The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Solicitors don't really get much in the scheme of things. They get far less than traditional estate agents and similar amount to online estate agents. They maybe get double the average broker fee? When you consider that agents have to take pictures, carry out some viewings and then mostly pretend to be "sale progressing" while actually just hyping people up and causing more stress.

Brokers have what a couple of application forms to fill out which you could do yourself?

Don't forget a significant amount of what you pay "the solicitors" isn't going to the solicitors, it's going to 3rd parties. Approx £300 for search fees, £1-200 for land registry and then all sorts of other nonsense especially where flats and new builds with management companies are concerned. All of which go to your solicitor but aren't actually their fees.

That's too much common sense for me. Just let me have my irrational hatred of the solicitors!

I suppose they have to make their money somehow, they're just the easy link in the chain to pick on

Soldato
, they're just the easy link in the chain to pick on
Yeah I know that only too well :rolleyes:

Thankfully I'm good at managing expectations and therefore have very little conflict with my own clients. Usually when I do its because they've been promised something unrealistic by the agents who don't understand the process.

Last edited:
Soldato
After pulling out of our last purchase due to the bad surveyor report we have since found a new house and had the offer accepted. Just got our mortgage documents today for the new property and they have got the address wrong! They have put the address of our estate agents! Hopefully it's a simple changeover but HSBC have been very busy so everything is being delayed.

Associate
After pulling out of our last purchase due to the bad surveyor report we have since found a new house and had the offer accepted. Just got our mortgage documents today for the new property and they have got the address wrong! They have put the address of our estate agents! Hopefully it's a simple changeover but HSBC have been very busy so everything is being delayed.

You could always just buy the estate agents? :D

Soldato
What was in the surveyor report that caused you to pull out?

Soldato
What was in the surveyor report that caused you to pull out?

There were quite a lot of things but the main ones :

1. Will soon need a new roof , the roof is "coming to end of life".
2. So much wrong with the garage it basically needs knocking down and rebuilt. It has an aspestos roof so will be even more expensive.
3. Utility room has sign of water damage due to leak in roof so it needs new roof but also new windows and doors and floors. Basically need knocking down and starting again.
4. No building regulations for any of the Windows, the removal of a load baring wall or the driveway.
5. Depression in the drive starting.
6. Needs all new gutters on the house , garage and man cave.
7. No proof the electrics and gas have had their checks , no proof of boiler service or checks
8. Power cable running from main house to man cave not properly buried to building regulations instead it just ran along the side of the fence.

All in all there were around 25 different things. Basically anything which required building regulations it didn't have. It seems the guy living there did it all by himself. The price of the house didn't reflect any of this and it was sold as a newly renovated house that you could just move in and not have to do anything.

Associate
Well after 7 months I have a date for exchange and completion, which is Monday. Legal fees paid, deposit transferred, insurance sorted. Beers in the fridge and being drunk for a stress free evening!

Permabanned
Well after 7 months I have a date for exchange and completion, which is Monday. Legal fees paid, deposit transferred, insurance sorted. Beers in the fridge and being drunk for a stress free evening!
mine go's thru on fri .. so electrician and builder can go in next week ..seeing as we started this in nov .. glad it's over nearly now ..lol

Soldato
Loads of hard work starts now though.

Fingers crossed things start moving forwards for you soon.

I don't envy you! Moving is never fun (the reward is though)

The mortgage was extended without needing any other payslips etc which was quite nice as we were expecting to have to get all that stuff together again. We keep popping around to the site to see how things are progressing and the roof appears to be going on quite quickly so I expect once that bit is done the insides will go quickly. We get to visit the house once the roof is put on as well, it will probably start to feel real at that point. We have to pay for a few of our upgrades next week then all we have left to pay would be the solicitors. Back to running smoothly.

Moving in will be super easy for us. As we basically only own clothes! and a few other bits that are already all boxed up from when we moved into my grandmothers in March. My GM is about a 5 minute drive to the new house and it'll probably take about 2 trips to get everything in. Probably most time consuming thing will be taking a desk apart. We then have to order all of the furniture and, most importantly, all the gadgets and tech and deal with an onslaught of deliveries the first week

Soldato
@Junglist I had to wait 9 weeks when I first moved in for my sofa's to arrive. I think the bed and other bedroom furniture came quite quickly (thankfully). Also my bed in my new place took about 6 weeks to get delivered but I did have my old bed to sleep on. It might be worth checking if you have your eye on specific furniture so you don't end up without furniture for months!

Soldato
I don't envy you! Moving is never fun (the reward is though)

The mortgage was extended without needing any other payslips etc which was quite nice as we were expecting to have to get all that stuff together again. We keep popping around to the site to see how things are progressing and the roof appears to be going on quite quickly so I expect once that bit is done the insides will go quickly. We get to visit the house once the roof is put on as well, it will probably start to feel real at that point. We have to pay for a few of our upgrades next week then all we have left to pay would be the solicitors. Back to running smoothly.

Moving in will be super easy for us. As we basically only own clothes! and a few other bits that are already all boxed up from when we moved into my grandmothers in March. My GM is about a 5 minute drive to the new house and it'll probably take about 2 trips to get everything in. Probably most time consuming thing will be taking a desk apart. We then have to order all of the furniture and, most importantly, all the gadgets and tech and deal with an onslaught of deliveries the first week

Once you get a date definitely get a sofa on order ASAP, they take ages to show up unless it's already made. Could be a while especially with covid.

White goods I take it are included? if not then they are usually pretty quick so less of a concern. Probably cheap Zanussi crap but I actually had no issues with the white goods from them.

Probably not too bad on general furniture deliveries otherwise, maybe a week or two.

Definitely give the place a good once over once you get the keys, if you log/report any damage they have to fix it, if you leave it longer than 2 weeks then they will blame you for it.

My experience with Linden was that they scratched my stainless steel hob and sink quite badly, presumably when cleaning it. I had new ones put in by them as I pointed it out early.

Whilst they are on site get as much done as you can in terms of fixes. Definitely pay close attention to stuff and log things before you get keys if possible so you don't move in to a train wreck.

In my case attention to detail was lacking all over the shop, and my floors and walls were simply uneven in places. I had them back to replace both my bathroom floors as they had put the floorboards down when they were wet, and when drying they didn't stay flat, then they just put the laminate over the top of that.

Soldato
@Junglist I had to wait 9 weeks when I first moved in for my sofa's to arrive. I think the bed and other bedroom furniture came quite quickly (thankfully). Also my bed in my new place took about 6 weeks to get delivered but I did have my old bed to sleep on. It might be worth checking if you have your eye on specific furniture so you don't end up without furniture for months!
Once you get a date definitely get a sofa on order ASAP, they take ages to show up unless it's already made. Could be a while especially with covid.

White goods I take it are included? if not then they are usually pretty quick so less of a concern. Probably cheap Zanussi crap but I actually had no issues with the white goods from them.

Probably not too bad on general furniture deliveries otherwise, maybe a week or two.

Definitely give the place a good once over once you get the keys, if you log/report any damage they have to fix it, if you leave it longer than 2 weeks then they will blame you for it.

My experience with Linden was that they scratched my stainless steel hob and sink quite badly, presumably when cleaning it. I had new ones put in by them as I pointed it out early.

Whilst they are on site get as much done as you can in terms of fixes. Definitely pay close attention to stuff and log things before you get keys if possible so you don't move in to a train wreck.

In my case attention to detail was lacking all over the shop, and my floors and walls were simply uneven in places. I had them back to replace both my bathroom floors as they had put the floorboards down when they were wet, and when drying they didn't stay flat, then they just put the laminate over the top of that.

Ah we're just getting a pretty standard 'off the shelf' sofa and Pax wardrobe from Ikea and it's pretty much always in stock so we should be good to go - hopefully. The bed/mattress are from John Lewis and again something we hope, after looking online a lot, that we should be able to have it delivered quite quickly.

We've been upgraded to whirpool appliances and we changed from gas hob to an induction one but we've been told to go through with a fine tooth comb! Luckily there is going to be a fair bit more of building going on so they'll be there for a while. A friend moved to the site last year and said the whatsapp group (which I have no intention of joining) still has people complaining about skirting boards etc but we have a rough idea of things to look out for

We thought getting a new build would give us less headaches... we're not so sure now haha.

Back
Top Bottom