Job offer, take it or leave it.

Soldato
I also wouldn't base my working career on the possibility of a better pension at the end of it. So many things can happen in your life that would prevent you from even benefiting from that pension to start with - would I waste 30 years of my life doing a job I did really like just because of the great pension at the end, knowing the increasing risk that I may not even be around to draw on it.. nah. I also know at least two people that were on track for a final salary pension and then for whatever reason had been made redundant and thus not qualifying for it anymore.

Go for the job OP, knowledge and experience is king. It's much easier to go backwards than forwards in life.

No-one said starting 30 years from 0 - i said if you are close to your final pension, then you have to make an informed decision. But we are digressing away from the OP.

Associate
No-one said starting 30 years from 0 - i said if you are close to your final pension, then you have to make an informed decision. But we are digressing away from the OP.

Yeah fair enough. You're correct.

Still though - in that position it's more complicated than the OP. Like I said, someone in a similar position could well be made redundant at year 29, or they could also pass away before retirement age. It all depends on what the job offer is and at what point you considered close to that final salary milestone.

Back
Top Bottom