The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
How are peoples experiences with the Gas addon? I used it for the first time on my Ooni 3 last night and found it took longer than expected to heat up the stone. In the end I put the door on and left the chimney open (ala pellets but without the fire guard)

Cooking went well, door off during the cook was helpful as you can see how its getting on. I would say the base wasnt as crispy (probably due the stone loosing heat). Anyone else have similar experiences?

Soldato
How are peoples experiences with the Gas addon? I used it for the first time on my Ooni 3 last night and found it took longer than expected to heat up the stone. In the end I put the door on and left the chimney open (ala pellets but without the fire guard)

Cooking went well, door off during the cook was helpful as you can see how its getting on. I would say the base wasnt as crispy (probably due the stone loosing heat). Anyone else have similar experiences?
Yeah I'm not impressed with it, just can't get the stone hot enough.
My next pizza oven is going to be an electric one easy do 500c.

Associate
With the door closed during the initial heatup, it reached approx 350c, I didnt check it after that though. Next time I think I'll put the door on when not using it to see how that helps, a bit dissapointed though.

Associate
OK gang, so please explain:

2 flours Caputo Cuoco and Pizzeria, mixed exactly the same time and to the same percentages and to the same ferment. Why such a difference?

65% hydration

Flour: 480g

Water: 310ml

Yeast: 4.8g

Salt: 9.6g

https://imgur.com/DwwTPSB

DwwTPSB

Associate
The last few times I have just used grated mozzarella as they didn't have decent buffalo. I have used buffalo before which is good - if you do plan on using buffalo (or anything that isn't grated) make sure you dry it as you can (kitchen paper is your friend).

Soldato
The last few times I have just used grated mozzarella as they didn't have decent buffalo. I have used buffalo before which is good - if you do plan on using buffalo (or anything that isn't grated) make sure you dry it as you can (kitchen paper is your friend).

Thanks, I will use mozzarella then and perhaps some cheddar as well.

Soldato
grating a moz ball has got to be in the Michelin chef skill set - (per earlier discussion) the dry moz blocks should comply, but balls have too much liquid ?

About the only buffalo stuff we can get is Schekters stuff from Waitrose, which wasn't all that, versus their basic, at maybe a 1/4 of the cost.

I do think, I've frequently overcooked the moz, it is the most sensitive to overcooking, and is often bubbling when pizza is removed.

Associate
I know it's not quite what the OP was about but has anyone used the frying pan/grill method where you cook the base on a hot pan then finish off the toppings under the grill? We now make pizzas at least once a week because the pizzas produced are so nice. Laying the dough straight into a very hot thick pan makes the base super crispy - I like a very thin base and the result is a thin pizza slice that holds its shape when picked up.

Associate
I know it's not quite what the OP was about but has anyone used the frying pan/grill method where you cook the base on a hot pan then finish off the toppings under the grill? We now make pizzas at least once a week because the pizzas produced are so nice. Laying the dough straight into a very hot thick pan makes the base super crispy - I like a very thin base and the result is a thin pizza slice that holds its shape when picked up.

Yes, thats my current method. Its by no means a comparable quality to a dedicated pizza oven but its about as good as you'll get with a home oven. My process is:

1. Put griddle pan in oven for 30mins 2" under grill, at joint convection and grill function at max temp (mine goes to 300 deg c) for 30mins
2. Very carefully lift griddle from oven and place on safe surface
3. Quickly lay pizza dough to griddle (I have mine ready on a wooden pizza peel)
4. Quickly add sauce and toppings
5. Straight back in to oven for around 4-6mins

The base is cooking on the blazing hot griddle as you add toppings, then the intense heat of the oven and grill helps finish the top and side crusts.

I use this particular griddle here:
611fhlFAqOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Associate
Has anyone got both the G3 Ferrari and an Ooni?

Would the resulting pizza be vastly different between the two? Still waiting to pick up an Ooni but then a post from Sonny reminded me the Ferrari could be an option too.

Associate
Yes, thats my current method. Its by no means a comparable quality to a dedicated pizza oven but its about as good as you'll get with a home oven. My process is:

1. Put griddle pan in oven for 30mins 2" under grill, at joint convection and grill function at max temp (mine goes to 300 deg c) for 30mins
2. Very carefully lift griddle from oven and place on safe surface
3. Quickly lay pizza dough to griddle (I have mine ready on a wooden pizza peel)
4. Quickly add sauce and toppings
5. Straight back in to oven for around 4-6mins

The base is cooking on the blazing hot griddle as you add toppings, then the intense heat of the oven and grill helps finish the top and side crusts.

I use this particular griddle here:
611fhlFAqOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
As above but I heat mine on gas hob till it’s smoking hot then as above although I did find out that I was leaving it on the hob too long ( I was waiting till the base browned) but that was giving me a crisp base which I didn’t like so now the pizza is built as quickly as possible and put back in the oven to finish

Caporegime
Has anyone got both the G3 Ferrari and an Ooni?

Would the resulting pizza be vastly different between the two? Still waiting to pick up an Ooni but then a post from Sonny reminded me the Ferrari could be an option too.

The ooni is better but the g3 ferrari is pretty epic for £100.

I would use it over a conventional oven or pan on a hob then oven and grill any day.

It does have a steep learning curve though. Rotate the pizza a few times. It does cook slightly uneven there are miss to make them better mine is stock.

Back
Top Bottom