How do you organise your mobile phone photos?

Associate
Hi all

Interested to know how you organise, store, back up and view your photos. Obviously my question is directed to those who take a lot of pics on their phones on holiday, during special occasions etc

Me and my wife both have Iphones and have ended up with years of pictures, thousands, on our Iphones. We usually take pics on both of our Iphones. Connect to Mac and drag them over to the computer into designated folders 'Budapest' or 'Christmas 2019' etc. Then delete them from Iphone.

Then back up the Mac via external hard drive.

A particular annoyance is that if you move pics into albums on your iphone, they still all apear in your camera roll. And I cant drag the contents of an Iphone folder onto my Mac, I have to select the pics individually.

Also - Think I should be using an online backup option such as google photos?

Viewing - Wife is keen on making printed albums. Im thinking its better to go down a 'digital album' route via an ipad or similar?

Soldato
Google Photos

1) Backups automatically to the cloud
2) Automatically creates albums based on location
3) Intelligent search - if I want to find a picture of a person, I just type their name. If I want to find a picture of a cat, voila, all cat photos

Soldato
Google Photos

1) Backups automatically to the cloud
2) Automatically creates albums based on location
3) Intelligent search - if I want to find a picture of a person, I just type their name. If I want to find a picture of a cat, voila, all cat photos

Sadly im most interested in the animal feature and... if it can ID people via their name what about pets? if i looked for my dogs name would i get all the pictures containing him?

Soldato
Sadly im most interested in the animal feature and... if it can ID people via their name what about pets? if i looked for my dogs name would i get all the pictures containing him?

The animal feature was an example. If you search for "white car" it will show you them. if you search for "receipt", it will show you all of your receipts. Yes - if you take a photo of your pet, and name it, it will auto identify all future photo examples of your pet.
You search for "DogName" and voila, they are all there.

Soldato
The animal feature was an example. If you search for "white car" it will show you them. if you search for "receipt", it will show you all of your receipts. Yes - if you take a photo of your pet, and name it, it will auto identify all future photo examples of your pet.
You search for "DogName" and voila, they are all there.

This is what the internet was made for! not to compile the combined knowledge of the human race... but so i could easily look at pictures of my dog

Soldato
I tell Android to save photos to my SD card - none of this cloud rubbish is needed if you're sensible. With each new phone, I basically strip everything off it, apps, contacts, photos, etc, and transfer to my PC. Then my new phone is truly fresh, apart from any contacts, messages and apps I have transferred over. It is seldom I transfer any photos to a new phone as I already have them on my PC.

Soldato
This is what the internet was made for! not to compile the combined knowledge of the human race... but so i could easily look at pictures of my dog

Yes, probably my most used feature!!

It will also set up an automatically updated folder. Every photo you take of the pet will be recognised and added to DogName folder.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Organised by name on the SD card. I do not use cloud as I don't like the way you can't fully tailor the browsing experience.

"YYYY.MM.DD - Name" format for collections of an event/session etc with general tital formats for everything else spanning multiple dates.

I use Simple Gallery to view and manage photos/videos.

SimpleGallery_1.jpg
SimpleGallery_2.jpg

Associate
OP
Can I upload to google photos from all devices? So if I have a bunch of pics on my iPhone. And a bunch on my Mac.

What’s about short video clips made on my iPhone when on holiday? Can I upload them too and will they slot into date order also? Same as scrolling through iPhone camera roll?

Don
Photos on phones are unsorted.

Periodically both my wife and I upload them onto our home NAS (just a cheapy 1-disk Synology), which automatically synchronizes every night with Google Drive.

As a secondary precaution, once a month or so I backup the whole NAS to an external HDD.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Google Photos. My dedicated camera RAW files as stored locally on my desktop, the JPEG exports are uploaded to Google Photos and into specific albums. I then have Amazon Drive backup the RAWs, as it's free unlimited storage for RAW files.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Google Photos mostly, the search feature is generally pretty good and it's able to automatically categorise quite a lot of things.

I also use a scheduled SSH script on my PC to backup my phone's SD card onto my PC once a week just incase. Yay for rooted phones that can run SSH servers on them. It's so much easier than using USB to transfer things.

Back
Top Bottom