Wobbly fan, what's the score with hardware repairs right now?

Commissario
My iMac has an intermittent wobbly fan and I really need to get it booked in while it's still covered by AppleCare.

It's not the noise that the fans make when they're ramped right up but can happen at any time and a bit annoying. It sounds as though one of the fans is wobbling (I've recorded it on my iPhone, zipped it and it's attached to this post). It is intermittent though, I can go for days without it happening.

With all the stores closed, does anyone have any experience of the current repair service? Are they doing collections?

I know I could ask Apple but I'm sure we have some Apple employees here who might know the answer.

Thanks.

Attachments

• iMac fan noise .m4a.zip
    42 KB · Views: 6
Soldato
The problem with mail in repair is it’s handled by a contractor really, they don’t test much -
Run diagnostics and a quick visual inspection, not ideal for intermittent faults.
In store we depot a lot of machines ourselves now but these tricky ones should be dealt with ourselves.

As for the issue itself - First thought is the cable which connects the fan to the Logicboard may be not seated properly and causing contact. Never seen it happen myself but it’s possible even if unlikely.

having been asked to stay at home I can’t check any internal policy changes (as information is on a need to know basis) - apple Care used to always encourage iMac to be dealt with in store as transporting via courier is a nightmare ..
I assume they’ve relaxed this now.
How long is left on your apple care?
My advice would be leave as long as possible and hope stores reopen. If it’s not looking likely then set up a mail in repair with days to go.
If it’s not fixed (no trouble found) then call again and submit new evidence of the issue - hopefully stores will be open shortly afterwards.
We can cover out of warranty repairs when they were first reported in warranty as long as not too much time has elapsed (guidance is about 3 weeks).

that’s what I would do in this scenario

Commissario
OP
Thanks for the advice.

The problem with mail in repair is it’s handled by a contractor really, they don’t test much -
Run diagnostics and a quick visual inspection, not ideal for intermittent faults.
Urk, I didn't realise that. I'd put that on par with using a third party repairer which I'm always very keen to avoid.

How long is left on your apple care?
It's good until the first week of August.

Part of the problem is that it's very intermittent, thinking about it now, it probably hasn't happened for a few weeks but when it starts, it's really annoying. I don't think it's any of the main fans which ramp up as gets warm because it can happen at any time, whether the system is being thrashed or not. But then, I don't know how many fans this has inside.

Did you listen to the rattle sound I posted as I think it sounds like something wobbling.

I think you're right, hope the stores are open before the AppleCare expires and just get it booked in.

Soldato
Yeah I heard it - is it was a failure on the fan itself I would expect it to be more common ... only way to really tell is to look inside really though. There is a fan test we can run ( and I assume apple support too) but all it really does is test to see if the fan can reach certain speeds and to listen for sounds at those speeds, might be able to use that - or maybe some benchmarking app - to see if it can be replicated at high temperatures or speeds.

Soldato
You could try an ASP too if there are any still open in your area, they will be able to deal/repair under Applecare cover. I know before we shut for corona, Apple was sending us a boatload of stuff as we were the only place open in our area. Safer than mailing it too as like Alpherah says, it's a nightmare sending iMacs through courier.

Commissario
OP
to see if it can be replicated at high temperatures or speeds.
Thread bump because it's hardly done it since my last post in this thread and that's been what two months? I had a couple of instances last week where totally out of the blue, it started again for a minute or so at a time.

You could try an ASP too if there are any still open in your area, they will be able to deal/repair under Applecare cover.
I don't trust them. I know they're approved, etc but I just don't trust them.

I have an appointment at my nearest Apple shop next Sunday. Naturally I have full backups and anything that may (or may not) be a little dodgy will be removed before I take it in and the guest account will be enabled.

I don't expect them to be able to replicate it, it really sounds like something wobbling to me and it can happen when the fan is going full tilt or at idle.

@Alpherah Do you know how many fans are in this model iMac? It's a 2017 27" i7.
/edit - Just found a teardown, there seems to be only one. Well hopefully they'll replace it, that would be the best fix.

Soldato
I don't trust them. I know they're approved, etc but I just don't trust them.

Really? Any particular reason why? We have exactly the same training and procedures.

edit: I've edited this about a million times because however I write it, it seems super defensive lol. It's not meant to be, just curious :)

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Really? Any particular reason why? We have exactly the same training and procedures.
I know, it's totally illogical on my behalf. I just feel that if I'm getting warranty work done then I'd rather have it done by Apple rather than a third party.

edit: I've edited this about a million times because however I write it, it seems super defensive lol. It's not meant to be, just curious :)
I'm an admin, I can see all your edits ;)
I didn't see the comments as super defensive, just descriptive. Perhaps out of warranty, I'd consider an ASP but not when still under AppleCare.

Soldato
I know, it's totally illogical on my behalf. I just feel that if I'm getting warranty work done then I'd rather have it done by Apple rather than a third party.

Ah ok, I get you and don't think it's illogical :)

I'm an admin, I can see all your edits ;)
I didn't see the comments as super defensive, just descriptive. Perhaps out of warranty, I'd consider an ASP but not when still under AppleCare.

<blush!> I hope you had a drink and were sitting comfortably lol. I should have written it out, and left it until I was happy and then posted it. Instead I posted, went away, thought about it, came back and edited it lol. :)

In either case, hope you get it sorted good Sir!

Commissario
OP
In either case, hope you get it sorted good Sir!
I set up an 'apple' account and dumped the sound recordings on the desktop and took it in today.

I explained the problem and without me having to prompt or ask, they said they'll swap the fan out. No issues whatsoever. I was initially told it could take up to five days and then after he'd booked it in, he said it might slip to seven days as they don't have the fan in stock. That's fine, naturally I want it back as soon as possible as I'm just using my MacBook now but as long as it's fixed, I don't really mind if it takes a week.

Soldato
I set up an 'apple' account and dumped the sound recordings on the desktop and took it in today.

I explained the problem and without me having to prompt or ask, they said they'll swap the fan out. No issues whatsoever. I was initially told it could take up to five days and then after he'd booked it in, he said it might slip to seven days as they don't have the fan in stock. That's fine, naturally I want it back as soon as possible as I'm just using my MacBook now but as long as it's fixed, I don't really mind if it takes a week.
Which store did you go to? My store is up to 12-15 day Mac turnaround now .. the joys of being so small I guess

Soldato

Ah good to hear, glad it's getting sorted no fuss :)

Which store did you go to? My store is up to 12-15 day Mac turnaround now .. the joys of being so small I guess

Are you back at work now Alpherah? What was your REPTAT before the lockdown? Was it 2/3 days from ordering? Reason I ask is, I am wondering if ours will be extended too. Hope so, will make things a lot more relaxed heh.

Soldato
Ah good to hear, glad it's getting sorted no fuss :)

Are you back at work now Alpherah? What was your REPTAT before the lockdown? Was it 2/3 days from ordering? Reason I ask is, I am wondering if ours will be extended too. Hope so, will make things a lot more relaxed heh.

Standard for us is usually 3-5 however it’s shooting up as demand is massively out stripping supply due to social distancing

Soldato
Standard for us is usually 3-5 however it’s shooting up as demand is massively out stripping supply due to social distancing

Yea, I can imagine things are going to be quite busy next few months especially for you guys. I just had a sneaky look on GSX and our shop reservations are manic! I didn't realise lol. I only work in the workshop usually as the bulk of our work is insurance repairs related, I didn't even know they had been called back from furlough.

Back
Top Bottom