How do you organise your mobile phone photos?

I have a temp / landing folder on my PC where I dump my phone and digicam photos, then they're arranged by date. If they were taken around 25th December for example, I know that they will be Christmas photos. Then I'll cut and paste them into a more relevant folder. Family, home, friends, clubbing, technology etc.

Then I have 2 backups at any given time onto external 2.5" hard drives. On-site and off-site.

Associate
OP
I have a temp / landing folder on my PC where I dump my phone and digicam photos, then they're arranged by date. If they were taken around 25th December for example, I know that they will be Christmas photos. Then I'll cut and paste them into a more relevant folder. Family, home, friends, clubbing, technology etc.

Then I have 2 backups at any given time onto external 2.5" hard drives. On-site and off-site.

Thats pretty much what we are doing. Taking pics on both my Iphone and wifes. Once in a while downloading them to Mac and putting them in relavent folders. Hopefully when we add 'Holiday 2019' from my phone and 'Holiday 2019' from my wifes phone the pics will automatically be sorted by created date and time. Else it will be a real mess and not at all chronological.

I was looking for a better/faster system than this - hence the thread. Surly backing up online is easier/faster/more flexible than faffing about with two hard drives, one of which you have to keep off site?!

Soldato
Depends, on phone (iPhone) its iCloud with copies taken and backed up to our NAS (which then has nightly versioned backups) or, on Actual camera just SD card and then the same copy/backup process.

Soldato
I map my desktop and laptop folders for pictures, videos etc to one drive and then copy from phone to folders which then automatically sync with OneDrive

Thinking of going Google photos to make is more automated but not sure how that will work with mine and my wife's separate accounts yet as it would be better if they merged somehow for photos

Soldato
Mine are on iCloud first (200gb family plan between us all), I then sort them into albums to make things nice and tidy. These then get sent to my OneDrive (family o365 plan so I have 1tb storage) and a copy syncs to a local hard disk. That way I only have to sort photos the once and have a cloud and local backup.

Soldato
If you are both using iPhones then definitely iCloud. Go for the family plan, 200gb is £3 or something. You then share this 200gb between both of you. Benefits; Uploads all your photos straight away, very straight forward to use, instantly avaliable on your Mac and also backed up in the cloud. Accessible via icloud.com also if you want to pull up a photo or video.
You are welcome to do a backup to external drive if you need to also.

I use Android myself but my parents are both on iPhones and iCloud was the best thing I ever did for my own sanity (with regards to their technical problems!) Watching them navigate iTunes (back in the day) or explaining how to do it manually via Explorer was very frustrating.

You can also easily create albums etc on the Photos app on your Mac and then just drag and drop the photos in.

Apple's ecosystem is very slick, utilize it.

I get your point about photos in the camera roll still there if you put them in albums, you would prefer camera roll to be the 'unsorted' pile I presume?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Back up high res versions to Google photos for unlimited storage.

Use the app sweet home to upload original size images and videos to my NAS once we re-join the home WIFI.

Back
Top Bottom