Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
no promtions or relegations looks like the way its going, whover is top and in the european places now will be in next year.
if it goes that bad that is.

no way will they cancel the full campaign.

I can't see the teams agreeing to that. ManU for instance are on a great run of form and would argue they could finish 4th/5th. Other teams will argue they have easier matches to come and so could finish in those spots. If they can't finish the season then I don't see an alternative to null and void.

Soldato
Whatever way you look at it, if they can't get the games finished in the summer some teams are going to complain. Null and void would be tough on teams who are currently in CL places who didn't qualify last year (e.g. Leicester), while just calling the league based on its current positions would be tough on teams who have a good run of games to finish the season or who have games in hand (e.g. Sheffield United have a game in hand on Manchester United).

I think the sensible thing is to cancel the Euros, then if things drag on cancel the FA Cup as well, which would at least mean teams only have to play the rest of the Premier League games and the knockout rounds of the CL and EL.

Soldato
games still wont get finished do you REALLY believe between now and april 3rd ALL premierleague teams and staff are going to be able to avoid catching corona.....

once they catch it that's another suspension required whilst team quarantine

rinse and repeat

Soldato
games still wont get finished do you REALLY believe between now and april 3rd ALL premierleague teams and staff are going to be able to avoid catching corona.....

once they catch it that's another suspension required whilst team quarantine

rinse and repeat

Yep this is the way I see it going. Plus will teams continue to train when players in that squad test positive? I can't imagine players with grandparents or parents with risk factors are going to want to risk being exposed. We'll obviously know more in a couple of weeks but the way its exploding in Italy and now Spain, France and Germany makes me think this isn't getting better any time soon.

Permabanned
I can't see the teams agreeing to that. ManU for instance are on a great run of form and would argue they could finish 4th/5th. Other teams will argue they have easier matches to come and so could finish in those spots. If they can't finish the season then I don't see an alternative to null and void.

Everyones health is top priority.

But come on we've waited so long for the premier league.
You couldn't make this **** up lol.

Don
no matter how much we all know Liverpool have won the league whilst its still mathematically possible for man city to win it there is no way they can give the title to liverpool

same goes for European places!
The only precedent we have to go on, exactly that happened. In Chile they awarded the title and Copa America spots to those that held them and simply cancelled relegation and promotions. That's assuming the League isn't finished one way or another.

Soldato
Was just reading another forum and someone made a good point. If the season is extended into June and beyond some players have their contracts running out at the end of the season so May/June. Giroud, Pedro and Willian were the examples given but I'm sure there are other players in those situations. What happens there? I'm not sure an extension can be forced on any player or club. There will be players due to join clubs on or around those dates from other clubs in Europe. What happens there?

Don
The Independent reporting that we might not see any football again until September:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-champions-europa-cobra-meeting-a9401466.html

Some other key points covered in the article:
  • If the season is delayed this long it leaves 3 options, 1) just finish the season as and when you can, 2) season ends in May and current standings are used for promotion, relegation etc, 3) season declared null and void.
  • Option 3 from the above is seen as unlikely and that and option 2 both risk legal challenges.
  • Huge financial implications if the season is not finished, with lots of lower league sides facing bankruptcy
  • UEFA meeting on Tuesday might prove key to deciding what will happen.
Was just reading another forum and someone made a good point. If the season is extended into June and beyond some players have their contracts running out at the end of the season so May/June. Giroud, Pedro and Willian were the examples given but I'm sure there are other players in those situations. What happens there? I'm not sure an extension can be forced on any player or club. There will be players due to join clubs on or around those dates from other clubs in Europe. What happens there?
Contracts run until the end of June and one journo has already said that all PL contracts have a 28 day emergency clause in them that would allow them to be extended for the short-term.

edit: I wonder if the 2022 WC creates an opportunity for the calendar to be changed? The WC is due to be held from November to December. If the season could be finished by November, Euros then get played in November - December, we then have a close season and then next season begins in the new year taking us through to November. Rince and repeat the next season leading you straight into the WC.

The obvious issue to the above is how you then move back to an August - May calendar from there.

Back
Top Bottom