Motorbike on trickle charger - flat

Soldato
Hi, wonder if someone can answer the folllowing.

I have a Motorbike which I have not used since my daughter was born some 3+ years ago.

Been kept in the garage under cover for the duration. On a trickle charger.

Moved it the other day when tidying the garage. Tried to start it and battery went flat after a few goes.

Even though, it has always been on trickle charge.

Does this happen? I thought it would keep the battery topped up and in perfect condition?

Thought about jumping it from the car with jump leads. But did not know if that could damage it?

I can buy a new battery when all this lockdown is over.

Thank you

Soldato
Depends on the age and health of the battery the begin with as well as the capabilities of the trickle charger.

I'd just go and order up a new Motobatt if I were you.

Soldato
depends what type of charger, if its just a normal trickle charger they are not really designed to be left on forever as they will constantly be topping up the battery which can dry electrolyte/wear the battery out over long term. batteries have a lifespan anyway so it may just be tired and need replacing.

Soldato
OP
No worries. When this is all over I’ll get a new battery. I guess 3.5 years on trickle charge is pointless. May as well disconnect the battery if I get a new one anyhow.

charger is a Oxford 360T

thanks for your replies.
Stay safe.

Soldato
Don't run the old fuel at all if you can.

Drain what you can out, fill it with new, ideally premium unleaded and wang in some redex and keep your fingers crossed.

You shouldn't leave a bike that long really without running it.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.

obviously cannot get a replacement battery for the time being.

But I can get fuel in a Jerry can.

could I jump the bike from a car battery to get it started at least ?

Soldato
Yes of course, if the battery is proper dead though it might have issues, assuming your bike is 12v, some older bikes (my first bike for example) was 5.5v or something like that.

If your jump starting a bike from a car, dont bother turning the car on you won't need to.

Edit: I would give it a minute or two after connecting both to let the voltage even out a bit.

Soldato
Edit 2: any reason you can't get a battery? Plenty on eBay etc you can order online, or go to a bike website wemoto etc I'm sure will still be delivering, probably better from a bike website more likely to get a genuine battery. Bosch or Yuasa both good, others also.

Soldato
OP
Good point. Yes. Will look on line. Don’t want to spend a fortune as it will just be to start it. Then I will leave it disconnected? As what’s the point in it being connected when I’m not riding it.

this redex? Just put some in the tank and run it through? Is there just one type of redex for petrol that I need ?

Soldato
Yea redex, mix it with the petrol, other fuel additives are available redex is the most common I guess.

I reckon a dose of that mixed in with some good quality premium unleaded will help particularly when keeping your bike stored.

Also start it up and run it up to temp at least, every month or so.

It's what I do all be it just for the winter months and my bike is 17 years old and looking and running really well for the age. I did about 40 miles on it today.

I'd probably change the oil if I were you also, even if your not using it, after 4+ years I wouldn't want oil that old sitting in there.

Soldato
OP
Good point about the oil. Will give me something to do whilst on lockdown.

I can easily start it monthly. That’s no problem.

Thanks for the advice. Only reason I don’t or haven’t rode for last 3.5 years is I had a daughter and it doesn’t matter how good I am. It’s the others that don’t see you.

it’s a Yamaha FZR600 2003

Soldato
No worries.

If and when you do come to ride it, give it a very good check over, it'll almost certainly want new tyres as motorcycle tyres harden/perish so even if they are not worn you'll want to change them, give your chain a good check, brakes, brake fluid might need changing.

Soldato
OP
Just has a look on wimoto website. Battery and an oil filter £49 delivered.

Then just redex and some fuel. Which I probably can get redex at most petrol stations anyhow?

oil. Again. From petrol stations etc.
Unless you guys know any particular websites. That will furnish me with everything I need apart from fuel.

thanks

Soldato
Have a check on https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/ for you bike, usually very good with delivery times and pricing, customer service is good too. You should be able to get battery, oil, filter(s) and possibly even a fuel additive form them.

I'd probably want to just drain the tank and chuck in some clean fresh fuel, see how it goes rather than using additive in old fuel. If it starts and is carb (I'm not sure on that bike) then I'd also want to check them over / blast with carb cleaner. They'll probably want a rebuild though after sitting for so long with fuel potentially still in them.

Soldato
Personally I’d sell it if it’s getting such little use, and buy another one when you’re ready to start riding again.
I got the impression he was ready to start again, hence looking at sort it out now. But yeah, that's also a good point tbh. If it's not getting any use and won't for the foreseeable, might be sensible to sell.

Man of Honour
I got the impression he was ready to start again, hence looking at sort it out now. But yeah, that's also a good point tbh. If it's not getting any use and won't for the foreseeable, might be sensible to sell.

I got a different impression from this post:
Good point about the oil. Will give me something to do whilst on lockdown.

I can easily start it monthly. That’s no problem.

Thanks for the advice. Only reason I don’t or haven’t rode for last 3.5 years is I had a daughter and it doesn’t matter how good I am. It’s the others that don’t see you.

it’s a Yamaha FZR600 2003

Back
Top Bottom