Yikes.... I only just went and did it!

Transmission breaker
Don
Welcome to the club :

I only got my full license last summer, and had a CBT for 2 years beforehand.

The gearing up thing does take some time, but I quite enjoy the process, and you can usually safely make up the time on a commute if needed, and if you are riding for fun, why worry about it :D

You will get faster at it, and streamline it a bit the more you do it, but it's good time to spend getting mentally ready for the ride :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks gents. I'll get a paddock as it's has more uses.

My riding (albeit limited) has massively improved.

I finally have all my gear together, rides have been much more pleasant.

I installed my first mod last week, some bar end mirrors. I can finally see! :D The original mirrors were shockingly bad.

I'm so in love with the bike

482NY3M.jpg
BTwELKJ.jpg

Man of Honour
Thanks gents. I'll get a paddock as it's has more uses.

My riding (albeit limited) has massively improved.

I finally have all my gear together, rides have been much more pleasant.

I installed my first mod last week, some bar end mirrors. I can finally see! :D The original mirrors were shockingly bad.

That scratch on an otherwise immaculate bike would wind me up.

Soldato
OP
The manual states 29psi for the rear and 26psi for the front. Does that sound right?Does being tubeless make a difference?

I had the rear at 22psi at the petrol station and it feels like a brick. I was afraid to pump it further.

Can anyone pitch in?

Soldato
The manual states 29psi for the rear and 26psi for the front. Does that sound right?Does being tubeless make a difference?

I had the rear at 22psi at the petrol station and it feels like a brick. I was afraid to pump it further.

Can anyone pitch in?

That's what the manual says, so put that in. Google seems to match that too.

Tyres will 'feel like a brick'. They're not soft like bicycle tyres, they're motorcycle tyres.

In comparison, if your tyres are under inflated your bike will handle like a big heavy brick. Most new rider's complaints of poor handling or lack of confidence tends to be associated with incorrect tyre pressures. It's SO essential for motorcycle handling, pump them up to the correct pressure.

Soldato
OP
That's what the manual says, so put that in. Google seems to match that too.

Tyres will 'feel like a brick'. They're not soft like bicycle tyres, they're motorcycle tyres.

In comparison, if your tyres are under inflated your bike will handle like a big heavy brick. Most new rider's complaints of poor handling or lack of confidence tends to be associated with incorrect tyre pressures. It's SO essential for motorcycle handling, pump them up to the correct pressure.
Thanks for the reassurance!

Associate
Nice looking bike there sir!

I am interested in getting a 125cc motorbike license but am new to all of it so when this coronavirus goes i will pursue it.

I have been looking at 125cc bikes, one is the honda monkey > https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/125cc/monkey/specifications.html#/ but sadly won't support my body weight because i am 20 stone.

For me i need a motorbike that does 100 mpg on average which will be easy enough to find.

Will continue researching.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
Been looking at the honda super cub c125,

What i like about it is that there is no clutch to mess around with but still a manual gearbox, very economical at 100-120 mpg real world use.

I am interested in the super cub as it is more beginner friendly for people not used to a manual gearbox but without a clutch it is more easy to master.

Dan.

Soldato
Been looking at the honda super cub c125,

What i like about it is that there is no clutch to mess around with but still a manual gearbox, very economical at 100-120 mpg real world use.

I am interested in the super cub as it is more beginner friendly for people not used to a manual gearbox but without a clutch it is more easy to master.

Dan.

Have you done your CBT? If not, I'd recommend you speak to a training centre that does them and has geared bikes (first google result for Bournemouth is http://www.lets-ride.co.uk/cbt-compulsary-basic-training ).

I went from zero bike knowledge to managing just fine on a geared 125 for my CBT and it means you have some that can help you learn to use the clutch and shift properly in a safe environment, instead of somewhere randomly down the line in your riding career.

Associate
Have you done your CBT? If not, I'd recommend you speak to a training centre that does them and has geared bikes (first google result for Bournemouth is http://www.lets-ride.co.uk/cbt-compulsary-basic-training ).

I went from zero bike knowledge to managing just fine on a geared 125 for my CBT and it means you have some that can help you learn to use the clutch and shift properly in a safe environment, instead of somewhere randomly down the line in your riding career.

Thank you, i will wait until this virus is gone then i will pursue it.

Anyways more experienced professional riders know about using the gears without using the clutch at all!

Here is something about it with below link.

https://www.quora.com/If-I-shift-ge...ng-the-clutches-is-it-good-or-bad-for-my-bike

And here below

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=228102

Here is some how to guide below

https://lifeatlean.com/how-to-perform-clutchless-upshifts/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mastering the clutch is pretty straight forward no need to avoid it.

Clutchless shifting is a whole other ball game that doesn't need thinking about until you can ride a geared bike using the clutch.

Back
Top Bottom