Buying my first BBQ - Help!

Associate
Hi all

Iv reached the ripe old age of 33 having never owned a BBQ! :eek:

Id like to buy one to cooking on it weekly. But I really know nothing. Some beginners tips on the below would be helpful:

1) Which size/brand to buy for family of 5? Gas vs coal?

2) Can I store it ouside all year or does it need to be put away?

3) Whats the minimum equipment I need to get started?

4) Marinated chicken, steaks, burgers and hotdogs... Anything else that can be cooked on a BBQ easily?

5) Will it leave a mess on my patio and will the smoke stink out my house?! (assuming bbq is located near the patio doors)

etc etc!

In before 'Webber' - the ocuk trusted brand lol :p

Soldato
budget would help, theres a bbq thread knocking around somewhere think its la cuisine,

But to start off;

1) Size I have a 57cm weber kettle, can happily feed 6 people on it probably more but 6 is the most I've done. As for gas or coal, I don't like gas but thats because I have my BBQ for the flavour and cooking method, if you want one just for the experience and social aspect and not too fussed about the genuine charcoal taste go gas if you want.

2) This depends on budget as higher budget generally = better quality = materials not likely to rust when exposed to the elements. My Weber GBS lives outside all year as I BBQ whatever the weather.

3) if gas, grill, bottle, some utensils and happy to go, for a charcoal you need grill, coal and chimney start with some lighters oh also a grill brush to make cleaning a lot easier.

4) Pretty much anything can be done on the bbq, slow smoke some ribs, skewers, corn on the cob, onions, bacon peppers etc

5) No mess, just keep it clean, if charcoal empty the catch and scrub it down after use.

So gas grills, I have no recommendations as its not something I have ever looked into. A charcoal grill the weber GBS is excellent value for money, very big, and will last. Also has the benefit in that you can successfully smoke stuff in it too.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
What @Snookums said

Love my 57cm Weber kettle, get a chimney starter and it takes all the hassle of lighting and getting even coals to cook on.

Soldato
Weber fan checking in. Also have a 57cm master touch, 47cm premium and one of the smaller camping ones. Always use a chimney starter and not interested in gas. With the one touch is a quick clean up too.

Even got the Weber books. Guess I'm a fan boy...

Soldato
My Weber is over 10 years and going strong. I'm not the most committed of bbq-ers, but I think it's worth getting a good one. They last.

Gas is more convenient, but not by much as long as you get a chimney for your charcoal (I only recently got one, and it's revolutionary!). And you can't beat the smokey taste of a proper bbq.

Soldato
With the circular shape - how even is the heat? Every BBQ I've ever used has always been far hotter in the middle - that's fine, but with only 57cm, if I am cooking 12 lamb chops I want them al to dear nicely, not just the ones in the middle.

Also how do you control the heat with the lid open?

Cheers !

Soldato
With the circular shape - how even is the heat? Every BBQ I've ever used has always been far hotter in the middle - that's fine, but with only 57cm, if I am cooking 12 lamb chops I want them al to dear nicely, not just the ones in the middle.

Also how do you control the heat with the lid open?

Cheers !
With a 57cm you have enough grill space to set up direct and indirect sections. Premium models also come with a temp gauge to remove any guesswork.

Associate
I have a basic Weber 57cm coal BBQ bought on a sale at B&Q when I threw my first BBQ at about 18 years of age. Been kept outside all year round in the open all its life. Still in great condition and going strong another 18 years later. Very impressed with quality and durability.

The only slight frustration is that standard sized chimney starters don't seem to hold quite enough fuel to get the 57cm kettle roaring hot for searing. Last time I checked, it was difficult to find larger chimney starters so sometimes need to use a couple of chimneys when starting the BBQ up.

If I was to buy a new BBQ right now and money was no object I'd get a Kamado Joe ceramic BBQ. If I wanted a good value long lasting BBQ, I'd buy pretty much the same thing again but with a built in temperature gauge.

Permabanned
depends on what you want to spend .. £250-300 will get you a good webber that will last yrs .. and you can smoke and all sorts on it .. £500-1k will get you a joe great piece of kit
a good offset will be £500 or more then you have barrel drums ..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CountryWoodSmoke/ go have a look round here ..
i have a cheap grill £60 from asda a couple of yrs ago and a cheapish offset ..they are doing me well while i find my feet
next year will be upgrading them ..

Associate
As said, the weber is a good all rounder
Don't think it has been mentioned, but get a thermapen digi thermometer at the least

That said, I have a cheap Callow vertical smoker and a Cheap argos Barrel BBQ and both are great

Soldato
I have one of the el cheapo B&Q ones, this one in fact https://www.diy.com/departments/longley-black-charcoal-barbecue/1829861_BQ.prd but i'm sure i paid about £25 for it 4 or 5 years ago. That one is big enough to feed 6-8 people i've found when we've had BBQs in the past and will need pretty much a full bag of charcoal.

I've left it outside the whole time and not cared for it at all and it still seems OK, i probably should start emptying out the ashes before winter to stop it rotting out..

I personally only like cooking on charcoal as even though the gas ones do taste better than using your grill in the kitchen it's just not as good to me, plus there's no occasion in just turning it on!

And to answer another of your questsions, theres not much you can't cook on a BBQ without a bit of determination. I really like doing fish, salmon or anything really goes really well. Get a small frying pan to cook the onions on there at the same time.

Associate
We have a Weber coal bbq. Had it at least 9 years, maybe 10. Kept outside all year round and still going strong.

Soldato
I got one of these (4 burner) for £180 a few years back. Lives outside and has held up pretty well. Still looks good and all works great. I put a cover over it during the winter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainles...Burner-Side-Gas-Grill-Cooker-BBQ/263843621758

However, keep in mind - this is peak buying season. Garden furniture, BBQs etc will all be top price. If you wait till out of season you can get all this stuff much much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom