Anyone Watercooling the "Powercolor 5700XT"...

Soldato
As I'm slightly unsure what waterblock to buy as it doesn't feature on many compatability lists, however, I'm probably 99% sure it'll work as it's a standard PCD layout? Am I right on this? It's ugly as sin and I'm building a whole water system and picking up the part so, was looking into this one?

GX19FPC_223751_750x750.jpg

Soldato
OP
Associate

I have the alphacool one for my RedDevil 5700Xt... was soo good looking all lit up I had to vertical mount it. Very good cooling to

Soldato
OP
I have the alphacool one for my RedDevil 5700Xt... was soo good looking all lit up I had to vertical mount it. Very good cooling to
That's the one I went with it's sitting here as the build starts this week so will start a new thread of my project in the Project Logs folder, but yeah looks like a fantastic piece of kit, getting excited now as Case landed yesterday so all ready to go and thinking might do a time lapse of the build as well.

Unforthua tley and annoyingly I can't vertical mount it which is a shame as I've got the LIAN LI MIDI and I'm going rad at the bottom of the case with fans and that means can't fit a vertical mount kit in... otherwise it'll mean bput rad on the back and that's not what I wanted, I wanted the pipes coming along the bottom etc. Hey ho, will still look lovely I'm sure but mine will remain horizontally mounted me thinks.

Associate

how did you find the fitting. I felt without the backplate it was pretty poor given the screws could easily eat into the PCB. The memory/vrm thermal pads were too thin as well.

Soldato
OP

Well, going to have to speak to one of the guys at overclockers. Came to fit my water cooler (which I got this one) and it's not even the same as the GPU. Basically, my GPU is actually the "AXRX 5700XT 8GBD6-3DH" and all of the above blocks are for the "AXRX 5700XT 8GBD6-M3DH" which are a completely different size and shape. I never realised this and I spent ages looking around for this... damn it!!!

Took my GPU all apart took the thermal pads then went to mesh the water block to the card and there we go, won't go anywhere near it...

Praying Overclockers will take the waterblock back as I bought it 18th May, but only really just opened in it as started building my water block.

However, what's even worse now is the fact

A). I've not got no spare thermal pads for my existsing GPU so I can't use it even as it is...
B). I've got a waterblock that simply won't fit that I'm hoping they will accept back but will cost me money even if they do...
C). I don't think now that anyone even does a waterblock for my GPU so I've got a 5700XT and no way of watercooling it...
D). I can't actually do any of my watercooling build now, as I don't want a GPU in it that's air cooled.

To say I'm cheesed off is a major understatement :(

Soldato
OP
what did you do to the thermal pads that were on your GPU?
Hi Mate. I took them off as I was going to replace with the ones that come with the qwater block as they looks better and thicker rather than keep the originals and the thermal paste on teh GPU was poor, terrible infact.

So when I took them off I threw them in the bin hahaha, not realising that the block wouldn't fit lol. Stupid own fault really, so then I realised i've got Grizzly pads in my draw, slapped that on last night and it's all upa nd running and actually runas cooler tbh.

Soldato
Well, going to have to speak to one of the guys at overclockers. Came to fit my water cooler (which I got this one) and it's not even the same as the GPU. Basically, my GPU is actually the "AXRX 5700XT 8GBD6-3DH" and all of the above blocks are for the "AXRX 5700XT 8GBD6-M3DH" which are a completely different size and shape. I never realised this and I spent ages looking around for this... damn it!!!

Took my GPU all apart took the thermal pads then went to mesh the water block to the card and there we go, won't go anywhere near it...

Praying Overclockers will take the waterblock back as I bought it 18th May, but only really just opened in it as started building my water block.

However, what's even worse now is the fact

A). I've not got no spare thermal pads for my existsing GPU so I can't use it even as it is...
B). I've got a waterblock that simply won't fit that I'm hoping they will accept back but will cost me money even if they do...
C). I don't think now that anyone even does a waterblock for my GPU so I've got a 5700XT and no way of watercooling it...
D). I can't actually do any of my watercooling build now, as I don't want a GPU in it that's air cooled.

To say I'm cheesed off is a major understatement :(

This is what puts me off water-cooling GPUs. If I was seriously considering it I'd buy a reference card. Seems very hit and miss whether blocks get produced for the AIB cards. Nothing worse than taking it all apart, buying lots of parts and then not being able to get it back together, I'd be livid, mostly with myself! :p

Associate
My first effort on my Vega didn't go to plan either. Ended up running it with frame limiters and undervolting to stop it overheating for three months, before eventually plucking up the wherewithal to have another go...

Luckily, i nailed it on the second attempt. :D

Back
Top Bottom