LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
Hey Vega, you already got your hands on the 48CX or you got a little excited with your $ig? :)

Excited :D

BTW, can anyone get their C9 into 4K/120Hz 4:2:0 mode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lstTEfWp5Vs

I try that but my screen just ends up garbled.

EDIT:
Ok so I read into it more.. and talked with the guy who made the video. We checked the TV information display.. and he is really only running 1440P/120Hz on his C9.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@aoaaron My reply was to the message I quoted, we know LG confirmed it but the person was suggesting that the 40gbps would case problems. That’s pure speculation.

there is literally no point of implementing anything better than 40gbps if the panel it’s driving can’t utilise it.

It’s not like you’ll see 44gbps on a C9 because it can’t display 12bit colour. Very few people will realistically be able to tell the difference unless they are side by side pixel peeping.

I agree.

Panel as its absolutely maximum performance can do:
HDR
120HZ
10bit

To do 4K HDR 120hz 10bit = 40gbps.

I see no reason why people would need more. Maybe if they want to supersample 8k down to 4k.. lol.... at which point why dont they just play the game at 4k/120hz.

Soldato
nothing stopping you supersampling on device and outputting at the correct resolution.

That said at 4K 120hz I doubt you’ll be able to do that with anything other than old/esports titles where there is little point in doing so.

Soldato
I agree.

Panel as its absolutely maximum performance can do:
HDR
120HZ
10bit

To do 4K HDR 120hz 10bit = 40gbps.

I see no reason why people would need more. Maybe if they want to supersample 8k down to 4k.. lol.... at which point why dont they just play the game at 4k/120hz.

Unless something REALLLLLY dumb like not leaving enough left over for metadata or it causing ARC issues suddenly comes to light after lots of people buy tvs. I'd hold off for testing.

Soldato
Unless something REALLLLLY dumb like not leaving enough left over for metadata or it causing ARC issues suddenly comes to light after lots of people buy tvs. I'd hold off for testing.
doesn't it use the ethernet channel for metadata, sure I read the object audio stuff (atmos) uses that?

Associate
I've been comparing my C9 against my 38LG monitor and noticed something pretty dramatic. The "PC input" "Game Mode" seems to not use wide color gamut and everything looks washed out compared to my monitor and the other non-"Game mode" C9 settings. I switched the input to "Game Console", switched to "Game Mode" there, verified the input lag is just as low as "PC Mode" (Game Console input also keeps proper 4:4:4 chroma), enabled "Wide" color gamut, and it looks way better.

With PC input set Game Mode, the color gamut is locked to "Extended" and won't allow "Wide". Some may say this is less accurate color, but I don't care. I like my colors/games to pop.

Associate
I tried both and cant tell a difference, "PC" in game mode is "auto" color gamut not extended for me on my 55c9 04.71.25 version I cant say it`s washed out it looks great.
All i have to compare with is the 55B7 i have next to it.

PC @ game @ blacks auto is washed out
PC @ game @ blacks low is just like CONSOLE @ game

Last edited:
Associate
Hello fellow C9 owners. Posted this in the CX thread, but was thinking, why not post in this awesome thread and at the same time ask for some suggestions :)
If you have any tips for a first time OLED owner, please tell me, and what settings you like etc guys ?

"Wohoo damn im a happy chap right now. I got the C9 - 55 days ago, and the sucker was fauly. Have vertival lines all over the screen. The store was awesome as I had hoped - will send a new one and take back mine. The think is that just today - same day as the new C9 is beying shiped to me. They droped the price to exact BF levels. Guessing they will all be sold out pretty soon. I was so happy for the price I got but now it's all time low, as said BF - the lowes price. The thing is, I called em up and ask, what about me, and he responded: No problem, I will of course fix it for you. This is the best day ever. C9 is perfection and no downgrade as the CX seems to be :D
I couldent care less about the 120hz BFI crap, they can gladely keep it on the CX. I never use it on my PG279Q. All I want it g-sync, and thats the deal with these lovely LG OLEDS. And oh I also get the full HDMI 2.1 spec and DTS Decoding as we know ;)

Gaming and movie will forever be changed with this Tv. What a time to be alive :)

Associate
Ok they will fix most of that with the 1st major firmware rollout. My C9 was not brilliant in terms of things like EARC handshakes until update three. But LG seems to roll out firmware updates relatively rapidly so not too worried.

Associate
Just got the replasement for the faulty one finaly. Been playing around with it and just wow, im totaly in love. It's even better then I could ever dreamed of. So I say as the rest of you: Once Oled Allways OLED - their is no way going back. Just to good to be true in every aspect really. So happy :)

But guys, im wondering about some settings. If using the Pc input, many options for movies are blacked out. If using e.x game console I got all picture options. Same for you ?
Btw, I use Kodi from my pc. And I also have to disable instant game mode everytime watching movies as it kicks in. Anyway around it and how do you have it set up?

Soldato
Thinking of going with one of these as a monitor / gaming TV too. 55" is big, but seems to be a better option than the 43" ROG and with the questions around the CX this might be the way to go. Convince me boys.

Soldato
Thinking of going with one of these as a monitor / gaming TV too. 55" is big, but seems to be a better option than the 43" ROG and with the questions around the CX this might be the way to go. Convince me boys.

The ROG 43" is decent as i have one but the 48" CX would have been my first choice if it was available at the time,you just can't beat those inky blacks and motion response of OLED.

It would have sat nicely above my 34" ultrawide too:)

Soldato
Yeah ended up getting one, I was bored. Need to find a stand for it now to raise it about 8 inches so I can get my speakers underneath it.

Soldato
OP
Just got the replasement for the faulty one finaly. Been playing around with it and just wow, im totaly in love. It's even better then I could ever dreamed of. So I say as the rest of you: Once Oled Allways OLED - their is no way going back. Just to good to be true in every aspect really. So happy :)

But guys, im wondering about some settings. If using the Pc input, many options for movies are blacked out. If using e.x game console I got all picture options. Same for you ?
Btw, I use Kodi from my pc. And I also have to disable instant game mode everytime watching movies as it kicks in. Anyway around it and how do you have it set up?

Yup. every PC monitor looks like a piece of trash now.
I still do like the 32:9 aspect ratio though. If they ever do an OLED of that.. wow...
I had to quit desk gaming because of OLED.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Got my C9 65” turning up on Thursday. :cool:

Anyone else using a 2080Ti and Gsync? Just wondered what to expect as I’ve made a conscious effort over the years to avoid Gsync and Freesync monitors as I mostly game on TV’s with a controller.

I’ve a feeling it’s going to be flipping fantastic and haven’t been this excited over a gadget for a very long time.

Roll on Ampere and hopefully HDMI 2.1 too.

Back
Top Bottom