Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeh I bought my TT rig from there and had an hour wind tunnel session. It's an amazing facility!

I was going to go back for the fitness assessment, VO2 max testing, lactic threshold etc so a bit gutted it's closed, especially as it's 30 mins from home.

Soldato
i decided to take advantage of lockdown and not having any obligatory riding to do (no commutes) to try and fix my disastrous posture. Correcting my pelvis only succeeded in highlighting that my whole top half was twisted too. probably explains why i was going through left gloves and bar tape much faster than right.....

What program have you been following out of interest? My posture is a total disaster despite loads of remedial work, and something as symmetrical as a bike really shows it up.

Soldato
Got a bit carried away and bought a set of DA 9000 brakes on eBay last night without checking they’d fit.

Jury is out but they probably will... Shimano official line is 25c, but they are always conservative.

My first gen Red callipers (2008 for SRAM Red 10) have 2.5mm clearance from the top of the tyre to the brake and I can’t see Shimano being “behind” SRAM (2012 for DA9000).

Soldato
HAha, miss me? (again)! Really not had time to jump on here as don't tend to visit forums from my mobile and really not got around to grabbing the laptop. I won't bore you with the riding I've been doing, but have been really enjoying the weather! :cool:

My riding had a bit of a slump for a few weeks before being furloughed at the start of April while working from home. No commute and missed a weekend or two. But I've more than recovered from that now. Am probably where I was last year after a couple of long/tough hilly sportives on less volume as have just been riding harder short sessions. I've had a couple of mostly 20mph flatter good rides around an hour as I've been doing local loops and restricting myself to an hour... With a couple of exceptions (still none of them the epics I've wanted to do). But I have also tried to make sure I ride most days to keep an upward curve of fitness, it doesn't always work out with daddy daycare and an other half annoyed from still having to work (from home) haha! ;)

Although today being wet and noticing some choppy/sloppy/grindy cadence the last couple of rides I'm going to target some SS stuff on the turbo... Might be turbo all week looking at the weather now too. Not a problem, get some technique back and then smash out the long overdue FTP test. I should test well as many of these outside rides I've been riding good solid sustainable tempo 230-270w feeling good with threshold/surges 300w+ up climbs and not needing to ease for most of an hour. I don't feel I've got my climbing legs yet but tackled this one exploring yesterday after a workmate said it was unrideable. Good solid 80-90% climb effort after a good 20 minute jaunt out to it (did as part of a loop another friend asked if I could do in an hour). What a joke, it was nowhere near the steepest around here! :rolleyes:

What level chain are those Roady? I have always used SRAM and never had an issue, from PC1130 up to Red PC1190 iirc.

My next chains more likely to be Ultegra just because I heard they were quieter and a little better shifting.
That was a PC1130, they're the only chain I've used the past 2-3 years. Really rate them and have probably been through 10 of them. Got a PC1170 on there now (only SRAM the LBS had in stock to pickup) but have a PC1130 spare back on the shelf and even picked up an Ultegra chain to try as it's been a while since I had a Shimano. But I want to only ride it in summer to get 'perfect' measure of it rather than my winter abuse (which PC1130 have been 'best' for), so unless I have a massive summer here that won't be until next year.

I think you need a whole new bike Roady. :)
As if! Still gotta pay childcare until next Jan probably means unlikely it'll be this year... But with 2 holidays rescheduled, if either then gets cancelled from restrictions I may have some funds to do it this autumn. Although current furlough 80% wage, without the little man in Nursery we're actually a few quid better off per month lol :o

If anyone works for (or has a NHS person in their house), Endura are offering 50% discount of RRP. You need to e-mail proof (selfie with NHS ID) to in to Endura by the 21st April.

https://blog.endurasport.com/?BlogID=1003
That's great! Love it when companies do things like this, really showing support.

Aha, you're gonna open a can of worms here. Only triathletes wear sleeveless.
Haha totally my thinking when I read it! And don't forget the short/none socks. Criminals.

Me and a mate happened to both see a video about a guy who flew to France with a buddy and cycled back over a week. We've now got the idea we could do similar, but maybe a little smaller scale, so maybe get a train to Edinburgh and cycle back to London over 3 or 4 days. Anyone done anything like this? Any thoughts?
Cam Jeffers has done one of those, bought the cheapest flight he could find in europe and then cycled back.

You probably need to get some long rides (when it is 'safe'/recommended to do so) in the legs and then do a couple of them on consecutive days to judge how the accrued fatigue builds up and effects you. We're all different, so can have different effects on us, but also something you can train... But some riders are always naturally better at 1 day races, some at stage races and some at grand tours...

My mates got a Kickr core on order so will be giving me his vortex to use on Zwift so that will give me numbers to go on at some point.
It's fairly consistent numbers from them providing you're not tweaking setup (removing bike and re-tensioning) and always using the same PSI. But those are averages over more longer efforts, anything short it drastically under reads when cold, or over reads if you overpower it like I found. Good starter to base solo training on but for someone like you, you need a direct drive to get more accurate and trustworthy numbers for shorter efforts/races etc.

Finally got some bar tape on my Holdsworth after riding it nekkid for a month. Orange and blue is the order of the day. Really pleased with the bike though, excellent value for a nicer trainer and PX service was actually decent. The quality of finish isn’t great (the paint marks quite easily for example) but considering what it cost and what it’ll be used for, I’m not overly concerned.

Looks great! Really eye catching and looks far more special than it has any right to be! Although bar tape being a different shade of blue would bug me... Once it's a bit grubby it'll be fine! ;)

Someone in my feed did 150 miles today....I can justify my distance so maybe he can too.
HAha, I did that a couple of weeks back... Had done around 60-70 miles in 3-4 days and after a couple of messages with a guy from work (to check out climb above) swung past his profile to see how he was getting on (expecting to see the same)... 191 miles. In 4 days. No wonder he couldn't climb. :rolleyes:

Well, it looks like I wont be getting the bike fit any more as they've just announced they're closing the Performance Centre! :(
Gutted! Sure hope someone picks this up as it really did stand a chance of being quite a focal point for cycling in the UK. Part of me thinks BC should be backing it, if they didn't already when they built the thing?! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
That was a PC1130, they're the only chain I've used the past 2-3 years. Really rate them and have probably been through 10 of them. Got a PC1170 on there now (only SRAM the LBS had in stock to pickup) but have a PC1130 spare back on the shelf and even picked up an Ultegra chain to try as it's been a while since I had a Shimano. But I want to only ride it in summer to get 'perfect' measure of it rather than my winter abuse (which PC1130 have been 'best' for), so unless I have a massive summer here that won't be until next year.

Went to order a PC1130 this morning and seems Wiggle were OOS and Sigma charging £21 now!

Soldato
What program have you been following out of interest? My posture is a total disaster despite loads of remedial work, and something as symmetrical as a bike really shows it up.

i havent been doing anything formal - i spent half an hour trying to figure out how i was wrong and then went looking for ways of correcting it.

i started out with fixing lateral pelvic rotation using this https://posturedirect.com/how-to-fix-a-rotated-pelvis/

that's highlighted that my torso is on the twist too, and i've been using this https://thepostureguy.com/correcting-common-posture-deviations-thoracic-torso-rotation-2b2bef5b3a5f - the palms down hip crossover is probably the best stretch i've ever done

that coupled with some general stretching - i have "yoga for cyclists" by lexie williamson, and foam rolling

Soldato
Since I’m now working from home, I’m in the fortunate situation of no longer being able to waste all my disposable cash on posh sandwiches. Thankfully the cycling industry has plenty of things to fill the void so today I splurged a bit on this: https://www.yoeleobike.com/carbon-road-bike-integrated-handlebars.html

If Covid-19 doesn’t get me then who knows, maybe these bars will. At least my bike will look cool as hell though.

Soldato
i havent been doing anything formal - i spent half an hour trying to figure out how i was wrong and then went looking for ways of correcting it.

i started out with fixing lateral pelvic rotation using this https://posturedirect.com/how-to-fix-a-rotated-pelvis/

that's highlighted that my torso is on the twist too, and i've been using this https://thepostureguy.com/correcting-common-posture-deviations-thoracic-torso-rotation-2b2bef5b3a5f - the palms down hip crossover is probably the best stretch i've ever done

that coupled with some general stretching - i have "yoga for cyclists" by lexie williamson, and foam rolling

Ah thanks, I’ll take a look. I’ve also got that yoga for cyclists book and the Tom Danielson one but tend to do stuff I’ve found on the internet rather than following either of them. I might dig them out and have another read.

@Roady the differing bar tape shade does annoy me but like you say, hopefully dirt will blend it in eventually! Plus, it was only a tenner and it’s LizardSkins tape which is good stuff, so couldn’t pass it up.

Associate
Since I’m now working from home, I’m in the fortunate situation of no longer being able to waste all my disposable cash on posh sandwiches. Thankfully the cycling industry has plenty of things to fill the void so today I splurged a bit on this: https://www.yoeleobike.com/carbon-road-bike-integrated-handlebars.html

If Covid-19 doesn’t get me then who knows, maybe these bars will. At least my bike will look cool as hell though.
Let me know how you get on with these, i've been looking for an upgrade and the Yoeleo handlebars seem to look the part.

Soldato

Those are pretty smart and look very similar to the Canyon integrated handlebars. They also have a much better range of fit options, Canyon annoyingly don't offer their 390mm bars with a longer than 100mm stem.

Soldato
Those are pretty smart and look very similar to the Canyon integrated handlebars. They also have a much better range of fit options, Canyon annoyingly don't offer their 390mm bars with a longer than 100mm stem.

I'm tempted by these actually because they do a 38 and you can have 120mm.....
Seems to be a German "thing". Cube TT bikes all come with a 90mm stem max which you can then barely replace with any other stem.... they don't make anything longer than 90mm for their TT frames.

Has nobody told the Germans that anything less than 120mm isn't even a stem? It's a chump stump.

Soldato

They really do. All joking aside, Yeoleo are probably the most well established of the Chinese carbon manufacturers so I'm fairly confident they'll be decent quality. I'll let you all know how they are once they arrive!

Soldato
Had my first ride with the Shimano S-Phyre this evening... wow! Smashed many a PR. The route I've done 20+ times with a previous best of just under 1hr 4 mins, I did just under an hour! Very impressed with them.

Also, heard back from Halfords and they're giving up on sending me the eBike and sending me a Cycle2Work voucher... for £2750, with accessories for £275! Wow!

Soldato
Not if his Mrs has symptoms. She must isolate for 7 days and anyone living with her should isolate for 14 days, to allow time for symptoms to show if they are infected. :(

Maybe the rules changes then, because my Mrs had symptoms in mid March, but was told by NHS111 I could exercise outdoors providing I kept 2m away from others.

Back
Top Bottom