• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Soldato
I went from 2600k to 9900k. I only game in 4k so I've noticed zero difference lol

I went from 3770k to a 3800X and noticed a massive difference in minimums and an overall feeling of smoothness in 4k woith a 1080ti. My GPU went from fluctuating from 85%-100% to 98%-100%.

Did you swap out your RAM or use the same RAM as you had in the original system, did you keep your original mobo - if so what chipset? What gfx card you have?

Last edited:
Caporegime
happens quite often sadly, I even came across someone who bought a 2080ti for 1080p 60fps gaming, I **** you not - his reason was "to future proof"

it might seem obscene to you or others but its not really to people who want that performance or need it. for eg if you record or stream. which many do now once you record that chops your fps right down some games even with a 2080ti and 1080 at certain settings will drop down. also remember we have lots of new big games coming soon. cyberpunk for eg might be a pc crusher. so its not as overkill as somethink.

many people will buy cards to last 3-5 years. so if it lasts them 5 years and plays all they want. its not that bad. look at 1080tis for eg. still going strong nearly 3 years old. same would have been said then.

Soldato
it might seem obscene to you or others but its not really to people who want that performance or need it. for eg if you record or stream. which many do now once you record that chops your fps right down some games even with a 2080ti and 1080 at certain settings will drop down. also remember we have lots of new big games coming soon. cyberpunk for eg might be a pc crusher. so its not as overkill as somethink.

many people will buy cards to last 3-5 years. so if it lasts them 5 years and plays all they want. its not that bad. look at 1080tis for eg. still going strong nearly 3 years old. same would have been said then.

This or 360hz monitors incoming - you can never run most games ultra at 240fps even on a 2080ti @ 1080p

Caporegime
This or 360hz monitors incoming - you can never run most games ultra at 240fps even on a 2080ti @ 1080p
Well a 360Hz monitor is some fairly obscene hardware that may (or may not) provide any benefit to the professional CS:GO players, and will almost certainly provide zero benefit to anyone else.

And yeah that refresh rate will destroy any GPU you throw at it. Which is precisely why nVidia is pushing/promoting it ;)

Soldato
I went from 3770k to a 3800X and noticed a massive difference in minimums and an overall feeling of smoothness in 4k woith a 1080ti. My GPU went from fluctuating from 85%-100% to 98%-100%.

Did you swap out your RAM or use the same RAM as you had in the original system, did you keep your original mobo - if so what chipset? What gfx card you have?
Come on now, you should know better than that. The 2600k was on a Z68 board and uses DDR3 RAM. The 9900k uses the z390 board with DDR4 so in answer to your question, yes i am using a different board and RAM. I also have a 1080ti.

I will say that my 2600k was heavily OCed to 4.6GHz but my 9900k runs great at 5GHz

Soldato
Most of those games are due to CPU bottlenecks rather than the GPU power
Well a 360Hz monitor is some fairly obscene hardware that may (or may not) provide any benefit to the professional CS:GO players, and will almost certainly provide zero benefit to anyone else.

And yeah that refresh rate will destroy any GPU you throw at it. Which is precisely why nVidia is pushing/promoting it ;)

I agree with you both HOWEVER there is demand and although fairly small, once RTX is thrown in to the mix, GPUS are still underpowered for truly High fps ULTRA AAA gaming @ >240hz

Soldato
Come on now, you should know better than that. The 2600k was on a Z68 board and uses DDR3 RAM. The 9900k uses the z390 board with DDR4 so in answer to your question, yes i am using a different board and RAM. I also have a 1080ti.

I will say that my 2600k was heavily OCed to 4.6GHz but my 9900k runs great at 5GHz

Ah yeah, didn't think too hard about it. My 3770k was OC'd to 4.6 and I could feel a difference in smoothness to gaming. Maybe you aren't sensitive to stutter and a bottlenecked GPU, or you game at 1080p?

Associate
im pondering it, but i dont know if to jump now, or wait for new gen zen and new boards? (dont know if there will be new boards)

motherboard 120
cpu block £50
ram £100 16gb 3600
cpu £168 r5 3600 (non x)
total £438

2070s graphics card (bought already)

not even using that pc atm so probably shouldnt :/

Back
Top Bottom