Not sure what to do or what's out there...

Associate
OP
You are not the only one and certainly won't be the last that feels this way. I too have been searching for a while for something new but not come to an agreement with myself yet in which direction to take.

I feel lost and out of control with work aspects not knowing which direction to take next or even where to look properly.

I have been observing these types of threads for a while and it appears to me that the jobs available are filling positions in companies where people have left due to dissatisfaction. I don't see many 'new' roles been created and not have done for at least a year or two now. Not roles worth filling within a company anyway.

I have been toying with the idea of joining the army myself as a "Cyber Engineer" but I don't have the balls just yet just to get up and go. This will be one of the hardest decisions I will make in the up and coming future.

While I think the IT side of it will be easy for me, I would be more focused on the discipline, courage, tactile and enhancement side of things and also to become part of the Royal Signals.

I feel like all I want someone to do is pull me by my hand, guide me to somewhere away from where I am now and make me do things and experience things I have never experienced before.

Probably very soon no doubt as my money is running out fast. I wish you luck in what you choose to do.

Thanks for such an honest input. I think it's definitely more widespread than people think.

Always wished I'd been one of those people with their heart set on what career they want from a youngish age. My sister is like that. She's in her dream job working barely three days a week on double my full time salary.

As much as it pains me to agree with you about a lot of job vacancies coming up because some poor sod reached breaking point and jacked it in, I have experienced that. Company had a massive turnover of staff. Hopefully it's not always the case though!

Thanks for the reply, and I wish you all the best finding something that clicks for you.

bol

bol

Associate
I am ex-reme reserve. Used to be attached to Royal engineers. My pay as a fully skilled VM lance corporal, was way above the B1 engineer sergeants! Was a good few years ago now. I recommend the reserves as there is no minimum service requirements and the tax free bounty was a bonus.Also managed to score a free HGV license too.

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about the age, in my phase 1 intake there were many who were in their mid 20's to early thirties. If anything it was seen as a positive.

Same with a few tradesmen i've spoken to who've looked at taking on apprentices.

At 17/18 they seem very disinterested, but at a later age they're training for an actual career as opposed to something to do so put more effort in.

The plumber we currently have doing some work said he started at 27.

Associate
OP
I am ex-reme reserve. Used to be attached to Royal engineers. My pay as a fully skilled VM lance corporal, was way above the B1 engineer sergeants! Was a good few years ago now. I recommend the reserves as there is no minimum service requirements and the tax free bounty was a bonus.Also managed to score a free HGV license too.

Thanks for giving your experience, it sounds pretty good!

Associate
OP
Same with a few tradesmen i've spoken to who've looked at taking on apprentices.

At 17/18 they seem very disinterested, but at a later age they're training for an actual career as opposed to something to do so put more effort in.

The plumber we currently have doing some work said he started at 27.

Thanks, this gives me some hope.

I'm going to an apprenticeship, employment and skills show next week so I'm planning to get there early to have a good chat with employers and hand over my CV to as many as possible. Hopefully I can expand my network and get some ideas!

Back
Top Bottom