Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
They can list that on the sign. It's a simple solution, at the moment (as far as I'm aware) there's nothing at all to warn people that though at sea level the weather might be relatively pleasant, another 4000 feet up it's a different story.

Apparently the guys rescued spoke very little English though so not sure how much the extra information would have helped.

Soldato
2 weeks until I start trekking up Kilimanjaro - who knows if I'm well enough prepared!

Summited at 5:50 on Thursday 20th February! Got to Stella Point for 5:05 then did the 1.5hr round trip to Uhuru Peak.

Bit of an error, in my opinion, for our tour guide to start our summit night hike at 23:00 as it meant arriving before sunrise so our summit photos aren't the best! Would much rather have reached Stella Point for 6:00, witnessed sunrise from there, then started the Uhuru loop at around 6:15. Don't get me wrong, witnessing the sunrise at Stella Point on the way back was breathtaking, greatest views I've ever seen, but arriving in the dark at both Stella and Uhuru was a little disappointing.

Soldato
If any one is stuck for something to do there are some navigation puzzles here to keep your nav sharp while stuck indoors.

This was my rock n roll Saturday night in with beer and maps! :D

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Can anyone recommend a nice daysack that I could use both skiing and hill walking, I've got my eyes on the 3 at the moment on the Osprey website (40% discount code takes the sting away a bit)

Kamber 22 which is a snowsports bag
Syncro 20 which is a multisports bag
Manta 24 which is Hill walking bag

Anybody use any of them and can offer feedback?

Capodecina
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a nice daysack that I could use both skiing and hill walking, I've got my eyes on the 3 at the moment on the Osprey website (40% discount code takes the sting away a bit)

Kamber 22 which is a snowsports bag
Syncro 20 which is a multisports bag
Manta 24 which is Hill walking bag

Anybody use any of them and can offer feedback?
What 40% discount code :confused:

And in answer to your question, the Manta 24 is best for hill walking, it includes a raincover and a hydration bladder and has a sensible walking pole attachment system. The waist straps are a wee bit thin and it would be nice if it had external straps to hold a fleece - when going uphill ;)

Man of Honour
A reminder that Osprey often have repaired bags for sale at significant discounts on their own site (register, login and look for "second life"). Also quite a few outdoor shops have good discounts on Osprey bags a couple of times a year.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
What 40% discount code :confused:

And in answer to your question, the Manta 24 is best for hill walking, it includes a raincover and a hydration bladder and has a sensible walking pole attachment system. The waist straps are a wee bit thin and it would be nice if it had external straps to hold a fleece - when going uphill ;)

Bluelightcard if you're eligible ;)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
A reminder that Osprey often have repaired bags for sale at significant discounts on their own site (register, login and look for "second life"). Also quite a few outdoor shops have good discounts on Osprey bags a couple of times a year.

I'll take a look to see thanks only been browsing the site so not logged in.

Man of Honour
I'll take a look to see thanks only been browsing the site so not logged in.
Nothing on there at the moment. They had a few dozen packs until recently. I suggest just keep looking at the site every few days. They seem to add them in batches.

Soldato
So with lockdown restrictions relaxed and technically being allowed to travel if there's no overnight stay involved, anyone planning any UK trips in the near future?

Most of the Lake District is 2 to 3 hours away from me was hoping to start having some day trips next month, plenty of hills left to walk for me and with packed lunches should be pretty easy to social distance from others.

Associate
So with lockdown restrictions relaxed and technically being allowed to travel if there's no overnight stay involved, anyone planning any UK trips in the near future?

Most of the Lake District is 2 to 3 hours away from me was hoping to start having some day trips next month, plenty of hills left to walk for me and with packed lunches should be pretty easy to social distance from others.

Waiting forSscotland to open up. Hoping to get to Torridon this year to do the Liathach Ridge and maybe Beinn Eighe
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicklandells/32115790491

Wouldn't mind making a week of it and doing the CMD arete and curved ridge also.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Nothing on there at the moment. They had a few dozen packs until recently. I suggest just keep looking at the site every few days. They seem to add them in batches.

Few packs on there at the moment but nothing that takes my fancy, still got the Manta 24 and syncro 20 sat in my basket hoping to get hands on them before purchasing.

Soldato
Good day in Lake District today and doing Scafell Pike next week as been a few years since I've been there.

I do think I'll need a new pair of boots soon and Salomons seem to be quite highly rated.

Is there much functional difference between Quest GTX and Quest 4D 3 GTX apart from £30ish?

Associate
Good day in Lake District today and doing Scafell Pike next week as been a few years since I've been there.

I do think I'll need a new pair of boots soon and Salomons seem to be quite highly rated.

Is there much functional difference between Quest GTX and Quest 4D 3 GTX apart from £30ish?

Always buy boots based on having them fit right
I hate the term 4D in anything it's stupid marketing but for salomon it seems to mean a sturdy but flexible construction

JRJ

JRJ

Associate

I find the Salomon's narrow and have to go up half a size, I also find a difference between my 4D GTX and non GTX boots, find somewhere to try them on or even use Amazon's free returns/Amazon wardrobe which is really handy for ordering multiple sizes.

Soldato
I find the Salomon's narrow and have to go up half a size, I also find a difference between my 4D GTX and non GTX boots, find somewhere to try them on or even use Amazon's free returns/Amazon wardrobe which is really handy for ordering multiple sizes.

That is my thinking, very easy to return with them, however I can only get Prime GTX (not the 4D) in my size but guess they should fit pretty much the same.

Back
Top Bottom