"Delivery handed to resident" No, it wasn't!

Man of Honour
Just a bit of of rant to get it off my chest...

I ordered some things from Amazon a couple of days ago (nothing that OcUK sells) and the delivery was due on Wednesday 27/5 with free delivery. OK, that's fine. I'll make sure I get up early on 27/5. I usually work very late shifts, so my day is time-shifted. But as long as I know the delivery day in advance, it's not a big problem.

Then I got an message on Fri 22/5 telling me that the delivery would be on Sunday 24/5. Well, OK. A bit annoying to have things changed without even asking me, but OK.

This morning at 0916 when I was of course in bed, a message was sent telling me that delivery had been changed again and it would be delivered today. Because to hell with the customer. Why give a damn about them? Why should a company care what plans their customers have made based on what the company has told them?

When I got up around 1400 I saw that message, went to parcel tracking and was told that the delivery had been handed to me at 1124. I looked carefully in my bed, but despite the claim on Amazon's website the delivery driver had not teleported into my house and put the parcel in my hand as I slept. They'd just left it on the doorstep. Of a house without any front garden, so the doorstep is on the public pavement. Because to hell with Amazon's customers, they're just an inconvenience to Amazon logistics. Keep changing the delivery date so they can't plan anything. Leave the parcel in a public place on a public street so it can easily be stolen and lie about what you did with it. Customers? **** 'em.

It's not just Amazon, of course. Last week one of my neighbours asked me if I'd recieved a parcel for them. They'd come home to find a card from Hermes stating that a parcel (presumably delivered on a random day different to the day they'd been told it would be delivered on) had been left with their neighbour at <indecipherable scribble>. Wasn't left with me. Wasn't left with the neighbour on the other side. Eventually they found their parcel in the wheelie bin that happened to be on the pavement that day because it was collection day.

People sometimes ask me why I still do most of my shopping at physical shops. This is why.

Soldato
Apparently Hermes delivered to me earlier .... erm nope. But there's proof on their website .... erm nope, that door is a different colour and style to mine. And mine has my house number mounted on the wall next to it.

Caporegime
its covid they put the box down 2 metres from your door and then knock on and walk away assuming your home. (even royal mail are self signing deliveries not the actual recipient now, I guess stealing is rife)
unless they are the ones that can breath and think at the same time the ones that realise, what if someone isn't at home?

you have no garden so your parcel was probably left in the street and driven over by the delivery guy as he left

I think it depends on the driver rather than the company. I had a problem with Hermes back in early 2018 where tracking said that they left it in my blue bin but I didn't receive a calling card which implies that they delivered to a different house. This happened with 2 items. Had to claim via PayPal charge-back because eBay ruled in the seller's favour.

Nowadays, particularly during the covid crisis, Hermes have been absolutely fine.

Caporegime
This is one of the reasons I have CCTV covering the front of the house. I can always prove that no delivery was attempted or that the parcel was abandoned and subsequently stolen (though the latter has never happened).

Soldato
This is one of the reasons I have CCTV covering the front of the house. I can always prove that no delivery was attempted or that the parcel was abandoned and subsequently stolen (though the latter has never happened).

I have a really overt CCTV camera. It was fitted when I had a spate of missing parcels, which have mysteriously stopped since the camera was installed.

It cost me about £8 and it's totally fake. But it does the job :cool:

Soldato
I work for Royal Mail, we are currently signing on behalf of the customer BUT were told to place the parcel next to the door, knock then step two metres back, if no answer when we still have to leave a 'Something for you card' and take the package back to the depot for either a redeilvery or for a collection by the customer.

Soldato
Lol Hermes colour me surprised. Amazon pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

I work for Royal Mail, we are currently signing on behalf of the customer BUT were told to place the parcel next to the door, knock then step two metres back, if no answer when we still have to leave a 'Something for you card' and take the package back to the depot for either a redeilvery or for a collection by the customer.

I got a "signed for" item shoved through my letterbox not even a knock the other day. I was in too. I don't know why people bother with it you don't even get any more compensation if its reported as lost. Total waste of money.

Caporegime
This is exactly what my postie does. Last week I missed the delivery and when I woke up, I reviewed my rubber doorbell video as it had a notification that someone was at my door. It showed him ringing my bell, then stepping away for a few mins then writing out a card.

Man of Honour
Just a bit of of rant to get it off my chest...

I ordered some things from Amazon a couple of days ago (nothing that OcUK sells) and the delivery was due on Wednesday 27/5 with free delivery. OK, that's fine. I'll make sure I get up early on 27/5. I usually work very late shifts, so my day is time-shifted. But as long as I know the delivery day in advance, it's not a big problem.

Then I got an message on Fri 22/5 telling me that the delivery would be on Sunday 24/5. Well, OK. A bit annoying to have things changed without even asking me, but OK.

This morning at 0916 when I was of course in bed, a message was sent telling me that delivery had been changed again and it would be delivered today. Because to hell with the customer. Why give a damn about them? Why should a company care what plans their customers have made based on what the company has told them?

When I got up around 1400 I saw that message, went to parcel tracking and was told that the delivery had been handed to me at 1124. I looked carefully in my bed, but despite the claim on Amazon's website the delivery driver had not teleported into my house and put the parcel in my hand as I slept. They'd just left it on the doorstep. Of a house without any front garden, so the doorstep is on the public pavement. Because to hell with Amazon's customers, they're just an inconvenience to Amazon logistics. Keep changing the delivery date so they can't plan anything. Leave the parcel in a public place on a public street so it can easily be stolen and lie about what you did with it. Customers? **** 'em.

It's not just Amazon, of course. Last week one of my neighbours asked me if I'd recieved a parcel for them. They'd come home to find a card from Hermes stating that a parcel (presumably delivered on a random day different to the day they'd been told it would be delivered on) had been left with their neighbour at <indecipherable scribble>. Wasn't left with me. Wasn't left with the neighbour on the other side. Eventually they found their parcel in the wheelie bin that happened to be on the pavement that day because it was collection day.

People sometimes ask me why I still do most of my shopping at physical shops. This is why.
Pretty much all couriers are doing contactless delivery at the moment due to Covid-19. So they knock, and leave it at the doorstep.

I get parcels every day, and this is a universal thing at the moment.

Caporegime
Pretty much all couriers are doing contactless delivery at the moment due to Covid-19. So they knock, and leave it at the doorstep.

They are supposed to see you take the parcel though if you haven't chosen a safe place.

Coronavirus response

If a safe place hasn’t been chosen but there is somewhere safe to deliver the parcel, we’ll leave it there, even if there’s someone in the property – we’ll take a photo which will be included in the delivery notification email.

If no safe place is available or a signature is required, we’ll knock on the door and step aside making sure the parcel is delivered safely. For those parcels requiring a signature, couriers have temporarily been given approval to confirm receipt on behalf of a customer; but only when that customer has answered the door and given them permission to do so. This has been put in place to minimise contact. If there is no answer, the parcel will be returned to our depot and we will attempt delivery 3 times.

Soldato
if I ever get a 'parcel was handed to resident' delivery when it clearly wasn't my first thoughts are it's been delivered to the wrong address or the delivery driver is at it - that's never been the case tho, it'd be slightly easier if they recorded the delivery as 'left under the stairs' or whatever!

Man of Honour
OP
its covid they put the box down 2 metres from your door and then knock on and walk away assuming your home. (even royal mail are self signing deliveries not the actual recipient now, I guess stealing is rife)
unless they are the ones that can breath and think at the same time the ones that realise, what if someone isn't at home?

It's not really covid-19. I've had a couple of other deliveries during lockdown. The covid-19 procedure is to verify the recipient's presence, not just leave it in the street and hope for the best or just not care what happens. One delivery company took a photo of me and the package. Others have put it down by the door, knocked, seen me give them a thumb's up through the window and left.

you have no garden so your parcel was probably left in the street and driven over by the delivery guy as he left

It was on the doorstep/pavement. Still there 4 hours after delivery. I live in a decent enough neighbourhood. If I hadn't opened the door and found it it would probably have remained there until a neighbour took it in for me or I went out shopping (which wouldn't have been for a week or so). No card left, no indication of a delivery at all, so I initially assumed that either a mistake had been made and it had been delivered to the wrong address or that it had been given to one of my neighbours. I went out to check if any of my neighbours had it. I hadn't even considered the possibility that it had just been left on the pavement.

if I ever get a 'parcel was handed to resident' delivery when it clearly wasn't my first thoughts are it's been delivered to the wrong address or the delivery driver is at it - that's never been the case tho, it'd be slightly easier if they recorded the delivery as 'left under the stairs' or whatever!

If the message had said "we delivered on a random day so you wouldn't know and couldn't be prepared, then we left it on the pavement. You'd better go check if anyone has stolen it!" that would have been much better. Of course, delivering on the stated date would be better still and should be standard level of service.

Soldato
I've had a few deliveries and all but one has rung the bell waited until I've answered and then set the package down on the wall next to the door. Exception being Hermes, who said they handed to resident, which was false. The address isn't even residential. I contacted the seller and a day later the parcel had been returned to them. Tracking still says delivered. Got it sent our with RM instead

Soldato
It's the race to the bottom with consumer parcel delivery I'm afraid.

When Amazon logistics drivers are getting paid like 20p per parcel delivered and having to work 16 hour days on a zero hour contract then of course corners are going to be cut big time.

I usually almost always get my Amazon purchases delivered to the local locker.

Soldato
About 35 days ago I ordered £650 of tyres.

The shop used parcel force who claim on their tracking info that I signed for them at 1130am a few days later. The thing is I live alone and was at work that day (can be proven by my van tracker).

Anyway, I have no idea where the tyres are and am yet to receive a refund. The shop I bought the tyres from want me to sign a form that parcel force sent me to say I haven’t received them. Apparently the parcel force delivery guy has gps that puts him at my address at the time of claimed delivery.

I’ve refused to sign the form as I have absolutely no contract with parcel force. The shop have around 10 emails back and forth with me telling them I have not received the tyres. 30 days have lapsed since the order date so I’ve requested a refund. They are refusing so I’m going to wait a week or two and call my credit card company to reverse the charge.

Absolutely bewildered. I can only guess that the driver left the tyres outside my home and they have since, unsurprisingly, been stolen.

Man of Honour
OP
It's the race to the bottom with consumer parcel delivery I'm afraid.

When Amazon logistics drivers are getting paid like 20p per parcel delivered and having to work 16 hour days on a zero hour contract then of course corners are going to be cut big time.

I usually almost always get my Amazon purchases delivered to the local locker.

I should have done, but skipped it because I'm in every day at the moment (furloughed until who knows when) so naively thought that delivery to my home would be fine.

Soldato
I should have done, but skipped it because I'm in every day at the moment (furloughed until who knows when) so naively thought that delivery to my home would be fine.

Even on furlough I've still had them taken to the locker as it's a pain having to look out for a door knock all day, especially if I'm upstairs or in the garden.

Back
Top Bottom