LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
@Azrael1 After half a year a dead pixel dot appeared, when I touched it two horizontal and vertical lines appeared.
Every day there were more and more of them. My monitor has never fallen or hit.
Just go to Amazon and read about this model, many people had this damage and the warranty did not cover it

Associate
@Azrael1 After half a year a dead pixel dot appeared, when I touched it two horizontal and vertical lines appeared.
Every day there were more and more of them. My monitor has never fallen or hit.
Just go to Amazon and read about this model, many people had this damage and the warranty did not cover it

To be fair if that happened to me I would wait and get the Acer X38 even if it meant waiting longer. I would never want to give LG cash again

Associate
I wish to get a new monitor, 4k or 3440x1440 around 34-38 inches max with gsync would this be a good choice?

I game a lot and am going to buy a new tower with it too.(3900x with a 2080TI)

my 2080 ti is making on average ~100hz on all ultra ( RTX off ) on this resolution 3840X1600 ( COD, PUBG, BF5 ). With RTX on - 60~80
On 4k you will get only ~ 60hz with RTX off.

So, this monitor LG38G950, has some potential for a feature - at least 20pfs for 10bit and 44fps for 8bit. It also can be overclocked to 170hz ( 8 bit only ).
So you have up to 70-100 hz unusable today in your backpack waiting for a feature GPUs ( providing that you push everything to ultra settings ).

as to CPU,
I use Ryzen 3600, there is zero benefits to go with 3900 just for gaming. It may give you ~3 fps in best and only in some games. There are some benchmarks for same configuration on web. It just does not give anything except minus 300$ :)
9900k probably will give you 6-8fps more. But memory will be limited to 32gb, no PCIe 4 support -> zero feature proof config

Associate
Is there a Samsung alternative to this display? Was about to buy one but not happy about the number of problems people seem to be having, nor having to be concerned about warranty if I can’t trust we’re I buy it from

Associate
Finally I got a RMA from LG.com.
I'm about to send it back and re-order it from Amazon or Best Buy once it is back in stock or maybe it will appear later in Costco.
It is a decent screen, but like any product it may have manufacturing defects. LG.com just not a good place to buy having much better alternatives.
I counted only few complains about fan, I think I just among those unlucky few...

Associate
my 2080 ti is making on average ~100hz on all ultra ( RTX off ) on this resolution 3840X1600 ( COD, PUBG, BF5 ). With RTX on - 60~80

So, this monitor LG38G950, has some potential for a feature - at least 20pfs for 10bit and 44fps for 8bit. It also can be overclocked to 170hz ( 8 bit only ).
So you have up to 70-100 hz unusable today in your backpack waiting for a feature GPUs ( providing that you push everything to ultra settings ).

as to CPU,
I use Ryzen 3600, there is zero benefits to go with 3900 just for gaming. It may give you ~3 fps in best and only in some games. There are some benchmarks for same configuration on web. It just does not give anything except minus 300$ :)
9900k probably will give you 6-8fps more. But memory will be limited to 32gb, no PCIe 4 support -> zero feature proof config

Memory limited to 32GB? Like 98% of games don't use more than 16GB of RAM and I know of zero games that use more than 32GB. 9900K also supports up to 128 GB memory.

Associate
Memory limited to 32GB? Like 98% of games don't use more than 16GB of RAM and I know of zero games that use more than 32GB. 9900K also supports up to 128 GB memory.

I didn't see any ITX motherboards supporting more tnan 32gb on Intel. I don't like big boxes.
And there are more than just games. I do work as well.
On x570 you can put the new Ryzen, which is a plus.

Soldato

as to CPU,

Thanks for the reply, looking at 3700x with a 2080 super for now but can't decide on monitor though this on my shortlist.

Is the HDR decent on this? do many games support the resolution fine?

I do want a larger monitor with higher refresh/res but seems the new Asus 32 inch 4k gaming could be another option.

Associate
Is the HDR decent on this?

I have this monitor turning up this week. There's a good youtube vid (https://youtu.be/NgDykMvzoG8) on the monitor and it's being compared with a £2500 monitor, the chap keeps the more expensive one but he also like the 38gl950g as well.

The HDR? is it good? not really, as i'm sure others in this thread will attest to, but it's 38inch super wide and it looks amazing and HDR is a nice to have but i think this one will make up for it not being HDR1000. I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello - Just a quick question, as I searched the thread and couldn't see the answer.

Can any one owning this monitor confirm whether it has a PIP/PBP feature? Not sure which one is which, but is it possible to have two inputs displayed at the same time? My old Samsung ultrawide was quite useful in that I could have both PC and PS4 running at the same time in a splitscreen format.

Thanks.

Associate
Mine arrived this morning.

It's amazing! sharp and no noise.

i've not had time to configure it properly yet. my displayport cable (DP to DP-mini, not the one you get with the screen) is not working correctly, so currently using HDMI :(

Associate
Mine arrived this morning.

It's amazing! sharp and no noise.

i've not had time to configure it properly yet. my displayport cable (DP to DP-mini, not the one you get with the screen) is not working correctly, so currently using HDMI :(

Good stuff. Any pics of your setup?

I also had another question if the thread could help - I keep seeing different model numbers, i.e. 38GL950, 38GL950G and 38GL950G-B. Are there actually differnet models in circulation?

Associate
Any pics of your setup?
not yet, i'm using it for my work monitor while i build my pc. i've got to wait for the new Team Group 8Pack memory to turn up, its the last thing. that being said, it's giving me time to properly cable up nice and tidy. it's been 5-6 years since i last built a pc. i'll post when it's built and, fingers crossed, running.

Associate
Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
That does sound like the fan. I know there is at least one fan in those units. However I am sure someone wrote there may be 2 ? one on the G synch module as well ?

I would get it replaced - £1600 is a large amount for a new monitor.

Associate
Sound is gone. Been gone for 24 hours. Neverthless i am gonna replace it. Gonna have amazon ship me a new one when they have some in stock and then send this one back. Anyone know what the difference between fast and normal response time is?

Associate
So i just got this monitor brandnew yesterday. Less than 24/hr.

Day 1 I gamed on it all night. No sound. Then today i am just doing light work and now its making this ticking sound.

I think its related to the fan. But does this sounds like a bad bearing? Or how the fan is suppose to sound? I uploaded a video to reddit

https://reddit.com/r/ultrawidemaste...andnew_lg_gl950_popping_sound_listen_to_this/

I experienced the exact same issue, albeit a bit louder, after 3 days (posted a video earlier in the thread).

Returned to OC and got a new one and 2 weeks in so far so good.

Associate
Thanks for responding. That’s good to hear! Amazon is out of stock right now. So I am hoping they will let me hold on to this one and I can just do a swap when they have one in stock. Waited 2 weeks for this thing. It seems to me we really don’t get what we pay for when it comes to computer monitors.

Back
Top Bottom