The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Caporegime
The Planet X365 bibshort (currently £20 on special) are great... Admittedly, I have never used anything other than some Skins tights.

Just bought 2 of these. And some of their under layers on deal of the week and sunglasses too.

6 items for circa £85 thought that was a bargain.

I probably could do with 2 more but I'll wait and see how these go and maybe try just shorts with no straps for the other 2.

Soldato
Little Zwift race tonight.

Been riding outside too much, needed the extra push of the game to work hard, get that leg speed and longer effort in. My shorter efforts from on the road have been good, decent 3-5 minute power but not 30 minute plus.

Was mucking around with my Cervelo and wasn’t feeling it but forced myself to ride and feel better for it.

Didn’t have any warmup which wasn’t the best prep! Cracked at the end and didn’t make the final split 2km from the finish.

Soldato
OP
Did a little race for the first time in years, whopped my ass. I'm so unfit compared to when I was properly riding a lot. Good thing is, my son is 12 and is currently riding with me. He's got zwift and we're riding together every day. He's putting out like 130w FTP pushed up from 80 when he started. He weighs 38kg, and zwift tops out at 45kg so he's probably got an even better w/kg that I ever will haha and he beat me in the bloody race by 2 places!

Man of Honour
Topped a Zwift race yesterday! Most prime points out of everyone when scaled to the categories :)

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=622159

I went go anywhere near Zwift races... very cool!

Did a little race for the first time in years, whopped my ass. I'm so unfit compared to when I was properly riding a lot. Good thing is, my son is 12 and is currently riding with me. He's got zwift and we're riding together every day. He's putting out like 130w FTP pushed up from 80 when he started. He weighs 38kg, and zwift tops out at 45kg so he's probably got an even better w/kg that I ever will haha and he beat me in the bloody race by 2 places!

Kids these days!

What size bike is he using, and on what turbo, please? My kids are desperate to have a go on Zwift but I cant fit their bikes (24") on my Tacx Bushido...

I have decided to start a structured training programme on Zwift (given I am at home, anyway): 4wk FTP Booster... anything good/bad about it from experience? First round was this morning and it wasnt too bad, and then straight into Joe Wicks with my kids (first exercise was 1 minute of BW squats straight into 1 minute of burpees) - such burn.

And in bib shorts, too.

Man of Honour
Competition always inspires me to push that extra bit harder, so it's perfect for me!

Got a Zwift FTP boost too, 266w now and started at 228w at the beginning of April (measured on Wahoo Kickr) - need to get back in the 300+ club from when I was a keen cyclist.

That is awesome.

I just need to recover to a slightly less unfit state. Plus I have to work out when I can do my regular squats and deadlifts... :eek:

Soldato
Had my first go on RGT Cycling. It didn't alter the resistance on my turbo trainer though... then I saw something about, connect the power and also pair up the gradient, or something like that? Also, are we supposed to be getting premium for free while on lockdown?

Anyone else used RGT?

Soldato
From just 20 minutes going round and round on Canary Wharf it seemed pretty good. It does a couple of things I never understood why Zwift doesn't do, like counting down to the sprint segment. I think I saw, while in the spring segment, it giving me live updates on progress, 2 seconds behind etc. My Wahoo does that on the road too, why can't Zwift?! I love that when drafting it tells you exactly how many watts your saving. Tuck right in behind someone and you're saving about 70 to 80 watts! :)

Found this on getting the premium for free -

To access RGT Cycling for free
  • Download the app and register
  • Send an empty email to [email protected] from the same email account you used to register for RGT.
  • That’s it!
DO NOT SUBSCRIBE USING THE APP STORE UNLESS YOU WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TO OUR CAUSE!

With the rain coming, I'll probably give it a few more tries and perhaps make a video review of it.

Soldato
Just looked in to RGT - it looks prettier than Zwift! Based on this review video I've just watched, it sounds like there's features in it which will make it more geared towards competitive riders

https://youtu.be/rpU-HjAOZqg?t=292

Edit: Not listened in myself, but apparently this podcast makes it seem that Zwift aren't too interested in fixing sandbagging.

m7PI2nY.jpg

https://zwiftcast.com/podcast/episode-82/

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve tried RGT. It has potential but it was buggy as hell for me. Used my iPhone to run the app, with an iPad as the screen. They lost connection with each other 5 times during a 1 hour ride up a virtual Cap Formentor.

Hopefully they can iron the problems out as the route really was recognisable as the real thing (which I did at the start of March so it was fresh in my mind). It’s got a lot less people on it than Zwift which also helped with the realism. I also like that you get no benefit from pedaling past a certain speed when cornering and descending. Feels more realistic.

Soldato
I tried Rouvy's workout app the other night. Utter crap.

imGbnEw.png

The +/- buttons did nothing and just got in the way. Can barely see the percentage watts target or the bloody arrow. No idea what watts I'm supposed to be at. Could barely see the watts/cadence on right hand side. The app looked like it was a first android tutorial project.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just downloaded RGT....first impression the UI is already 100 times better than zwift. Links to my training peaks account which then uploads my training program the same as zwift..... Already i am wondering why i am paying for zwift.

So done the admin, will take a ride tomorrow with it and report back, but first impression are good.

Back
Top Bottom