Games you're playing, and games...

Associate
Still going through dark souls 3 for about the fourth time (this run will be my 1st stab at the dlc's). I have discovered how great the exiled greatsword is in this run. Near the end of grand archives now so will soon have the avelyn crossbow to tear through nameless king before trying the first dlc.

Caporegime
Spider-man! Yay! Or not. I dunno, it's not really got me engaged yet. The fighting and web swinging/slinging things just seem to be a bit flakey for my liking. I'll give it a while longer but it's not instant excitement like I had with Control.

Associate
Finished FF7 Remake a few days ago. Now back to Persona 5 Royal, and mixing it up with some Assassin's Creed : Odyssey ( god, this game is massive ... I keep on getting sidetracked ) and a bit of Animal Crossing : New Horizons on the side.

Associate
I must be missing something with Red Dead Redemption 2. It’s really slow and clunky, and maybe even tedious to play.
You're not the only one that thinks that. I hate the clunky controls - this seems to be something that Rockstar have struggled with for years which is strange given how superb their games are in other aspects. Reminds me a bit of CDPR with The Witcher series : fantastic game world, great story, audio & visuals but awkward controls.

Associate
Just finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Absolutely fantastic game. It's the most I've been invested in a game's story in years. It had some frustrating moments that were very difficult to get through, such as the sandworm chase, and the bugs were annoying but it was well worth persevering with. I think I'll play through again in a few months when all of the bugs have hopefully been ironed out.

I've just started Prey which I picked up second hand a while ago for a fiver. Looking great for a a fiver!

I really enjoyed it. There's a fair bit of replayability depending on which upgrades you use, choices you make and so on.

I must be missing something with Red Dead Redemption 2. It’s really slow and clunky, and maybe even tedious to play.

I've tried getting into it a couple of times and gave up about 4 or 5 hours in on both occasions. I can't see what all the fuss was about.

Soldato

Just finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Absolutely fantastic game. It's the most I've been invested in a game's story in years. It had some frustrating moments that were very difficult to get through, such as the sandworm chase, and the bugs were annoying but it was well worth persevering with. I think I'll play through again in a few months when all of the bugs have hopefully been ironed out.

I really enjoyed it. There's a fair bit of replayability depending on which upgrades you use, choices you make and so on.

I've tried getting into it a couple of times and gave up about 4 or 5 hours in on both occasions. I can't see what all the fuss was about.

Agree with both of you a bout the Red Dead 2 controls, but honestly keep at it. I started playing again maybe 2 weeks ago and I was still very early in the story, as it hadn't grabbed me. But i carried on and i got really emotionally involved in the story towards the end. I think i actually had a wierd af dream about it last night, too. We don't discuss that, however... Keep on going!!

Edit: Currently playing Red Dead 2, Rocket League and F1 2019. Only recently bought F1 but I've finally managed to find the right difficulty(90) and I am having some absolutely brilliant races. Dropped it down to 50% races too as they're short enough to do in one sitting, but long enough to have tactical choices to make under safety cars etc. Also think it's one of the best F1 games they've made recently.

Rocket league is simply an absolute laugh

Man of Honour

I’ve stopped playing until the bugs are fixed. Luckily it’s not a game that should ever leave game pass so I’m not in a rush to finish it.

Soldato

The controls do their best to ruin an exceptional game world and a decent if not outstanding story. I never got to the point where I liked them but eventually they become less obnoxious. For me, the best parts of RDRII were exploring and discovering the weird side quests, going hunting and marvelling at just how well-realised the areas were. The actual missions are so scripted that they're a chore at times but the setting will take some beating.

Man of Honour
The controls do their best to ruin an exceptional game world and a decent if not outstanding story. I never got to the point where I liked them but eventually they become less obnoxious. For me, the best parts of RDRII were exploring and discovering the weird side quests, going hunting and marvelling at just how well-realised the areas were. The actual missions are so scripted that they're a chore at times but the setting will take some beating.

Graphics aren’t important to me, so having the main quests and gameplay being so poor might mean this isn’t the game for me.

How did this game get such high reviews? Is it just because it’s made by rockstar?

Man of Honour
Graphics aren’t important to me, so having the main quests and gameplay being so poor might mean this isn’t the game for me.

How did this game get such high reviews? Is it just because it’s made by rockstar?
RDR2 is brilliant if you can overlook its weak points. I cannot overlook them myself.

Strengths:

Highly appealing theming / aesthetic
Interesting / intriguing slow-burn cinematic story
Beautiful world
Sandbox freedom

Weaknesses:

Core ‘mission gameplay’ is weak (travel to here, do something, travel back)
Filler

I get bored of the GTA games for the same reason. The story and all the other pros cannot let me get over the fact that there is so much bull**** filler. I don’t want to run needless, unrewarding errands. There is no payoff from marching your horse all over the place for the millionth time on the way to a mission. It’s just not intense, not challenging and not FUN.

If you are perfectly happy with that sort of gameplay mechanic or have a higher attention span, I can see you rating the game more highly.

Oh, one tip.... pretty much always wear your bandana - stops you from becoming wanted when you accidentally run over a chicken or whatever.

Man of Honour
If you are perfectly happy with that sort of gameplay mechanic or have a higher attention span, I can see you rating the game more highly.

I do have a high attention span, but this game seems to be all about the graphics and not a lot else.

The controls are so convoluted and random (why does x sometimes loot, and why is it sometimes y? Why are there so many buttons with tap for one function and hold for another?), all of the animations are stiff and awkward, there are a lot of filler chores put in the game for some reason, and my horse appears to be mentally challenged. Oh, and combat is too easy as there's "snap to the enemy" auto aim.

I recently found a fondness for open world games with Zelda, Skyrim, Horizon, and Witcher 3 but this one just seems like I have really enjoy all the rubbish parts of games to enjoy it. A bit like a vegetarian "enjoying" food :p

Did you ever play RDR 1? @Kreeeee

Nope.

Edit: I can see this being like The Last of Us, where having an above average story for a video game gets it heaps of praise despite the gameplay being pretty poor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom