Things that ruined your childhood

Man of Honour
Amongst all the doom and gloom I thought it would be fun to discuss things that gave us a fright or disturbed us when we were young.

What’s prompted me is that I stumbled across the below clip from Ren and Stimpy. The show was so damn ****ed up and completely unsuitable for children. What were they thinking!! I can remember watching this show on BBC2 and feeling so awkward and unnerved by it. We are drawn to the things that scare you I guess.

The middle clip in this where Ren gets angry.... Jesus Christ! :eek:

There was an episode I remember where Ren is plotting to kill Stimpy in his sleep that was really disturbing but I can’t find a decent clip of it... seemed to be hard to find decent clips of the show on YouTube - probably for the best!! Anyone else have their childhood ruined by that show or any others?

In before the “Threads” :p

Man of Honour
OP
Most of the people I used to watch turning out to be pedo's put a taint on it.

Also, ren and stimoy was epic. Not sure it was a kids show.... Came out in my teens I think.
I’m afraid I’m going to spoil your childhood further because the creator of Ren and Stimpy was also recently plagued by accusations of ‘dodginess’, for which he in part apologised.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kricfalusi

Man of Honour
OP
it was never gory though. Well, as gory as a cartoon can be.
Yup there was never any gore... plenty of ‘hammer to face’ sort of moments though. They made a reference to a bag full of drowning of kittens once that was pretty brutal :s

I was always on ‘Team Tom’ :)

Man of Honour
Watching American Werewolf in London when I was 8 years old.

Totally desensitized me and I have never found an horror film since to be scary and no image of death or the dead, disturbing.

Associate
Watching American Werewolf in London when I was 8 years old.

Totally desensitized me and I have never found an horror film since to be scary and no image of death or the dead, disturbing.

Not just me then! I much prefer spooky stuff rather than gore nowadays! American Werewolf was the first horror film I watched and of a similar age. I never rode my bike home faster that night. Must have been around 1984 when VHS recorders were new.

I vaguely recall, Ulysses 31 had a couple of episodes which were dark for a kids cartoon. Might be my imagination. I just remember watching at the time thinking what is this?

Just watched the Ren clip, call me a prude... warped for a kids cartoon.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say the school system and growing up in the country and somewhat patents also being youngest of four. Total waste of time and completely and utterly demoralising for me. Sitting around being shouted at by teachers for year after year was not constructive for me. Some people seemed to do well but it didn't suit me, must have just been my personality. Bit of an outsider.

I do admit in later school years I developed an attitude but that was partly to do with the monotony of it all. Teachers seemed to think I was bright and could do way better, now I could have done better but I never saw myself as particularly bright just average.

Some of my teachers were dinosaurs suited for medieval times. Very strict, bizarre at times but I did do well at running managed to get quite a few caps for country. I was right up there in top 5 in Britain for a few years.

Edit: think this is meant to be music and film stuff and childhood not teenagehood but there you go.

Associate
Posted before in the random image thread.

The Hamlyn Book's of Ghosts & Horror. Like a moth to a flame, as a nipper I would scare myself witless.

Awesome illustrations and picked up copies not so long ago.

hamlyn-ghosts-1978-3.jpg

hamlyn-ghosts-1978-5.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Caporegime
I must have saw aliens when I was about 6 as well as all the other movies that came out around then.
never had a problem with TV or movies.

I was scared of the dark a bit though... find it more disturbing listening to creepy real life horror stories on like the channel of "Lazy Masquerade" on youtube.

some of them really freak me out if I'm alone late at night.
probably even better if youre sitting in a park or somewhere late at night listening with headphones

Back
Top Bottom