The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
bringing it back on track. Glenkinchie. Nom. And chocolate. Double nom.
I've only had a 20cl sample bottle of Glenkinchie 12 and I wasn't particularly impressed. Not enough to get a full bottle at least. Not got around to trying any of their others, which may well be better.

Man of Honour
Hello - it’s been some time since I’ve posted in here but I was quite pleased with myself with a sneaky discovery I had.

Octomore 6.1 is probably the best whisky I’ve purchased and it’s long since been discontinued (they are on version 10 now). The Octomores tend to go for £100+ on auction sites and I actually got my first bottle for £120ish with fees and postage etc. It’s gone for £140ish more recently.

Whilst browsing the Bruchladdich website it seems, unlike all of the other discontinued Octomores, that you can still buy it directly brand new for £125 a bottle, so I’ve ordered a couple thinking it was a glitch but I’ve just had a dispatch confirmation; yey!

https://www.bruichladdich.com/laddie-shop/octomore-archive/octomore-06-1-167-ppm/

^ link for anyone interested.

I can’t say I have a huge experience with all the Octomores but I really liked that bottle and it seems well regarded elsewhere.

Soldato
Aren't most peated whiskies around 40-60ppm? 167ppm is kinda silly. I wouldn't pay £125 for a 5yr aged whisky either. That and the fact it's nearly 60%, I can't imagine there's any subtlety there at all. Not for me!

Soldato
Aren't most peated whiskies around 40-60ppm? 167ppm is kinda silly. I wouldn't pay £125 for a 5yr aged whisky either. That and the fact it's nearly 60%, I can't imagine there's any subtlety there at all. Not for me!
You can peat a whisky as much as you like. Whether other people then like it is a different matter. Nothing wrong with cask strength, it's not uncommon to see 55-63% bottlings. 5yrs does seem young but in this era of increasing no age statements at least they're putting a date on it. It doesn't mean it's all 5yr old. It means the youngest barrel that went into the bottling is 5yr old. (Unless they declare it a single cask bottling in which case it's all 5yr. )

Soldato
I'm aware of all that. Each to their own, I'm growing a fondness for some peated whiskies like Longrow and the 12yr G&M bottling of Bunnahabhain I've got on the go currently. But if he's relatively new to single malts (?) I dont think laying 125 smackers on something like that is a good step on the single malt journey, shall we say :) Just my 2p.

Associate
The PPM rating is somewhat misleading as it it a reading taken from the malted barley pre distilation. There are a whole host of things that will impact how much is left by the time the whisky gets bottled. It's entirely possible to get something with a relatively low PPM rating which has a peatier aspect than something with a much higher rating. Personally I think they should be testing just prior to bottling for a more accurate indicator of what you are getting.

Soldato
The PPM rating is somewhat misleading as it it a reading taken from the malted barley pre distilation. There are a whole host of things that will impact how much is left by the time the whisky gets bottled. It's entirely possible to get something with a relatively low PPM rating which has a peatier aspect than something with a much higher rating. Personally I think they should be testing just prior to bottling for a more accurate indicator of what you are getting.

This.

Octomore is generally one of the highest pre distillation but there are a few others that are higher once it hits the bottle.
I think Ardbeg's Supernova is one of these (and very nice it is too but certainly not one to start the night with) and I did read something last year where some scientists (who happen to be whisky enthusiasts) compared and tested a lot of these. Can't remember the blog name though.

Soldato
@Lupis and @Bickaxe well every day is a school day, especially when it comes to whisky. I did not know that :)

My friend had recommended to me the Port Charlotte 10 but warned me it's pretty peaty. That is actually "only" 40ppm!

Reading about Octomore's on Master of Malt:
Bruichladdich distillery's range of insanely peated single malts continues with this 63% abv 07.3 release, made with 169 phenolic parts per million. That's an awful lot, more than any normal 'heavily peated' whisky (comfortably more than double, in fact), but some Octomore releases have been over 200 PPM in the past!
I do maintain it's not the best place for a beginner to start. It's like starting a foodie journey eating in a 3 michelin star restaurant, or a chilli journey eating a naga whole and raw. You'll miss the whole journey, and the inbetween getting there. As we know, sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

I'd recommend the Bunnahabhain 12, Springbank 10, Longrow Peated, Old Pulteney 12. You could probably get 3 of those 4 bottles for the same price as the Octomore and it'll be a great educational experience along the way.

That said, that's obviously just my 2p and everyone can do what they want with their money :)

Associate
@Lupis and @Bickaxe well every day is a school day, especially when it comes to whisky. I did not know that :)

My friend had recommended to me the Port Charlotte 10 but warned me it's pretty peaty. That is actually "only" 40ppm!

Reading about Octomore's on Master of Malt:

I do maintain it's not the best place for a beginner to start. It's like starting a foodie journey eating in a 3 michelin star restaurant, or a chilli journey eating a naga whole and raw. You'll miss the whole journey, and the inbetween getting there. As we know, sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

I'd recommend the Bunnahabhain 12, Springbank 10, Longrow Peated, Old Pulteney 12. You could probably get 3 of those 4 bottles for the same price as the Octomore and it'll be a great educational experience along the way.

That said, that's obviously just my 2p and everyone can do what they want with their money :)
I don't think anyone is advocating octomore as a beginners whisky, or have I missed a post? If it's nitefly's post you are referring to, they are definitely not new to whisky.

Soldato
it might have come from my post where I said it wasn't for beginners. Just a general comment rather than aimed at anyone in particular.

Back
Top Bottom