G Sync query regards DisplayPort 1.2 and 1.4

Associate
I've tried to suss this out myself, but am not sure I've got it right yet...

I'm getting a new build with the 2070 Super as my graphics card. It'as output is DisplayPort 1.4. The motherboard (Carbon B450) is 1.2.

I'm looking to get a new monitor and would like to take advantage of G-Sync. My reading of this is that, as long as there is some form of G-Sync compatibility, that the monitor will work fine with a DisplayPort of 1.2, even though the graphics card is 1.4. Firstly - is that right? Secondly, if I bought a monitor with DisplayPort 1.4 is that better? Is there an advantage if both graphics card and monitor are 1.4?

I'm looking for a 1440p, 144Hz IPS - primarily for gaming, but I also do a bit of photography, so sRBG would be good too. Seems like most are out of stock, but if I can get the DisplayPort question sorted in my head, it may let me rule in/out a few possibilities.

Thank you.

Soldato
Forget about the DP of the motherboard. Ryzen CPUs other than those with a G suffix don't have onboard graphics. It's only the DP of your GPU that matters.

DP 1.4 has higher bandwidth than DP 1.2. This is important if you're running a high-refresh rate 4K or 1440p monitor.

The monitor to choose is one that is 'GSync compatible'. Such a monitor will work with both Nvidia's GSync and AMD's Freesync - GSync seems to be on the way out FWIW.

I suggest you take a look at the Iiyama 3440x1440 IPS monitor, but read this thread first. TLDR: quite a high initial failure rate and a lingering issue which Iiyama are working to resolve.

Do be aware that Nvidia are expected to be launching their next generation of GPUs in August / September.

Associate
OP
Forget about the DP of the motherboard. Ryzen CPUs other than those with a G suffix don't have onboard graphics. It's only the DP of your GPU that matters.

DP 1.4 has higher bandwidth than DP 1.2. This is important if you're running a high-refresh rate 4K or 1440p monitor.

The monitor to choose is one that is 'GSync compatible'. Such a monitor will work with both Nvidia's GSync and AMD's Freesync - GSync seems to be on the way out FWIW.

I suggest you take a look at the Iiyama 3440x1440 IPS monitor, but read this thread first. TLDR: quite a high initial failure rate and a lingering issue which Iiyama are working to resolve.

Do be aware that Nvidia are expected to be launching their next generation of GPUs in August / September.

Thanks for the tip. I've looked at that thread and it seems a bit of a nightmare. There was a Lenova Legend that seemed promising, but has lots of problems with black screening. Seems like - from what you're saying - that I'm best placed to look for monitors with DP 1.4. I'll see what I can find!

Thanks

Associate
Thanks for the tip. I've looked at that thread and it seems a bit of a nightmare. There was a Lenova Legend that seemed promising, but has lots of problems with black screening. Seems like - from what you're saying - that I'm best placed to look for monitors with DP 1.4. I'll see what I can find!

Thanks

If you want a 1440p 144Hz monitor then its going to have DP 1.4 anyway so if you focus on those specs the DP aspect is irrelevant. Even if you get a Nvidia GPU that by default is DP 1.2 and is a 1xxx series then it can be upgraded to 1.4 by a simple driver update from Nvidia. Not entirely sure on the state of play with AMD there though so maybe someone else will know that but given your OP in relation to GSync I am assuming a Nvidia GPU.

For the record I bought one of the Iiyama monitors mentioned above and its superb, when its not playing up :) There are clearly issues with it but if those get fixed its an absolute steal at the money.

Back
Top Bottom