• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
I really don't understand why CDPR gets so much love.
This game is 7 years in the making and it could very well be a train wreck launch......new consoles, new AMD/nvidia gpus, ray tracing, and then the game itself not living up to people's expectations.

Soldato
I really don't understand why CDPR gets so much love.
This game is 7 years in the making and it could very well be a train wreck launch......new consoles, new AMD/nvidia gpus, ray tracing, and then the game itself not living up to people's expectations.

I don't either,but after seeing how the community was sending threats to reviewers,who pointed out some bugs/issues with W3,you criticise CDPR at your own peril!

Associate
I think CD Projeckt having such good ethics in terms of community relations and not using microtransactions, etc, and giving really full expansions gives them a ton of goodwill, but as for the games? Not great so far for me, and that's as someone who's owned the Witcher 1 on disc since 2010, much the same complaints then as now. Great World building visually, but poor voice casting, lack of customisation, terrible combat.

I believe it started as a mod for Neverwinter Knights 2 if anyone else can remember that, and it felt like a mod more than a game. Ended up in the swamps with extremely boring and limited combat.

Witcher 2, massive hype, visually great, but had some terrible pacing and level design, had to force myself to complete it, again boring combat being the worst culprit. Felt like level were designed on the fly without much forethought by non professional designers like they were making a mod.

Somewhere between Witcher 2 and 3 the hype got insane, possibly even due to the Polish government getting involved. Witcher 3 is a good game overall, but if you don't like watching canned spinning animations x 100 each fight you're out of luck. Games like Dark Souls were leagues better at combat and customisation, and while different styles, both still both action RPGs.

Cyber Punk 2077 can amend a lot of those for me simply the create your own character and choose combat style aspect to it.

Caporegime
I think CD Projeckt having such good ethics in terms of community relations and not using microtransactions, etc, and giving really full expansions gives them a ton of goodwill, but as for the games? Not great so far for me, and that's as someone who's owned the Witcher 1 on disc since 2010, much the same complaints then as now. Great World building visually, but poor voice casting, lack of customisation, terrible combat.

I believe it started as a mod for Neverwinter Knights 2 if anyone else can remember that, and it felt like a mod more than a game. Ended up in the swamps with extremely boring and limited combat.

Witcher 2, massive hype, visually great, but had some terrible pacing and level design, had to force myself to complete it, again boring combat being the worst culprit. Felt like level were designed on the fly without much forethought by non professional designers like they were making a mod.

Somewhere between Witcher 2 and 3 the hype got insane, possibly even due to the Polish government getting involved. Witcher 3 is a good game overall, but if you don't like watching canned spinning animations x 100 each fight you're out of luck. Games like Dark Souls were leagues better at combat and customisation, and while different styles, both still both action RPGs.

Cyber Punk 2077 can amend a lot of those for me simply the create your own character and choose combat style aspect to it.
CDProject put a hell of a lot of love and detail and passion into their games and it shows in the final product. Witcher and Witcher 2 were proper RPG's that really focused on story, they had soul and reminded me of the golden years of RPG gaming when studios put so much effort into immersing you in that world. Witcher 3 is just immense and oozes quality and atmosphere from every pore, an undertaking that few studios outside of illustrious names like Bethesda and Bioware can accomplish. Cyberpunk taking 7 years to make isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing because the amount of world-building detail that went into it should be immense.

Their reputation has been earned based on the quality of their AAA games.

Associate
CDProject put a hell of a lot of love and detail and passion into their games and it shows in the final product. Witcher and Witcher 2 were proper RPG's that really focused on story, they had soul and reminded me of the golden years of RPG gaming when studios put so much effort into immersing you in that world. Witcher 3 is just immense and oozes quality and atmosphere from every pore, an undertaking that few studios outside of illustrious names like Bethesda and Bioware can accomplish. Cyberpunk taking 7 years to make isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing because the amount of world-building detail that went into it should be immense.

Their reputation has been earned based on the quality of their AAA games.

That's just your opinion on them, no more valid or correct than mine or anyone else's. You clearly value the story and World building aspects which is fine.

Also I didn't mention a game taking 7 years being bad, that's another poster, they should take as long as it needs to get a game right. I'm actually positive about Cyberpunk 2077, much more so than the Witcher for reasons I've already stated. You're getting some posts mixed up there.

Soldato
Wrong my memory isn't failing - yours is(if you want to use terms like that). Because Kepler performance was so poor,CDPR added extra options in the menu system,so Kepler users could muck around with settings. If Nvidia had fixed it all,there wouldn't be a "need" for the options.

Don't bother with the sarcasm, Cat.

What options do you think were added as a result of kepler issues?

I can tell you what i remember:

* extended post process sharpening options
* hairworks amount
* hairworks AA

Now since Kepler cards were having issues even with hairworks switched off, you can forget the last two. What else have I missed?

It also didn't explain why AMD GPUs had problems too,ie,when there was a GCN based console port - AMD called out CDPR publicly for what they were doing. The console port does some of the stuff such as hair animations in a different way. At Nvidia's behest they added Gameworks options 2 months before launch,which replaced the existing implementations.

AMD had problems because, as they claimed, they couldn't optimise for hairworks because it was closed off to them. This is despite AMD being able to optimise for gameworks features in Watch_Dogs just fine though so idunno :confused:

Nobody forced CDPR to use Gameworks or not to properly add options at launch,so Kepler users could easily adjust options. They knew very well most gamers are not dorks on forums,who would be searching for text files,etc.

CDPR using gameworks wasnt the issue for kepler.

I don't blame Nvidia for that,as they wanted to sell Maxwell GPUs,CDPR entered the agreement knowing what was required of them.
You should, as it was nVidia who released fixes in their driver4s to address keplar performance not just in TW3 but other games as well.

Most games companies will test their performance on lots of hardware prior to launch - or do you think they make up the technical specs required to run a game?

So CDPR,would have known at launch,the performance issues,yet chose to launch it that way. They are both developer and publisher of the game.

And you dont think nVidia were aware of the issues prior to launch when CDPR were using gameworks?

Most Nvidia users were not on Maxwell GPUs,by then,they were on Kepler.

So?

Next time don't try to attack people to defend your love of CDPR. But I remember,how some reviewers were attacked over bugs/problems in W3,and the community harrassed them massively. Then months later CDPR actually patched those problems. It is never ever the fault of CDPR,just because they are "nice" to the community. They have got away with lots of bugs,optimisation problems,etc that most developers would get criticism over.

Me? I haven't attacked you. Is that what you think this is? an attack?

Let's be clear about this, CDPR did NOT patch anything regarding kepler. There is not one mention of Kepler, or 780, in any of the patch notes. There is a mention of keplar performance in the release notes for the nVidia drivers i mentioned, however.

Well who knows,maybe I will be wrong,and it isn't some poorly optimised game when it is launched. Hopefully I am!

Well, as long as you can tell the difference between poor optimisation and a genuinely taxing game engine then you should be ok. As long as your memory doesnt fail you again.

Last edited:
Soldato

Agreed,but I also think it also shows how poor the rest of the industry has gone,so people don't look at the games in absolute terms,but relative to what is out there. Hence they look fantastic,but people are willing to gloss over problems. Some of what CDPR are doing,is what was normally done many years ago. For me,the combat style is definitely more aligned to using controllers(the whole tumbling around and lock on mechanics),and a game such as Dark Souls or Chivalry has better combat mechanics IMHO OFC.

I agree with your assessment of Cyberpunk 2077....the fact you can create your own character(not locked into being someone else),and variety in combat styles look a big improvement.

Soldato
I guess you're not playing PC games in general and just make assumption about different stuff based on marketing materials. :)

Spoiler alert: There plenty of PC games that are very demanding even if they lack RT. 3 quick examples: try maxing out Deus Ex: Mankind Devided , RDR 2, Watch Dogs 2 in 1080p...

I don't play games on PC that are marketed for Nvidia. And there are plenty of games not sponsored by them? You don't say :eek:. To be fair, I've not read that those games were played below 1080p, below 30fps.
https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077...dlss-2-0-enabled-on-an-rtx-2080ti-powered-pc/

The reason why I would choose to play this game on console, if I decide to buy it, is because they must go through a validation process that will ensure that the game will run correctly.

On the flip side I quite enjoy Detroit: Become Human at 4K. Beautiful looking game.:D

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's just your opinion on them, no more valid or correct than mine or anyone else's. You clearly value the story and World building aspects which is fine.

Also I didn't mention a game taking 7 years being bad, that's another poster, they should take as long as it needs to get a game right. I'm actually positive about Cyberpunk 2077, much more so than the Witcher for reasons I've already stated. You're getting some posts mixed up there.
It's not "just my opinion", it is the opinion of the vast majority of the casual and professional gaming community. The games were critical and commercial successes and have a widespread reputation for being excellent. There is overwhelming evidence to support that conclusion online.

Associate
It's not "just my opinion", it is the opinion of the vast majority of the casual and professional gaming community. The games were critical and commercial successes and have a widespread reputation for being excellent. There is overwhelming evidence to support that conclusion online.

I've never said they weren't well received by many, but I've given my detailed opinion and others have agreed with me as well, even in this topic.

Contrary opinions exist whether you want to accept them or not. I've played the games, I didn't think they were that great. I've given valid reasons.

You need to get back to Utopia and stop being so bothered about protecting a game, you're getting mixed up with posts and not having a great time it seems.

Associate

I referenced the 7 years and to clarify I didn't say 7 years was necessarily bad but development started along time ago, before PS5, XboxX, RTX etc existed. They are at a very high risk here delaying the release to implement and fine tune additional features that were never part of the original scope of the game. They could create their own destruction.

People liked Witcher 3 but people also disliked it.... If the game was made by anyone else (a bigger dev/publisher)it probably wouldn't have had the same following.

Cyberpunk is a completely different game(its even first person) it could turn out great or terrible. Following something blindly and hyping it up is what creates disappointment when it doesn't all work out.

I won't preorder it, I won't buy a GPU/console just to play it either. And I won't assume its going to be benchmark of next gen gaming.

Associate
Do people not realise this game has 5 months of bug fixing and optimisation left? Even at 1080p with DLSS I thought it looked fantastic even better than the 2018 footage which was already impressive.

Soldato
I referenced the 7 years and to clarify I didn't say 7 years was necessarily bad but development started along time ago, before PS5, XboxX, RTX etc existed. They are at a very high risk here delaying the release to implement and fine tune additional features that were never part of the original scope of the game. They could create their own destruction.

Well with W3,they delayed it 3 months for "bug fixing" and 2 months before release plonked in Gameworks features,which probably added more problems! :p

Caporegime
well I can't create an alternative reality to gather evidence to back up my opinion.

I'm just concerned Cyberpunk 2077 could be cd projects Duke Nukem Forever moment.:D
I would say that there is very little chance of this happening. If anything, I think it will exceed expectations and give me that fuzzy feeling that I had when the original Deus Ex came out. It just looks absolutely amazing and it's clear from all the interviews that a mammoth amount of love and effort has gone into this game and I predict CDP's reputation and profits will explode. Lets see in a few months! :)

Soldato
According to reports it will have over double the RT cores. As far as I know, RT capability is not dictated by memory bandwidth.

We believe that recent approaches have failed to consider the performance impact of memory accesses in GPU and how their cost affects the overall performance of the application. In this work we show that by reducing memory bandwidth and footprint we are able to achieve significant improvements in BVH traversal times.

https://dspace5.zcu.cz/bitstream/11025/26279/1/Lousada.pdf

Man of Honour

The main focus of that article is the limitations of doing ray tracing on a general compute architecture (and hence why AMD is making changes to work around some of those limitations with their approach of leveraging the shaders for RT) the way nVidia are approaching it is a bit different and is a bit (though not entirely) different in terms of where the slowdowns are.

Also the changes to do RT in Turing are relatively crude and more the nature of an add-on than the architecture built from the ground up with it - people shouldn't be surprised at a big change in efficiency when it comes to the next incarnation.

Back
Top Bottom