that for any problems (except accidental damage)!

Soldato
OP
Dude, I’ve just got on the website right and it smacks me right in the face.

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE INSURANCE

did you or did you not take out at the time of purchase?

You purchased EXTENDED WARRANTY.

Big difference don’t you think? Pretty self explanatory!
Understood, but let's be realistic (again), the chip shown (which happened a year ago) almost certainly hasn't cause the hardware failure now. Infact, in the flesh it looks so minor I actually thought nothing of it, other than "that's a shame but it's obviously just cosmetic".

But anyhow, now seeing the way this all works, (expensive) lesson learned...

Permabanned
If I go to fix that iPad now and I removed the screen I couldn’t take that screen off without it shattering due to the problem in the corner.

This means I couldn’t stick the screen down again and a new ones required.

There then is the cost of a new battery or logic board depends on the issue here.

That alone could be like a £500 repair if it was the logic board.

You can clearly see in the photo there’s a screen crack that hasn’t developed itself and it doesn’t matter when it’s been done it’s there and causing a problem for repairs.

That’s a drop screencrack I’ve repaired so many in my time and all of this is exactly the same for phones and TVs etc with screens.

Go claim it on your house insurance... I bet you don’t have accidental on their either lol

Soldato
Chap, the impact force required to cause that damage (the display is partially protected by the rear body) could have caused damage to the internals.

I’ve dropped a bunch of iThings onto a range of surfaces from varying heights and you can never quite tell how the iThing will react. Devices that looked like a tank had run over them working fine for years and ones which didn’t have a mark on them flat out quit or acted possessed days later.

The best “can we have a replacement one, this one doesn’t power up anymore” claim I saw was for a iPhone 3G demo unit from the Orange shop in Guinea-Bissau that arrived back into our office with a bullet hole right through it. Despite their civil war having officially ended in 1999, the locals still enjoy shooting up the place every once in a while and the Orange shop (a shipping container painter bright orange) proved an irresistible target one day. No one was hurt, but the display took a few hits from an AK.

Soldato
OP
Chap, the impact force required to cause that damage (the display is partially protected by the rear body) could have caused damage to the internals.
Understood... But a year passed by, and it really does look very superficial in the flesh.

I understand Apple/JL will not view it this way... And that they could argue the drop happened a week abo and the device stopped working then.

I’ve dropped a bunch of iThings onto a range of surfaces from varying heights and you can never quite tell how the iThing will react. Devices that looked like a tank had run over them working fine for years and ones which didn’t have a mark on them flat out quit or acted possessed days later.

The best “can we have a replacement one, this one doesn’t power up anymore” claim I saw was for a iPhone 3G demo unit from the Orange shop in Guinea-Bissau that arrived back into our office with a bullet hole right through it. Despite their civil war having officially ended in 1999, the locals still enjoy shooting up the place every once in a while and the Orange shop (a shipping container painter bright orange) proved an irresistible target one day. No one was hurt, but the display took a few hits from an AK.
I work in the insurance industry, and some of the claims I've seen have been comedy gold :)

Soldato
OP
If I go to fix that iPad now and I removed the screen I couldn’t take that screen off without it shattering due to the problem in the corner.

There then is the cost of a new battery or logic board depends on the issue here.

You can clearly see in the photo there’s a screen crack that hasn’t developed itself and it doesn’t matter when it’s been done it’s there and causing a problem for repairs.

That’s a drop screencrack I’ve repaired so many in my time and all of this is exactly the same for phones and TVs etc with screens.

Go claim it on your house insurance... I bet you don’t have accidental on their either lol
The 3rd party I had look at the unit were confident after looking at the chip, they could take the scren off without an issue.

And after they ran diagnostics, they were getting error numbers which implied it could be a number of causes inside, including the main board, so said that we could then be chasing the issue, clearly making the repair complicated. Given a replacement can be had from Apple for £290, with my remaining 18month warranty on it, that clearly seems the "safer" route...

Our home policy doesn't cover phones/ipads. Our bank insurance only covers phones etc. I'll look into it now, and see if including them on home or just taking out 3rd party accidental cover makes sense etc.

Man of Honour
I'm with the op on this, bar water damage that imo should be warranty repair. I mean lets be honest how many people here havent cracked a screen on a phone or tablet? Ive cracked (glass only) pretty much every single one I have ever owned. My S8 cracked, s9 cracked, s10 I cracked a few weeks back and they all still work. I do have to buy a new one when I eventually crack them but the point is they all still work. Imo that should be warranty on such a small issue.

How many ipads or iphones have you repaired?

Soldato
OP
I'm with the op on this, bar water damage that imo should be warranty repair. ?
Ta. I think in an ideal world it should be a warranty repair to. But as pointed out Apple/JL will simply say how do know the drop didn't happen last week and that's when it stopped. Or the drop loosened something.

That's almost certainly not the case mind, hence the aggravation...

Man of Honour
Ta. I think in an ideal world it should be a warranty repair to. But as pointed out Apple/JL will simply say how do know the drop didn't happen last week and that's when it stopped. Or the drop loosened something.

That's almost certainly not the case mind, hence the aggravation...

If a small drop can loosen a component on the board or flex the board or frankly do any damage to the board in a physical way then the device isnt fit for purpose. Having repaired many iDevices I recon I could get that screen off without further damage as well.

Permabanned
How many ipads or iphones have you repaired?

I would say iphones + ipads + other gadgets around 600 all together all successful repairs for literally every component.

It's a crack in the glass, extended warranty doesn't cover that. Accidental damage does though. OP doesn't have accidental warranty cover.

Having repaired many iDevices I recon I could get that screen off without further damage as well.

Repair it for the op then? Do you recon you could save the cost as well?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would say iphones + ipads + other gadgets around 600 all together all successful repairs for literally every component.

It's a crack in the glass, extended warranty doesn't cover that. Accidental damage does though. OP doesn't have accidental warranty cover.

My point is that screen comes off without nuking the device or breaking into a million pieces. If you have sucessfully repaired 600 devices I dont need to tell you that.

Permabanned
My point is that screen comes off without nuking the device or breaking into a million pieces. If you have sucessfully repaired 600 devices I dont need to tell you that.

That screen won't go back on with a crack like that and as soon as you remove it it's going to need a new screen. That's not a hairline crack that's a corner crack.

If John Lewis or Apple replace this gadget they doing it out of good will and not what their policies say.

Apple = 1 year
JL = 3 year extended which doesn't cover accidental damage.

Man of Honour
That screen won't go back on with a crack like that and as soon as you remove it it's going to need a new screen. That's not a hairline crack that's a corner crack.

If John Lewis or Apple replace this gadget they doing it out of good will and not what their policies say.

Apple = 1 year
JL = 3 year extended which doesn't cover accidental damage.

Rubbish. You could remove that and put it back in. Repairing something doesnt mean brute forcing it apart causing more damage and then replacing a part.

Its because its a small corner crack and not anywhere else that i think you take it out without issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If a small drop can loosen a component on the board or flex the board or frankly do any damage to the board in a physical way then the device isnt fit for purpose. Having repaired many iDevices I recon I could get that screen off without further damage as well.
I absolutely agree... But how can I prove it was only a small drop... and that the pocy chip wasn't caused by an epic fall the unit handled well? As folks have pointed out the deck is stacked against a sensible/fair outcome for me :(

Soldato
My advice would be to buy new again tbh.
£290 vs £349 .. and the replacement only has a
3 Month warranty.
...and the icing on the resultant £290 bill because that chip has voided the warranty? It wasn't my daughter that dropped it a year ago, but one of her school friends... Double grrr...

Soldato
My advice would be to buy new again tbh.
£290 vs £349 .. and the replacement only has a
3 Month warranty.

+£69 for Apple Care inc. accidental damage cover.

If I was the OP I wouldn't be shelling out for a new tablet, I'd make my girls wait until Xmas minimum, no one needs a tablet.

And lesson learned for her, I bet she would keep the next one away from her mates.

Soldato
OP
If I was the OP I wouldn't be shelling out for a new tablet, I'd make my girls wait until Xmas minimum, no one needs a tablet.

And lesson learned for her, I bet she would keep the next one away from her mates.
Have you got a child at a grammar school? Tablets are basically mandatory I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom