Road Cycling

Soldato
Looks good.

A red/orange/yellow colour way could look good, or maybe a blue or green fade... hmmm

Why do Cannondale continue to use their own bespoke crankset and spider, it seems difficult (fine for you being a shop mechanic) and expensive.

Soldato
They do a colour called goldfinger which you see on epic cycles. Looks so sparkly in the sunshine.

Cannondale love the whole integration and proprietary parts market.

I'm not a fan of that style of business but it is the best chainset they do with the one piece spider and rings(literally two rings as one so expensive if you wear one out).

Asymmetric back end too on bikes with BB30A :rolleyes:

I'm leaving it as is since 52-36 is big enough and the 11-34 will do for now. Will be alien to me with 53-39 and 11-28.

Soldato
Gents, I've had my Pinnacle Arkose D2 for a few months - still loving it. However I'm considering putting some more road oriented tyres on it for the summer. Not interested in buying a new set of wheels, I'm happy to just swap over tyres as and when - I spend most of my time on the road when the weather is good.

I have the following rims: WTB ST i21 TCS 700c.

From what I can tell they have a width of 23mm, what width slick/road tyres could I realistically fit? I was thinking perhaps 32mm?

Any advice would be appreciated as well as tyre recommendations.

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
So what’s the general consensus on cycling ? People not bothering to take the risk and sticking to turbo ? Or just doing the usual routes? Last few weeks,I’ve carried on regardless but now I’m thinking crashing hospital doesn’t sound too appealing at the moment. Break down having to ask someone to pick you up doesn’t seem fair either. I’m confused :confused:

Soldato
I'm going out tomorrow, I'd say 2 hours or so for me is enough and I'm never too far away from home on back roads.

I wouldn't head to do a 6 hour run but that's just me justifying what I want to do....

Thinking of these cages for the bike but they are expensive

Soldato
As you'll have seen above, I'm still going out. For me, everything in life has an element of risk. I could get run over crossing the road. I could run someone else over when I'm driving. Do I still cross the road or drive anyway... yes, you just need to be sensible about it and mitigate the risks. After my puncture and issues on Wednesday, yesterday I took the hybrid out instead, with nice big tyres, so lessened the danger of puncture and all was fine. I was feeling really drained by the end of it though, so having today off. Exercise helps the immune system, but shorter, more intense exercise is apparently better. Not long, drawn out, draining exercise which can weaken your immune system, so it's possible I've done too much this week.

Soldato
I'm only going from what I heard, I think from two different sources recently. I did just google this, but I don't know how relevant it is to humans.

Or, there's this page that says intense is bad... for prolonged exercise anyway -

There is evidence that too much intense exercise can reduce immunity. Research is showing that more than 90 minutes of high-intensity endurance exercise can make athletes susceptible to illness for up to 72 hours after the exercise session. This is important information for those who compete in longer events such as marathons or triathlons.

According to professor David Nieman, DrPH, of Appalachian State University, when moderate exercise is repeated on a near-daily basis there is a cumulative effect that leads to long-term immune response. His research shows people who walk 40 minutes per day at 70-75 percent of their VO2 Max experience half as many sick days because of sore throats or colds as people who don't exercise.

Interesting. Maybe, in the current climate, I will try and limit things to under an hour?

Caporegime
So what’s the general consensus on cycling ? People not bothering to take the risk and sticking to turbo ? Or just doing the usual routes? Last few weeks,I’ve carried on regardless but now I’m thinking crashing hospital doesn’t sound too appealing at the moment. Break down having to ask someone to pick you up doesn’t seem fair either. I’m confused :confused:

I've aired my opinion above. All it takes is for your go pro to break a wheel, or a puncture you can't fix and boom you've passed it on.

IMO, stick to a route you can get home under your own steam or bang on the turbo trainer. I'm on the turbo trainer, as I don't want to risk causing a crash. I know risk exists, but currently I want to lower it. I couldn't handle knowing I've caused a death for my own gain.

So my opinion is its up to you, but be careful and acknowledge your taking risk and reduce it.

Soldato

My personal opinion is do your normal routine, but reduce risks.

For example...
Don't go mad in residential areas
Don't "kamikaze" down hills or around fast sweeping bends
Take extra care in crosswinds (very applicable around near today, while I'm thinking about heading out)
Take at least a mini pump and puncture repair kit, if not a spare tube also, if heading more than ~3 miles from home
Don't think about doing a 100+ mile "adventure" (I'd love to head to Milland Hill for the first time or visit South Harting for the first time in over a year, but I'm not sure even heading to Stroud to climb the cat3 hill to Hawkley is sensible from SO18)
Some sort of location tracking for friends/family (my Lezyne Super GPS runs "Live Tracking" when linked to my mobile)
Take plenty of water and some easily digestible food like jelly babies if out for ~90mins+, especially if you plan on doing some sustained z4+ intervals
etc.

The furthest from home I've been this week is ~12 miles, to get a single cat4 climb in on Beacon Hill near Warnford, on a ~28 mile loop. If I had had more time before it going dark, I'd happily do another 2-4 cat4 climbs that are clustered around there before heading home.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure how this means someone is infected as it effected absolutely no-one else... sounds more like trolling now, so will set you to ignore for the moment, simply for everyone else's sanity of us arguing :)

The concern is we push the boat out on a ride and we need 999 emergency services to rescue us and then take us to hospital, removing staff from helping those critically sick with COVID-19.

Soldato
Thanks for the opinions guys, my mind changes daily on this. Been going for some brisk 30-35 milers, mainly flat. Was going to go out to do some hills around the 50 miles mark but doubt settled in so went for a 2 hour walk instead. :rolleyes:

Seems like there isn’t a correct answer, I’ll just keep deciding on the days seems the most sensible for me.

Thanks again for the advice in these strange times :)

Soldato
The concern is we push the boat out on a ride and we need 999 emergency services to rescue us and then take us to hospital, removing staff from helping those critically sick with COVID-19.

Yeah, for sure. But he was clearly talking specifically about my post where my Osmo Action (I don't have a GoPro) broke spokes on my wheel. No-one else was involved in any way. I rode home.

Back
Top Bottom