The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Caporegime
My kickr has been dispatched by sigma.

It's going to be delivered tomorrow.

I bought the same cassette as my bike to go on it. The wife has a different number of teeth on hers. Do I need to change cassette when changing bikes?

I know it comes with a cassette but thought it was best to get the same as my bike to match the same experience.

Associate
It depends how big the difference is but it should work. May need to adjust the B-tension on the mech to make space for a bigger cog. Is there no way she could fit on your bike with the seat down?

Soldato
My kickr has been dispatched by sigma.

It's going to be delivered tomorrow.

I bought the same cassette as my bike to go on it. The wife has a different number of teeth on hers. Do I need to change cassette when changing bikes?

I know it comes with a cassette but thought it was best to get the same as my bike to match the same experience.

Depends on range of the cassette you are about to put on the new turbo and whether your wife's rear mech is short (SS) or medium (GS), if it has Shimano components.

Officially, SS mechs support up to and including 28T biggest sprokets, while GS mechs support at least 32T (some newer road ones support 34T and beyond).

However, there are many reports of people exceeding the official max size sprocket, by playing with the b-tension screw.

Caporegime
i'm 6 foot 1 and she's like average woman height which is manlet size. her legs would struggle i think and my saddle is already pretty low already. it's only a few inches off the bottom however i believe it's leg inseam size that matter so it's something i might try.

DRIVETRAIN
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Deore XT M8000 GS
Front Derailleur
Shimano SLX M7020
Shift Lever
Shimano SLX M7000 2/3s
Shift Lever
Shimano SLX M7000 11s
Cassette
Shimano SLX M7000 11-42 11s
Crank
Shimano MT600 36/26
Bottom bracket
Shimano BSA BB52
Chain
KMC X11-93

that is her setup

and the cassette i'm going to put onto the kickr is a

FREEWHEEL Sunrace CSMS8
  • 11-42 teeth
  • 11 speed

and the cassette i'm going to put onto my bike to replace the above is a

Shimano Deore XT CS-M8000

11 speed 11-42t

it looks like all of ours match which seems like a great coincidence - so there should be no issues right? i thought she bought a bike with less teeth but looks like it's the same.

Soldato
Yeah. I must have done a fair few rides on it. It has its bugs but is interesting enough to trial. Back at the start of Italy's lockdown they had a 30 day trial going. Not sure about now.

I did some Swiss climb, a virtual Wiggle Hell of Hexham sportive (got the KOM so "won" it :D), a virtual Valley of the Tears (not quite as bad as the real thing but still rough) and a few other little rides. The workout app is absolutely terrible.

Soldato
OP
He's 12 so he's on my wife's small road bike no issues. In fact, he was on my medium de rosa today (they come up quite small, those Italians!) as my wife was down there too.

Wz0GQiV.jpg

As the above was a proper mess I'd been meaning to sort for ages, such as:
44kD9pw.jpg

Had a proper tidy up and made space for the 4th trainer setup... just need the donated 42" to arrive and I'm going to look out for a couple of cheap 32" TVs and apple tv for the kids to run on! Much happier with how it is down there now. Need to get some more flooring still and going to do a proper cable tidy.

b8BWC7T.jpg

7CXM3tl.jpg

M3de097.jpg

Soldato
Okay, cool. They appear to have 14 days of premium for free at the moment. Does it sync to Strava? I can't find an option to link them.

It does but tbh I just downloaded the FIT files and dumped them in Strava. I didn't want all the small test rides dropping onto Strava. There were a few issues with that download fit button on their site too.

Soldato
Nice, I like the lower half of the garage being painted darker.

I did an hour on zwift today. Some crazy gusty wind so wasn’t going out, maybe tomorrow.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I had a long ride planned outside today but the wind put me off, so got RGT working, its actually very very good, so good i am going to cancel my Zwift for it.

Soldato
OP
Man I got proper fat over Winter... didn't even realise it either until I started recording more youtube vids and caught sight of myself and was like WTF!? Hadn't weighed myself or anything, and didn't want to, but bit the bullet and jumped on the scales and measured at the same time. **** me that was depressing! I'd got up to my heaviest I can remember ever being at 106.8kg. Chest was up to 46", hips at 43.5 and waist at 43". I was gutted, but have been riding on average 150km a week since and mixing it up with HIIT workouts as well about 3-4 times a week too.
I started this about 6-8 weeks ago I think now? But did an end of month check and I'm now down at 99.5kg, 44" chest, 40.5" hips and 38.5" waist. I feel so much better already but know it's just the start. I would love to get below 95 by the end of the month but regardless, keeping on pedaling out on the trainer has been great for me.

Keep pedaling on people!!

Soldato
I see Zwift has managed to break the workout sync feature between it and TrainingPeaks, pretty key functionality there. :/ Not great for a subscription service.

Standard. The key difference in this situation is that they actually admitted it and sent an email out to everyone. That's like next level decency for this shower.

They always release their patches on a Friday. **** off for the weekend leaving whatever they've broken until mid next week at least before releasing another patch the following Thurs/Fri to everyone's machines.

How they are where they are is baffling because they are one of the most incompetent groups of people I have ever come across in terms of service/product offering.

Soldato
OK sorry all but I'm a fair weather road cyclist at best, used to ride a little bit more before the kids, but alas things change.

Since lock down Iv'e been out on the roadie a lot more I dont have an amazing bike by any stretch but it does good enough for me! Specialized Allez Elite 2013.

Im not a serious earner, and i have a mortgage and kids to support on 1 income, so im trying to see if Zwift is something i can get into on a budget? Maybe to do some internet/social rides with my brother.

Ive done a little reading, but wanted some suggestions from my trusted source OCUK!

Would i get what i want from a budget zwift setup? (Ant stick and a basic turbo?) Or are there any alternatives or ways to get into this without spending multiple hundereds?

I already have a PC, and a laptop etc. So its really only what i need for my bike that i dont have already?

Any help to understand it would be appreciated.

Regards

Soldato
Im not a serious earner, and i have a mortgage and kids to support on 1 income, so im trying to see if Zwift is something i can get into on a budget? Maybe to do some internet/social rides with my brother.
Unfortunately everyone is on the same plan on Zwift. I'm not aware of any discounts but I believe it is no contract so if you don't foresee yourself using it much one month you could quit.

Proper basic you could get any old turbo and some speed/cadence sensors and an ANT+ stick. If the speed/cadence sensors do BLE you might not even need ANT+ stick if your laptop has Bluetooth.

However, if you want it to be more engaging then perhaps look for the likes of the Tacx Flow Smart. It's the cheapest properly smart trainer you can get - the resistance can be controlled by Zwift/whatever other software.

Back
Top Bottom