The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
red dead finished and moving onto witcher 3, so far I have downloaded the HD reworked project mod, any more must have mods I need before booting up the game for the very first time ?
How easy is it to install mods as I'm not that good in installing mods to specific folders ? do I need to load up the game first and quit out to make any folders ?

Soldato
red dead finished and moving onto witcher 3, so far I have downloaded the HD reworked project mod, any more must have mods I need before booting up the game for the very first time ?
How easy is it to install mods as I'm not that good in installing mods to specific folders ? do I need to load up the game first and quit out to make any folders ?

Check out my list: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt.18485613/page-440#post-32724801

Very easy to install, just drag and drop to mods folder. Alternatively just use NexusMods' VORTEX installer to do the work for you.

Soldato
2 Parts version as it takes the models/textures to 4K, normal version is for 1080p/lower quality users. For anyone who has or may have 1440p+ the larger pack is recommended I believe.
What I'm not sure of is what he means when he says make high priority, I need to look that up as planning to play soon :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ohhh re-subbed. Plan to get back into TW3. Was never able to get the mods ‘to take’ Either that or my eyes are shot as I couldn’t see any difference in vanilla and modded!
Might have to give it another go at modding the bugger before I get too many hrs into the actual game.

Soldato
so I've nearly downloaded most of the suggested mods but some need some additional files like this one:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/949?tab=files

what do I have to do as I'm using the easy way to add mods which is vortex and this mod is a manual download with suggested files I need to make the mod work.

I ran through this extensively and got the vanilla game looking amazing, then added texture mods in rather than mods to tweak the draw distance which is all done in the below guide.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/g...-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Soldato
so I've nearly downloaded most of the suggested mods but some need some additional files like this one:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/949?tab=files

what do I have to do as I'm using the easy way to add mods which is vortex and this mod is a manual download with suggested files I need to make the mod work.

This one is a bit tedious to install but you can skip it. If you don't want to do it manually.

Soldato
Replaying through this again now I have the steam version (had the GoG version which I completed main game and DLC's). Below is my mod folder and I'm yet again falling in love with this game.

5Mt2qSA.png

And here is my custom user.settings file (set to read only once you put the below in):

Code:
[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150
[Hidden]
HasSeenEP2WelcomeMessage=true
HasSeenDLCMessage=true
HasSetup=true
HasSeenEP1WelcomeMessage=true
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1
[Localization]
RequestedSpeechLanguage=
SpeechLanguage=EN
RequestedTextLanguage=
TextLanguage=EN
[Viewport]
VSync=false
Resolution="2560x1440"
FullScreenMode=2
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=0
[Hud]
HudSize=0
[Budget]
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5
[ContentManager/Mods]
MaxNameLength=64
Enabled=true
[Audio]
SoundVolume=85
MusicVolume=85
Subtitles=true
[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true
[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false
[Scripts]
DebugScriptsForceFlush=true
DebugScriptsLogDir=
[PostProcess]
AllowChromaticAberration=false
SharpenAmount=1
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
AllowVignette=false
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
SSAOSolution=2
[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=true
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=1
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=0.591837
InvertCameraY=false
RightStickAimSensitivity=0.591837
MouseSensitivity=0.25
SteamController=0
ForceDisablePad=false
[DLC]
DlcEnabled_dlc_010_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_015_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_005_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_007_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_013_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_004_001=0
DlcEnabled_dlc_006_001=0
DlcEnabled_dlc_001_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_008_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_011_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_002_001=1
DlcEnabled_ep1=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_014_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_009_001=1
DlcEnabled_bob_000_000=1
DlcEnabled_abob_001_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_012_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_003_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_016_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_011_002=0
[Gameplay]
MotionSicknessFocusMode=true
Difficulty=3
EnableUberMovement=1
[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=200
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=60
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=20
StripeHideDistance=60
[General]
ConfigVersion=2
[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false
[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1
[Visuals]
AllowClothSimulationOnGpu=false
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=30
GammaValue=0.78
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02
[Rendering]
GrassDensity=3600
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=48
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=3
MaxTextureAnizotropy=16
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=1
TextureMemoryBudget=1600
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.5
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=2
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq=100
MeshLODDistanceScale=10
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
TerrainReadAheadDistance=200
HairWorksLevel=2
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.6
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThresholdFar=3.5
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq=225
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureStreamingDistanceLimitSq=60000
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=1
TextureMipBias=-1
TextureInFlightBudget=128
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
PreserveSystemGamma=false
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=6
CascadeShadowmapSize=4096
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=4
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1
CascadeShadowQuality=4
HairWorksAALevel=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4
[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true
[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=true
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=0.25
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false
[Engine]
LimitFPS=0
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.075
GrassDistanceScale=3
FoliageDistanceScale=3
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=108
GrassRingSize=16777216
[Gameplay/BoatCamera]
BoatLocalSpaceCamera=false
[FOVSlider]
horseFOV=65
explorationFOV=65
[Save]
ShowCompatWarning=false
[Kinect]
Kinect=true
[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=24

With a i9-9900k @5ghz and a 2080 ti +150/+1000 I get around 100 fps at 1440p.

Soldato
I’m 75 hours in and very much enjoying the game but there are some real problems with the gameplay which does make me question all the ‘10’ reviews.

Firstly it’s easy, so very easy. I have levelled up and upgraded my armour but only within the constraints of my character level and yet every fight is just a cake walk. My character is so OP it’s no longer a challenge. Compare this to when I started the game and each fight needed careful planning and execution and felt satisfying to win.

The control scheme is awkward at times. Swimming underwater through caves can be frustrating as the character doesn’t respond well to button presses.

Combat is unexciting just button mashing. I simply have to use one button (X) and hold that down and shortly after I win.

I am playing on hard and without mods. If it’s broken it’s not up to me to fix it through mods so I have no intention of using any but the experience as intended by the devs is a 7/10 game with the story being 10/10.

Soldato
I’m 75 hours in and very much enjoying the game but there are some real problems with the gameplay which does make me question all the ‘10’ reviews.

Firstly it’s easy, so very easy. I have levelled up and upgraded my armour but only within the constraints of my character level and yet every fight is just a cake walk. My character is so OP it’s no longer a challenge. Compare this to when I started the game and each fight needed careful planning and execution and felt satisfying to win.

The control scheme is awkward at times. Swimming underwater through caves can be frustrating as the character doesn’t respond well to button presses.

Combat is unexciting just button mashing. I simply have to use one button (X) and hold that down and shortly after I win.

I am playing on hard and without mods. If it’s broken it’s not up to me to fix it through mods so I have no intention of using any but the experience as intended by the devs is a 7/10 game with the story being 10/10.

That are exactly my thoughts. The game itself storywise is excellent. But a lot of the game is "bugged" or "buggy" in a way. Some of the running aspects are annoying, you can run but cant turn at the same time indoors. Roach is almost impossible to ride without getting stuck or doing horse wheelies down rocks. you fall more than 2ft and then you die. I mostly just ran the entirety of the game as following the trails was hard work at full speed without constantly staring at the minimap.

Combat is good but it does lack variety. Literally 2 sword attacks with a few features depending on what you unlock. And it can be a rolling simulator at times.

I enjoyed the game, story and music immensely but a lot of the above did get frustrating at times. However it's a fairly old game at this point too.

Associate
Very tempted to pick this up on Steam. In terms of the combat - is it worth (as a first time playthrough) using a mod like W3EE? I like the sound of the changes to the combat but am I better experiencing 'vanilla' first?

Associate
Very tempted to pick this up on Steam. In terms of the combat - is it worth (as a first time playthrough) using a mod like W3EE? I like the sound of the changes to the combat but am I better experiencing 'vanilla' first?

I tried w3ee and it’s incredibly difficult to control, the combat is very very tough. I could not get out of white orchid and you learn skills like an elder scrolls game.

ghost mod is good though, makes combat tougher but not to extent of w3ee.

Soldato
That are exactly my thoughts. The game itself storywise is excellent. But a lot of the game is "bugged" or "buggy" in a way. Some of the running aspects are annoying, you can run but cant turn at the same time indoors. Roach is almost impossible to ride without getting stuck or doing horse wheelies down rocks. you fall more than 2ft and then you die. I mostly just ran the entirety of the game as following the trails was hard work at full speed without constantly staring at the minimap.

Combat is good but it does lack variety. Literally 2 sword attacks with a few features depending on what you unlock. And it can be a rolling simulator at times.

I enjoyed the game, story and music immensely but a lot of the above did get frustrating at times. However it's a fairly old game at this point too.
Yes Roach is awkward too. Tbh like you if it’s under 300 paces I just run as the character is far more agile when not on a horse!

Am going to buy blood and stone though once I’ve mopped up all the secondary quests and contracts.

Soldato
Am loving this game and can’t believe it’s sat on my hdd for 3 years unplayed. I couldn’t get into it before but after watching the excellent Netflix series I am really enjoying the game!
Exactly the same for me, sat on my hard drive for years and only played the first few minutes. Also watched the series so will probably start playing through it in the forced downtime we have now. I presume it supports UltraWide resolutions no problem?

Soldato
For those saying the difficulty isn't there, I agree, later levels you kind of cake walk everything. I'd strongly suggest playing on Death March mode. It makes it a lot more enjoyable and challenging. Not Dark Souls level, but enough to make sure you're a bit defensive rather than just walking over everything. There is also an option to scale enemies up to you.

Back
Top Bottom