What did you do to your bike today?

Associate
As I'm still on furlough and can't access my tools (at work) I've had to service at home.

Managed ok with a Halford socket set, GS are a really easy bike to service. It's done 10k miles, carried out a 12k/yearly service per the manual - oil and filter, plugs, final drive oil, air filter, brake fluid and valve clearance check.

Reset service via MotoScan android app. Just need to get out and use the thing now, not ridden it properly since I came back from a Eurotrip in September last year!

IMG-20200515-121550.jpg

IMG-20200515-132552.jpg

IMG-20200515-132547.jpg

Couple of defects found and rectified. Tank filler neck securing bolts had some corrosion showing (aftermarket ones for SW Motech tank bag) so cleaned them up and ACF50 applied, plus re-balanced front wheel.

Man of Honour
Replaced engine case bolts with stainless ones, polished up some washers that you can't get in stainless, spaced out my left hand pilly hanger to bring the exhaust away from the swing arm as a slightly twisted subframe is pretty common meaning aftermarket cans can be a little close to the swingarm.

Knocked the rust off the oil cooler lines and gave them a coat of acf 50 grease and noticed my new clutch cylinder has a small weep from the threads of the bleed nipple so need to strip that down and see if there's anything in the seat or if I've scrapped it by over tightening it :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Cracked my first hollow link riveting the chain this afternoon, actually tried to follow the torque specs on the riveting tool for the first time.
I think I'll carry on doing it by feel...

Transmission breaker
Don
Got chatting to one of the neighbour's wife today as she was walking by whilst I was fiddling with stuff on the driveway. She mentioned her husband has a little cbr125r which he was having a problem with.
I said I could take a look if he wheeled it over to my driveway.
20 minutes later, it's in bits on my driveway, looks like a stuck float causing it to spray fuel out everywhere from an overflow.
I have stuck it in the garage and will try and sort the float out, give it a little service/clean and if I get time wrap some of the panels and see what else I can upgrade from my parts bin :D
I do really enjoy turning little bikes like this around. Makes sense to at least change the oil as it may have had some fuel in it, and I have time during lockdown!

Associate
Fitted a new exhaust today, went with a black widow slip on. Given the price and the decent reviews I thought I'd would be worth a punt.

So far I'm pleased, sound good that's for sure, it's now got that v twin bark, I've left the baffle in for now but I'll see how it goes, it might end up out.
Finish is nice, I felt like I'd find an issue or two given its half the price of things like scorpion and arrow, but I can't find anything.
Included clamps aren't great and one has cracked as I tightened but I've emailed them and hopefully they will send a replacement, if not I'll pick one up easy enough.
Exhaust paste included is far from great, I'm tempted to pick up something better and refit at some point

Compulsory pics,
d3v7mAZ.jpg
50bqirh.jpg

Cracked clip
9KgdsRB.jpg

Man of Honour
ACtC-3c5q7dnf7o5h3kWMP78GyKs5PhWcgOoV_cVdbCsJhNCkgWwwXyO6BO9amX0ErEI37lD_UxXJtQxZZYijdh0D5k1wjzKdZ1bPEp7U5yUsGRxp2L3cf3oKAGTZ3M77V0B84rNfO21GXxg0gB5IT4VJ1fVnw=w1278-h2797-no
ACtC-3cy59Owe4O3HfuVg9WfxOAWjYoapaMJ3wEkCav4uKu4cw109UWiH3f6ETtRquXx4p1GDyqDT13MFRjGh7hlVSmxk7APch7pltpAT04t9F0XM_qNPqi56gersp_ddcB78hLmMQtLYjXZTdUnXiXk5BIjtw=w1278-h2797-no

Finished fitting my chain and sprockets after cracking the first soft rivet last time :rolleyes:
Also got around to putting on the ez grips that have been sat in the draw for months.
Finally ready to ride again.

Soldato
In March I realised that my bike was struggling to start after a few months of inactivity and I’d forgotten to put it on trickle charge...

Thought I’d recovered it a bit after a while on the Oximiser and a few rides recently. However, I went to fill up just now as I’m back to work soon, it struggled a bit but thought nothing of it but ended up having to bump start at the petrol station :p

Ordered a cheap replacement battery as I couldn’t find a Motobatt in stock anywhere.

Soldato
In March I realised that my bike was struggling to start after a few months of inactivity and I’d forgotten to put it on trickle charge...

Thought I’d recovered it a bit after a while on the Oximiser and a few rides recently. However, I went to fill up just now as I’m back to work soon, it struggled a bit but thought nothing of it but ended up having to bump start at the petrol station :p

Ordered a cheap replacement battery as I couldn’t find a Motobatt in stock anywhere.

I had a Oximiser on two bikes which killed both batteries by overcharging and failing to switch off, causing the cells to fail and display symptoms as you suggest. Keep an eye on the charging unit.

Soldato
I had a Oximiser on two bikes which killed both batteries by overcharging and failing to switch off, causing the cells to fail and display symptoms as you suggest. Keep an eye on the charging unit.

It definitely seems to be working fine from what I can see.

Just in case though, what would you recommend instead? Optimate 3?

Man of Honour
I checked out how much the garage would part exchange it for a new bike, and I was very pleased with the results.

I will have owned it for 2 years for only £600 decrease in value if I trade it in.

Man of Honour
Rode it to work for the first time in over 2 months, arrived with big grin, neighbours will soon hate my pre 6am departures though. The Black Widows with baffles out are rather fruity.

Back
Top Bottom