• I have a landline and I have a phone plugged in

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • I have a landline but no phone plugged in

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I do not have a landline

Votes: 19 25.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
We took the line from Virgin Media as it was cheaper for the phone and broadband than it was for just broadband, but it's never used (doesn't even have a phone plugged into it, and never has).

Caporegime
We took the line from Virgin Media as it was cheaper for the phone and broadband than it was for just broadband, but it's never used (doesn't even have a phone plugged into it, and never has).
yea mine was the same then it started ringing but not stopping unless I unplugged the phone.
then it stopped working all together.

I don't know if it was the phone that died or the actual phone line and I don't really care.

no idea if broadband would be cheaper without the phone, should probably look into it some time

Associate
Yes, came with the deal when switched providers. Bought a couple of original rotary dial phones. One looks like the type you see in classic spy thrillers (I felt like I had been handed The Gold Codes whenever making a call). :D

Novelty soon wore off when they go off at silly times (bell ring - so loud) and no surprise, spam calls. Obviously could not see who was calling so unplugged. Pretty cool though and now resigned as ornaments.

Soldato
Have one, and 3 DECT phones, that never get used. Sky insisted that we have a landline with broadband and SkyQ. My wife might call her mum, or she might call us once every 3 or 4 months or so, if either one isn’t answering their mobile.

Soldato
Guys im thinking what reasons i need a landline for these days ?

I have quite a comprehensive mobile contract and a lot of calls are now made on Whatsapp/facebook , my home internet is Fibre from sky .

Any thoughts

I live in a city and still can't get any flavour of fibre, so how would I get my internet if I didn't have a landline?

Soldato
Not since I got my own house. I have cable internet so it's pointless. I haggled Virgin down to £32 for 100 mbit and I don't think the others are cheaper with line rental on top.

Even if I switched to a phone line connection I wouldn't plug a phone in.

Last edited:
Associate
Still have one at my parents place, because my remaining parent isn't tech savvy enough to be trusted with anything more complex than the basic phone that's plugged in the landline (and callers to mobile and landline they don't know they won't know how to respond or do anything anyway, so its easier to manage on a landline since nothing more can happen on that accidentally). Would be a dialing phone if it was still supported and we had one that still worked well and didn't kick off other devices when it rang. But yes, we still have one. By choice. Although once we find a suitable alternative (we haven't yet), we will likely lose it.

Soldato
IPphone used inside the house , cheapish(est)/reliable/goodPQ option;
in a poor 3g/4g reception area, anyway, so would need wifi calling for a mobile.

I only had a landline in my student digs during the first 2 years of university. That was Sep 1998 to Jun 2000. In Sep 2000, I got my first mobile (Nokia 5110 yay!) and been on mobiles ever since. So haven't had a landline for the past 20 years.

On a similar note, I've never had a TV, ever. Granted TV isn't that relevant these days, but I'm talking before 1998 and 1998 onwards when I left home. Before 1998, as child/teen, I never had a TV. Left home in 1998 and still never had a TV and just got used to not having one.

Back
Top Bottom