I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Soldato
Practice practice practice, and then practice some more.
Start with some benchmark models from thingiverse until you understand the various settings.
Check m.all3dp.com they have a common failure list with solutions.
Andi.
Thanks mate.

Although, the printer died this morning. Turned it on, took SD out. Copied a file onto it.

Noticed the screen was off....

No power. The PSU has died I believe. :(

Soldato
Does it power up with the sd card back in?
Andi.
Nope, it's the auto shut off relay. It's stuck in shut off mode.
If I bypass it the printer functions, albeit with no safety cut off.
I've ordered some new relays off the interwebs. If those work then bargain. Otherwise the makers will need to send me the PCB to replace ir

Associate
So I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask the question but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a uk equivalent of shapeways? Artel W released some STL files for free of old oop models he use to sell and I'd like to get them printed, but a single piece is a ridiculous cost on shapeways

Soldato
So I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask the question but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a uk equivalent of shapeways? Artel W released some STL files for free of old oop models he use to sell and I'd like to get them printed, but a single piece is a ridiculous cost on shapeways
I'm guessing that is for miniatures? If it is really you want them printed on something like a resin printer so you get good detail.

Probably worth going on one of the resin printer forums and asking if someone can print then for you. Or you could buy yourself a resin printer for £200-300 like the elegoo mars and print them yourself.

There are other sites that provide printing services but I've mostly found they are not cheap.

Associate
I'm guessing that is for miniatures? If it is really you want them printed on something like a resin printer so you get good detail.

Probably worth going on one of the resin printer forums and asking if someone can print then for you. Or you could buy yourself a resin printer for £200-300 like the elegoo mars and print them yourself.

There are other sites that provide printing services but I've mostly found they are not cheap.

It is yeah, looking on shapeways / another site who's name I can't remember. I was getting a quote of about £300 to get a single miniature printed... I could just buy a printer for that price.

Associate
Unfortunately that's the state of print services at the moment, the cost of printers themselves are so low that it's not worth people offering the service. Of course the cost of a printer + consumables + failures + time will be more than the cost you've quoted but once you get past that it's a lot less for you.

Soldato
Hero Forge has customizable miniatures.
Made 1 for our game and still experimenting with a few prints and altering sizes etc but it looks quite good.
We have an Elegoo Mars.

They have their own print service (US based I think) but the miniature file is only $7.99 (£6).
I couldn't find anything on any model sites for what I wanted.

Associate
Yeah I'm going to look into getting a printer later in the year, I can only really print out in my shed and I imagine it's too cold right now to print.

Associate
I've printed a few hero forge miniatures for a friend at work on my Creality CR10S, a friend of his was quoted stupid money to print them. Took a while to get everything just right like the supports etc but once cracked all worked perfectly, had to slow right down to print it with sufficient detail though.

Matt

Man of Honour
Hi all,

I was gifted an Ender 3 Pro for Xmas. Still have it sitting in box as I havent got time to set it up but will do over the weekend.

What software is best to download? :)

You'll want Cura or Slic3r to get you started for slicing STL Models to print them, if you want to draw/model your own things for printing then Fusion360 is nice and intuitive

Back
Top Bottom