Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
This :)

TBh, would have happily paid a premium to see this at the cinema. Filling in my bucket list of movies to see at cinema where I was too young first time around. I was born same year as Alien and was 7 when this came out.

I remember me and my mate going to see it at the cinema first time around and being blown away by it.

Would love to see the directors cut again at the cinema. Is this the director's cut?

Man of Honour
Just over £130 on standby tickets to fly to New York for the weekend with the mrs. Flight loads are looking light so thought screw it. Leave for the aiport in a few hours.

niYNk2k.png

Man of Honour
What does that mean exactly? That the flight might go or it might not?

I guess the concern is that you might not be allowed back!
It's a standby ticket, which means I'll only get to board if there's a seat on the plane and I'll generally be given the highest class available. I think there's 15+ spare seats in upper at the moment so I'll end up there or in premium economy. The flight home is a bit busier, but still looking decent for having a good seat. It's a risk you take with staff travel I guess. Since my mrs is crew, the hotel is already paid for so all we need is spending money and we'll have all of tomorrow in Manhattan. Plus I don't need to use any holiday. :)

Soldato
Since my mrs is crew, the hotel is already paid for so all we need is spending money and we'll have all of tomorrow in Manhattan. Plus I don't need to use any holiday. :)
Nice idea, if you are young & healthy I dont see why not. Ironic thing in 6 months when people are more used to this whole deal, the plane will be more full and there is again a greater risk then now where it could be half empty. Buy some cheap USA tech while you are there, no idea what are the biggest price difference items tbh

Man of Honour
Nice idea, if you are young & healthy I dont see why not. Ironic thing in 6 months when people are more used to this whole deal, the plane will be more full and there is again a greater risk then now where it could be half empty. Buy some cheap USA tech while you are there, no idea what are the biggest price difference items tbh
My thinking is, if she gets the virus then so would I regardless if I go or not. We're both in our thirties and healthy so I'm not overly worried. It's not often she gets flights that I can tag along with without the need to use any holiday, we went to San Francisco a few weeks ago and I had to use 2 days from memory.

Regarding flights and crew, she's been mandated with either taking a months leave unpaid or go to a reduced roster for 2 or 3 months (with Virgin Atlantic). So the airlines are really suffering. We are going to Dubai next month for 4 nights on a proper holiday, I hope it's still going ahead! But I've paid extra for free cancellation for the room and if BA cancel the flights they'll refund me anyway, or Amex will.

Soldato
It's a standby ticket, which means I'll only get to board if there's a seat on the plane and I'll generally be given the highest class available. I think there's 15+ spare seats in upper at the moment so I'll end up there or in premium economy. The flight home is a bit busier, but still looking decent for having a good seat. It's a risk you take with staff travel I guess. Since my mrs is crew, the hotel is already paid for so all we need is spending money and we'll have all of tomorrow in Manhattan. Plus I don't need to use any holiday. :)
Oh interesting, thanks for explaining. I hadn't realised it was a perk of knowing a member of crew.

Fingers crossed for you!

Soldato
While it's definitely an awesome scene, it does lessen the perceived threat from the Aliens and understand why it was originally cut.

I dunno, it's a good explanation as to why the marines don't get instantly swamped and gives the story a chance to progress. The Marines use the autoturrets as a sunday punch (after having their asses kicked), and all it does is stall the aliens into a stalemate for a few hours. It ramps up the tension for the next attack, when the aliens will "just walk up to the door and knock".

In Aliens (as opposed to Alien), there are so many of the xenomorphs that the fear is in the fact that you can fight them and kill them, but there are always more swarming to come get you, and kill the squad one by one.

Caporegime
While it's definitely an awesome scene, it does lessen the perceived threat from the Aliens and understand why it was originally cut.

I don't. The original never quite made sense. Why did the Aliens just come through the ceiling vents? Why wasnt there hundreds of them? To me it filled a big hole in the original story.

Man of Honour
Surely it heightens the threat if anything, suggesting they have wave after wave of bodies to throw at them. Although given the implied death count there wouldn't be much station left after the blood melts it away :D

Maybe the main issue was it suggested such overwhelming odds it'd be that bit too far a stretch for them to make it out.

Soldato
I guess i'm in the minority then, I just felt like having guns mowing down tens/hundreds of Aliens was whittling down the numbers to something they had a chance, no matter how slight, of fighting back against.

I still like the scenes though :D

Soldato
I guess i'm in the minority then, I just felt like having guns mowing down tens/hundreds of Aliens was whittling down the numbers to something they had a chance, no matter how slight, of fighting back against.

I still like the scenes though :D

Exactly, but it's a false hope. The marines (and the audience) knows it, but it introduces a little bit of doubt. It's all part of ramping up the premise. In Alien, it's one xenomorph, playing cat and mouse against a small, ill-prepared crew, so it's sci-fi horror. In the beginning, the crew thinks they are hunting the alien, but as the film unrolls, it turns out the alien is hunting the crew.

In Aliens, Cameron was clever to turn it into a sci-fi action-horror film. The Marines are professional soldiers, trained and equipped to the gills, and instead of an easy "bug hunt", they get a swarm of monstrous, aggressive xenomorphs who don't just want to kill them, they want to imprison them, lay eggs inside them, and then kill them as the alien progeny hatches out of them. The crew from the Nostromo gets ramped up into a squad of Marines, so the aliens get ramped up into swarm of hungry monsters to keep the conflict level.

The last half hour is almost a separate add-on, where the Alien Queen is introduced, and Ripley goes one-on-one with her, (harking back to the first film), but again with the combatants raised to a higher level of baddassery in the form of Ripley in a loader exo-skeleton vs the huge Alien Queen.

It works so well because as a film because it's being more than just a copy of the first film, while managing to include and expand on the important elements from the first film.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom