The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I didn't want a new monitor until I read your post and then suddenly my Dell ultrasharp 24" didn't seem that good anymore. Couldn't find one anywhere and 2nd hand wasn't cheap @ around 400 quid mark, so I have been looking at other monitors, but they were more money, then I found one on amazon.de brand new for €269, chuffed is the word...
Now I need a complete re-arrange of my tiny 6' x 6' office cube in the basement and a new desk as it won't fit on my corner desk unless it is nearly touching my face!
Cheers for this, I was completely unaware of this monitor, looks like a great upgrade for me....

Last night this monitor was on offer:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/re...-130-srgb-95-dci-p3-at-ebay-just-acer-3453658

Caporegime

That was an absolute steal if your wanted a general purpose monitor esp for photo editing.

It has one of the highest contrast ratios of any IPS panel, 50% more than most, low black depth almost competing with VA, 135% of sRGB and 95% of the DCI-P3 and its 4k and the perfect 32" size.

You wont get a better photo editing panel without paying 2,34 or even 5 times as much money.

Last edited:
Soldato
That was an absolute steal if your wanted a general purpose monitor esp for photo editing.

It has one of the highest contrast ratios of any IPS panel, 50% more than most, low black depth almost competing with VA, 135% of sRGB and 95% of the DCI-P3 and its 4k and the perfect 32" size.

You wont get a better photo editing panel without paying 2,34 or even 5 times as much money.
That's a nice deal, would have snapped one of them up.
I was very tempted myself but just bought an XT20 and another lense,so couldn't stretch to it right now! :(

Although the reviews say it isn't great for gaming,it does have FreeSync which my current monitor does not have - my UP2516D will have to solder on for the immediate future.

Soldato
I was very tempted myself but just bought an XT20 and another lense,so couldn't stretch to it right now! :(

Although the reviews say it isn't great for gaming,it does have FreeSync which my current monitor does not have - my UP2516D will have to solder on for the immediate future.

Age of Empires 2 is the only thing I play on the PC now.
I'm still rocking an X79 3930K with dual 290's set up, what really impressed me was that I can run the monitor from the display port 2.1, I was expecting to have to buy a new gfx card

Last edited:
Soldato
Age of Empires 2 is the only thing I play on the PC now.
I'm still rocking an X79 3930K with dual 290's set up, what really impressed me was that I can run the monitor from the display port 2.1, I was expecting to have to buy a new gfx card

Well for me,I also don't play too many fast paced games,so the FreeSync would have helped with some of the games I would have played.

Soldato
I didn't want a new monitor until I read your post and then suddenly my Dell ultrasharp 24" didn't seem that good anymore. Couldn't find one anywhere and 2nd hand wasn't cheap @ around 400 quid mark, so I have been looking at other monitors, but they were more money, then I found one on amazon.de brand new for €269, chuffed is the word...
Now I need a complete re-arrange of my tiny 6' x 6' office cube in the basement and a new desk as it won't fit on my corner desk unless it is nearly touching my face!
Cheers for this, I was completely unaware of this monitor, looks like a great upgrade for me....

Damn, should have known it was too good to be true, just had a refund to my monzo from Amazon. de :mad: No reason given on the site, order just cancelled.
Back to hunting for a decent monitor again for editing

Soldato
This was my COVIOD cheer up package
TjbI0eS.jpg

Manfrotto 190 4 section carbon Fibre XPRO tripod
XPRO ballhead
Breakthrough Filters X100 Filter holder and a couple of their filters.
3 stop ND Filter
10 Stop ND filter
Some step up rings
24-105 lens, I have been borrowing a friends whilst he continues his love affair with the 24mm GM - thought it might be a good idea if I got my own seeing as I think it is a good walkaround lens..
Manfrotto Windsor Reporters bag, like the look of this one so I thought why not, I have a full waterproof bag for winter.
I also signed up for a year to the new ON1 Cloud service as I use the software a lot..

Associate
Had a D800 and didn’t like it. The plan is this and the pro version of the EOS R when it lands. This combo has faster focus, better ergonomics, better colour and a better 100-400 so suits me. Been wanting to try it for a while so after 3 big disputes with Sony UK which left me out of pocket, I decided I will no longer buy UK equipment and will never buy sony again despite being a Sony fanboy for over 20 years. I know of two other people who have had issues with Sony equipment lately too (both pros).

A friend of mine is waiting for the EOS R5 and has recently purchased EF 100-400 MKii ( currently has EOS 6D Mki ) and loves it. It is sharp, quick AF and much, much better than the MKi 100-400
I am looking to get a Used Sony A7iii or wait for the A7iv depending what improvements / upgrades are on the new model.
Should I be worried about buying one in regard to your experience with Sony ! ?

I am also very tempted to get the MKii 100-400 myself. I have a 70-300L which is a great lens, however the 100-400 MKii gives that greater reach at Airshows, Motorsports and dragonfly's.
I also have sigma 150-600 Contemporary which is a beast of a lens !

Associate
A friend of mine is waiting for the EOS R5 and has recently purchased EF 100-400 MKii ( currently has EOS 6D Mki ) and loves it. It is sharp, quick AF and much, much better than the MKi 100-400
I am looking to get a Used Sony A7iii or wait for the A7iv depending what improvements / upgrades are on the new model.
Should I be worried about buying one in regard to your experience with Sony ! ?

I am also very tempted to get the MKii 100-400 myself. I have a 70-300L which is a great lens, however the 100-400 MKii gives that greater reach at Airshows, Motorsports and dragonfly's.
I also have sigma 150-600 Contemporary which is a beast of a lens !
My issue was compatibility issues with an A7Rii and the 24-70gm which they wouldn't take back so it was sell for a big loss or upgrade to the A7Riii has they had no intentions of fixing it. Then my local sony store damaged my 70-200 leaving me a £500 bill. I have made friends with a good contact since so bought the R4 and what do you know, the issues from the Rii / 24-70 are just like the ones with the R4 and 200-600.

Soldato
50009317721_81af518ea4_c.jpg

At last my dream combination to support my macro gear, Novoflex Castel L focusing rack paired with the Novoflex MagicBall MB50 ballhead. Superb engineering, so smooth to operate and everything stays exactly where I put it.

Associate
My issue was compatibility issues with an A7Rii and the 24-70gm which they wouldn't take back so it was sell for a big loss or upgrade to the A7Riii has they had no intentions of fixing it. Then my local sony store damaged my 70-200 leaving me a £500 bill. I have made friends with a good contact since so bought the R4 and what do you know, the issues from the Rii / 24-70 are just like the ones with the R4 and 200-600.

I have read some articles on SONY services centres that there are not that many around the country and you have to post them off. Which adds time and cost to the repair of our gear.
I was hoing to get a Used Sony A7iii and use Sigma MC-11 adapter to mount my canon L & Sigma glass. As the Sony G & GM glass to way to expensive at the moment and used prices are still high as well.
Would you recommend the A7iii as a realible camera ?

And

And

Associate
No postage cost, you are given a freepost address to send things to. Near Bridgend IIRC.

I have read some articles on SONY services centres that there are not that many around the country and you have to post them off. Which adds time and cost to the repair of our gear.
I was hoing to get a Used Sony A7iii and use Sigma MC-11 adapter to mount my canon L & Sigma glass. As the Sony G & GM glass to way to expensive at the moment and used prices are still high as well.
Would you recommend the A7iii as a realible camera ?

And

And

Associate
Yeah a couple of my bodies have been there but I'm at the other end of Wales so drop-off was a non-starter.

Correct, it’s in Pencoed which is just down the road from me. I had my A6000 repaired there and I just dropped it in and picked it up, benefit of knowing the general manager at the time. Won’t be so lucky now though.

Back
Top Bottom