When was your last speeding ticket?

Soldato
Back in the day I got flashed a few times by the old style cameras but never got a fine. Only 3 points I got were from a cop with a speed gun.

Soldato
I've had one SP30 for 35 in a 30. I'd only bought the car 5 minutes before! It was in Bradford on a steep hill, I clearly didn't brake enough.

It was a forward facing camera and the picture of me and the missus looking very shocked was priceless.

I had a feeling this day would come. Looks like they're switching them back on again. Got two through for last week, 71 in a 50 and 68 in a 50... luck was going to run out sooner or later

I'm not sure I'd class that as luck if you knew the limit and intentionally went way over!

Associate
I had a feeling this day would come. Looks like they're switching them back on again. Got two through for last week, 71 in a 50 and 68 in a 50... luck was going to run out sooner or later
Where abouts was this? I always worry about the cameras on the motorway catching me out, i've been flashed a few times but no tickets ... yet

Associate
I had one 2 weeks after passing my test 35 years ago, none since. I didn't even know what was happening when I got waved down to join a queue of cars at the side of the road, they got just about everyone driving up that road. A carefully chosen spot in a 30mph section, wide straight road, uphill so you needed to be moving a bit fast to hold top gear.

Only other transgression was for turning left through traffic lights 0.1sec (yep, 100 milliseconds) after they turned red. I kid you not. I never even saw the letter which arrived (allegedly) weeks later so got done £60 for not telling them who the driver was.

Associate
I had one a short time after I passed in 2003, caught near an industrial estate in dear old Lowestoft doing 42 in a 30.
Took me to court and I got 4 points and a £180 fine in my absence, was a dicey time trying to be good for the 2 years until I got more than a 6 point allowance!

Soldato
Only ever had one ticket in over 25 years of driving and that was a couple of years back in the company van. It was a mobile camera van on a road im used to and i SAW the van and checked my speed... 30 limit road and i was doing 32 indicated so thought nothing of it. There were cars in front and behind me all moving along at the same speed.
Anyway couple weeks later i get called into managers office to be told ive got a NIC come through and head office want it paying. The NIC stated i was doing 36mph!!
Of course i looked at the time and date and it clicked that it was that van i saw..... now my van had a tracker and so on and we pulled the logs for the exact time and date.... guess what... 29-30 miles per hour for 10 seconds either side and even upto 30 seconds either side of the time on the NIC it was under 30.
I contacted and said i had my tracker logs to prove it but was told that no evidence was good enough and that its tuff! pay up or goto court and lose!... i was offered a speed course so did that ( 80quid cost ).... they were a joke and utter liars as i KNOW i was not doing 36mph as i had proof from the calibrated info from the tracker that uses ecu info not GPS.
And they say its not a money making racket !!

Soldato
I had one a short time after I passed in 2003, caught near an industrial estate in dear old Lowestoft doing 42 in a 30.
Took me to court and I got 4 points and a £180 fine in my absence, was a dicey time trying to be good for the 2 years until I got more than a 6 point allowance!
i think they only brought in the 6 point limit recently:D.

Soldato
A real ticket off a real life police man on the motorway (A1-M1 Link) near Leeds around 2001 i think. Did me for doing 89mph, he was being kind, cause i was doing much more than that.

Soldato
January 2020, first one since 2004
Mobile camera, in a section of road where the limit swaps from 40mph to 30mph & back again several times in the space of 3 miles.

Clocked me at 37mph. I took the points & £100 fine.
Had to inform the insurance company, premium up by £65. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I've not had one for 6 years and then got 2 in a week back in December :(

First was an average speed camera. 50 in a 40

Second was a gatso, saw the flash, was doing 36 in a 30.

Annoyingly it's also changed my insurance renewal from £450 to £600. I never expected 3 points to make such a difference (took the course for the first offence).

Man of Honour
I've not had one for 6 years and then got 2 in a week back in December :(

First was an average speed camera. 50 in a 40

Second was a gatso, saw the flash, was doing 36 in a 30.

Annoyingly it's also changed my insurance renewal from £450 to £600. I never expected 3 points to make such a difference (took the course for the first offence).
Ouch gaining 6 points has seen my bike renewal go down and my car stay about the same.

Soldato
Stats probably show people who just picked up some points drive safer.

After getting 3 points mine went down slightly at renewal too.

Soldato
Well, if 1995 is recent! New Drivers Act was brought in then which had the 6 point limit for first two years.
Source
Well, if 1995 is recent! New Drivers Act was brought in then which had the 6 point limit for first two years.
Source
I'm confused now, as I'm positive the 6 points thing only came out a couple of years ago as it was quite a big thing in the papers. Fwiw I never had to worry as I've been driving for 18 years without any points:D.

Back
Top Bottom